Welcome to the Veeky Forums challenge: Vote Thread: IRISH JOY Edition

Welcome to the Veeky Forums challenge: Vote Thread: IRISH JOY Edition

The theme for this month was POTATOES

Dishes are judged on the following criteria, so keep that in mind when voting:

-Presentation: The appearance of items on the plate; plating skills
-Originality: Creativity in composing the dish
-Appeal: How appetizing the food looks/whether or not the dish appeals to your personal taste as a voter
-Challenge Goals: How closely the entry followed the challenge goal(s)

The distinction between Presentation and Appeal: If someone submits an artfully arranged but burnt steak as an entry, it may score high in Presentation but low in appeal.

While you're voting, or not voting, why not suggest a theme for next month?
Then people can vote on that, or not.

>VOTE PLS
>ALSO SUGGEST THEMES PLS

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.Veeky
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Entry The First by Loco

>I'm not good at taking photos but this is my entry. It's a curry potato taco with ground pork, curried tortillas, kewpie mayo, okonomiyaki sauce, radishes, katsuoboshi, and grated salt cured egg on top. Most of my prep was done yesterday, with the salt cured eggs being started on Friday.

Entry The Second by Toys

>Kugelis by Toys.
>I still can't take photos for shit.

Entry The Third by Anonymous

>Boiled
>Mashed
>Stuck in stew

>You can barely see the potatoes but it tastes good anyway, can I enter now?

Entry The Fourth by Mamushka Doll

>Red potato lobster bisque with brie duchess potatoes and purple dauphin potatoes. Description and pics to follow later

>Lobster bisque usually uses rice but this is a potato challenge so I used those instead. First I steamed lobster tails and reserved the liquid. Set aside the meat and rough chopped some carrot, celery, onion, garlic, with bay leaves and lemon thyme, then sautéed it with the lobster shells. Also roasted half a bell pepper and used some saffron. In a pot I browned cubed red potatoes until cooked and added a tablespoon of tomato paste then deglazed with chardonnay. Was going to use a brut champagne but didn't have it and decided not to use the rosé.
>Discarded lobster shells and herbs then added the lobster meat, vegetables, and liquid to the pot with the potatoes and let it all simmer together then blended it and added half and half and thyme.

>For the duchess potatoes I browned white potatoes until cooked through then mashed with triple creme brie and sour cream and green scallions, piped onto a baking dish and baked at 400.

>For the potato dauphin I boiled purple potatoes until tender then mashed into a choux paste and fried. They came out light and airy, and held a nice blue color that my phone just couldn't capture.

>Everything tasted great by itself and worked really well together. Never made any of this before. It was a complete pain in the ass, but definitely worth the effort.

Entry The Fifth by Anonymous (A Second One)

>ok everyone step out of the way for Potatoes a la Pac-Man from Pakistan

>start boiling potatoes
>halfway through boil, add carrot chips

>meanwhile, boil some frozen peas
>start stir-frying mushrooms in sesame oil
>strain and add peas to the 'shrooms (+ salt)
>after a little sauteed, set aside to free up pan

>strain 'taters and carrots
>put in pan with virgin+ olive oil
>after a bit of frying to get a nice texture on the potatoes, add korma sauce
>sauce was store-bought so it's a bit too mild
>add cinnamon, black pepper, turmeric, and oregano
>forgot about the shrooms/peas? nooope, add those and mix with the sauced up earth-veggies

>my presentation is like this cause I already ate a bunch of it, and I was too lazy/hungry to put it on a plate (especially since half was gonna be my lunch for next day)

>forgot to say I added a little chopped kale along with the peas/shrooms at the end

Entry The Sixth by Webmfag

>I bring your, the world's favourite potato dish: vodka!

>Lavender sugar syrup, mixed with the standardest of potato vodkas - smells like an old lady, goes nice with lemon juice.

>~webmfag

Entry The Seventh by Skooma

>Ingredients in pic related: bacon, apple, potato.

