What Veeky Forums should I read to become more versed in architecture?

What Veeky Forums should I read to become more versed in architecture?

Other urls found in this thread:

de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traktat_(Architektur)
youtube.com/watch?v=qd3MJPHaotQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Probably books that have to do with architecture. Just a wild guess, maybe there are some people who know about architecture browsing Veeky Forums who can give a better answer.

Ballard wrote two books loosely related: High-Rise (deals with brutalism), and Concrete Island (deals with urbanism).

Ask Veeky Forums, no meming

Vitruvius is where things start, IIRC.

Scruton has a good book on architecture also.

Bruno Zevi's "Architecture as Space: How to Look at Architecture".
It's where I started at least.

this is surprisingly fascinating

Vitruvius
Leonardo
Leon Battista Alberti

this is all you need

paolo soleri is fun

>High-Rise (deals with brutalism)

>there are people this stupid browsing Veeky Forums

other user here, i read vitruvius' first couple of books and was blackpilled by the tedious material descriptions and definitions (column shaft ratios, "larch doesn't burn easily", "here's how to build a gnomon"). are palladio or alberti any better or should i skip everything until gottfried semper and modern aesтнeтιcs?

Alberti and Palladio are good, but Leonardo will btfo of you. Anyway you should expect a certain amount of techical data from every book about architecture.

gonna check this one out, relevant to my interests

also I'm a sucker for really specific titles

de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traktat_(Architektur)
lists influential treatises

>start with Vitruvius
This meme has gone too far.

Just get a texbook from Bryan Ward-Perkins and you're good to go. You may as well watch:
youtube.com/watch?v=qd3MJPHaotQ

Correct. Start rather with John Ruskin's The Stones of Venice. He immediately acquaints one with all the classic architectural members (who else really does this today barring charts?) in some of the most beautiful prose in the English language. Readers of Proust will recognize Marcel's obsession. Discover the reason for this and verse yourself in practical architecture at the same time.

>When will you disembarrass yourselves of the lymphatic ideology of that deplorable Ruskin, which I would like to cover with so much ridicule that you would never forget it? With his morbid dream of primitive and rustic life, with his nostalgia for Homeric cheeses and legendary wool-spinners, with his hatred for the machine, steam power, and electricity, that maniac of antique simplicity is like a man who, after having reached full physical maturity, still wants to sleep in his cradle and feed himself at the breast of his decrepit old nurse in order to recover his thoughtless infancy.
– F. T. Marinetti

>Futurists were not the airplanes they wanted to be but they were at any rate a pack of very nice, noisy Vespas.
– I.F. Stravinsky

Albert Speer's autobio

Right, I'm familiar with Ruskin's outmoded political philosophy, etc. In the book mentioned, however, his only real argument is a plea for functionality over needless ornament while defending Gothic architecture as more functional than Renaissance architecture. Otherwise it's a useful introduction to architecture in general. In the future, before posting, have at least some vague idea etc.

backpack italy in the summer and find out what you like