>cut apple and potato into tiny chunks, keep in bowl for now
>fry bacon in a pan, keep grease in pan
>when done with bacon, put apple and potato into pan
>while apple and potato are cooking, crush crispy bacon into chunks
>mix it all together

>And here's the finished product. It's more of a side dish really. It's on my personal list of Thanksgiving essentials. Goes great with steak or mac&cheese. Good with red wine, bad with white wine.

>Good things to add include cinnamon and carrots.

>I'll call the dish brekky&bacon on behalf of

Entry The Eigth by Shake-kun

>Just read up on it and that's similar to a dish we eat where I'm from called gattò. Ours is a mashed potato casserole layered with smoked cheese and various cured meats, topped with fried breadcrumbs. It's served with salad on the side. I was considering making that for the challenge but decided to go with a dessert instead. Gonna pick up ingredients for it Wednesday, although I'm cooking baker's lamb and potatoes for lunch today.

>I'll be uploading it in a minute. It's the gattó thing I described in , but the sweet version (with sugar in it and dried fruit).

>Haven't had the sweet version since I was a wee lad weearing an orange triangle and chasing cows, so I was excited to see if I can recreate it from memory with no further information beyond what I can recall my mother doing in the kitchen IE this is wholly by guesstimate.
>Plain flour, cornflour (cornstarch), bicarb, salt and sugar. I figured cutting plain flour with cornflour would work as a sub. And it does.

>Leftover, unseasoned, unmilked, unbuttered mash from several days ago. Also eggs, softened butter and a squeeze of fresh lemon (to act as the acid)

>Dried apples, chopped and reconstituted a little in warm apple juice, added.

>Also, forgot to mention the vanilla extract I added to

>Forgot to mention the little bit of apple juice added to to make it more batter-like.

>Sprinkled with sugar. Otherwise, the top won't brown much while baking.

>Anyway, drizzled with melted butter and sprinkled with sugar again. Well, not really drizzled. I used butter flavoured spray because fuck trying to get real melted butter evenly distributed.

>Sliced and ready to serve.

>Was good!
>Only problem, I didn't add enough apple. Needs twice as much, at least. I know for next time.

Entry The Ninth by Geodude

>Fuck it, I enter the Potato Gratin that I made yesterday.

>Call me Geodude

Entry The Tenth by s3krit

>No timestamp because this wasn't premeditated

>It was our last night in the woods after a week camping in the Canadian Rockies and we wanted a nice hearty meal for the next morning's hike back to the highway. We had garlic instant mashed potatoes with spiced rice on top (cumin, salt, black whole pepper, cayenne) with grilled pepperoni sticks.

Entry The Eleventh by Birdskull

>Here is my Twice Baked Potatoes.

>Garlic
>Rosemary (fresh from the garden)
>Thyme
>Green Onions
>Cheddar
>Butter
>Salt and Pepper

>I wish I had put some bacon on them and baked them a little longer the second time. Overall, they weren't bad as long as you like rosemary and garlic.

>Check my trips.

>First, I bake the potatoes low ans slow. I also use this time to roast up some of that garlic with olive oil. Then, I scoop out the skins. Mash up the scooped bits, and add the rosemary, thyme, cheese, salt, pepper, butter, and the garlic. I add about 4 cloves of roasted garlic per potato because I love that stuff. I then ran the mash through a blender with a small bit of milk to get it creamy smooth. I tried to pipe that stuff out like icing into the skins on top of a layer of cheese, but I suck at piping. Throw some more cheese on top and back into the oven with the loaded skins. Cook until done. Chop up them green onions and sprinkle on top. Like I said, I wish I had bacon to add as bacon bits as well, but I didn't feel like going to the store.

Entry The Twelfth by Franz Liszt

>Wow, did not think I was gonna make it in time for this month's contest. Apartment hunting is a pain, folks. Anyway!

>I made bok choy potato salad, served with duck breast.

>Salad consists of red potatoes (quartered, seasoned with rosemary/thyme/tarragon/salt), boy choy, oyster mushrooms, shallots, pancetta, and a light balsamic.

>Duck seasoned with rosemary, thyme, salt and fennel seed blend, with a sauce consisting of blueberries, cognac and a touch of cider. Had a blast with this one.

That's all the entries for this month, so vote away!

Oh fugg, I forgot to enter :(

Ya big dingus.

Oh shit...

C'mon and vote, you fucks.

We vote all 12 correct? And each theme has a score of 5?

Vote on all entries.
Each category (Presentation, Originality, Appeal, Challenge goals) has a maximum of 5 points, for 20 points max for each entry.
Now go in peace and sin no more.

How am I supposed to give you a crappy score if you don't enter the contest?!?!?

As I ain't got shit else going on today cuz I've had no work come in all week, I've split my time today between making a rug for my bathroom and making a vertical for my entry.
Since, as stated previously, I've got sweet FA going on at the moment, if any other entrants would like it, I'll put a vert together for you using whatever cook-along pics you posted in the previous thread. Just lemme know.
Pic related: it's my vert.

Pic also related: it's the rug I started this morning, laying on my bathroom floor.
Also, no idea why my name isn't showing up. Will it remain Anonymous this time, too? Let's see!

Loco Taco
P: 3
O: 4
A: 2
G: 5
Weird.

Toys
P: 5
A: 5
Very nice presentation.

Anonymous
O: 2
A: 4
G: 4
Boring but I'd eat it.

Mamushka Doll
P: 2
Overly pretentious. I knocked off a point from G because it feels like you just said "Oh let's stick a potato in here somewhere."

Yet Another Anonymous
Ick.

Webmfag
P: 1
O: 5
A: 1
G: 0
If you had actually made your own vodka starting from potatoes, I would have given you G5. This however is no longer potatoes. Also, most vodka nowadays is made from grain; Wyborowa is one of the few that still uses potatoes.

Skooma
This is something that I might actually try to make for Thanksgiving.

Shake-kun
P: 4
A: 3
Weird but interesting.

Geodude
O: 3
Pretty presentation of a very standard dish.

s3krit
Ick.

Birdskull
Nice.

Franz Liszt
Nice.

Impressive
most impressive.
Thanks for ze votes, comrade.

Pozhal'sta, tovarishch bukhgalter.

Loco
C: 5
Nice effort and an original take. I believe there could be a better plate/bowl for this, however.

Toys
It is a good effort, but the final plating has let you down. I checked other examples of this serving as a slice.

Third (user)
C: 2
Nice to see a sausage stew. But I feel like the potatoes were hardly the star of the show here.

Mamushka
Beautiful integration of potato throughout. My one bug here is the carrot, which for its size doesn't complement the dish.

Fifth (user 2)
C: 4
I like the general colour but I'd like it to be a little more vibrant. The carrot slicing is my favourite of this but the main dampener on the score is that store bought sauce (rather than attempting your own).

Webmfag
C: 0
Intentions good here, but I looked up ctahoapt vodka and it is not made using potatoes. Essentially this is just a standard vodka flavoured yourself.

Skooma
Good stuff. Nice to see you combining some flavours together of more obscure nature. And using the bacon fat in your dish.

Shake-kun
I can't fault this much from a voting perspective. The potato with these sweet flavours does put me off a little though.

Geodude
Good food. However, would've liked to of seen something more.

s3krit
P: 1
O: 1
C: 2
At least there's potato, even if it's an abomination.

Birdskull
I'd like the cheese/potato crisped up a bit more on top.

Franz Liszt
I'm a bit saddened but it may be my personal tastes. The duck is too pink for me, the sauce is unique but weird, and the potatoes could have a little more finesse.

Thanks for the votes!

mashed potatoes/10

mashed potatoes/10

mashed potatoes/10

soup/10

samosa filling/10

:/

hash/10

mashed potatoes/10

penmanship/10

mashed potatoes/10

baked potato/10

flash/10

The vodka is actually a potato vodka in a fancy bottle with my own label. Making OC is a transferrable skill, as it turns out.

Fuck, deleted my votes for the 3rd time by accident.

Well here is my suggestion for the next challenge at least: Inside out/ upside down

Thanko for suggesto, anono!

Saddest of all is that I made a potato dish that would've been competitive and ate it all week before remembering.

Keep the votes a' comin' my folks!
Two so far, which isn't bad for the first day.
I love you bastards.
Long time.

Loco
Looks good

Toys
I'd eat it.

Anonymous #1
G: 3
It looks a bit like scat.

Mamushka
Fancy.

Anonymous #2

Webmfag
G: 1
Great Idea, but poorly executed. You need your own still.

Skooma
Not sure on the flavor combo there.

Shake-kun
Interesting.

Geodude

s3krit
Instant? I guess it is technically potatoes.

Birdskull
>Disclaimer: This is me.
Wish I had bacon bits and cooked it just a bit longer the second time.

Franz

I'm coming out of retirement. See you knuckleheads next round.

Thanks for the votes!

C: 3
The potato sadly takes a bit of a backstage in this

P:2
O:3
A:5
C:5
Never heard of kugelis before, don't know why you didn't present better though

P:4
O:4
A:2
Really fun entry

P:5
O:5
Flawless entry, damn

O:2
A:3
C:2
There was potato in there I guess, sounds tasty though

C:4
kinda feels unfair to rate it this high

I feel like the apple and bacon are the real protagonists here, sounds tasty

Great entry, looks and sounds delicious

O:1
A:4
it's potato gratin alright

P:1
it's an entry, can imagine that it was a nice meal in the context though

P:3
Looks good, is potato

C:4
Looks amazing.

challenge suggestion: hard shell, soft core

We are all vomiting in terror, I assure you. It's definitely not food poisoning from months-old chicken I found in the freezer and decided to serve up anyway.

Loco

Pretty original, but the plating is a bit too simple. Also not sure about the taste.

Toys

Sounds really tasty, but try and improve the plating next time.

user (the First)
G: 2

Mamushka Doll

Very interesting, the carrot and purple potatoes pull of 1 point on the presentation for me

user (the Second)

Webmfag
G: 1

Very original idea with a nice presentation but feels just bit lazy and not that on point for the challenge

Skooma

Shake-kun

Nice af, I would be interested in a recipe with measurements.

Geodude

s3krit

I guess it is a nice meal in that setting, but the mix potato and rice sounds just weird to me

Birdskull

Franz Liszt
G: 3

Thanks for the votes and suggestion!
Thanks for the votes!

Glad to have you back, whoever you are...

Nobody special, just the 2016 champ.

how embarassing

But did you distill the potato vodka yourself? Or just buy it off the shelf?

I personally cannot abide vodka. Have you never wondered why I drink only distilled water, or rain water, and only pure grain alcohol?

What, am I supposed to remember the trip of everyone and their mother?
Eat a fukken sausage.

That's a mighty fine apron.

geez rude.
ate way too much curry instead

Very cool. With some more namefags around it might actually be worth entering next month.

I'm not rude...
But I could sure go for a curry, damn.
Still as says, some old blood might help things along and keep it interesting and foxy.

yeah I'm also joining up for the next challenge I think

Here too. I was going to drop out but maybe I'll stick around to see where things go.

I actually had a go at making potato wine for the challenge, but it wasn't successful - the recipe didn't call for yeast, which I thought was weird, but I gave it a try. The result was no alcohol, a bad smell and, eventually, mould.

The more the harrier!

We need more challenge suggestions guys!
Am really looking forward to partake in the next one

Heritage/Regional food

that meme shit wont work
asians insta-lose

Nah man, could work very well.
Even the chinese can do good shit, provided they have some child labour to abuse.
>racism?
>I hardly know her!
>:^)

You need to check your namefag. It's one thing to want to be identified, it's another thing to act like some redditfag.

Also, nigger foods insta lose too.

Fictional food. Recreate a dish from games, video media, or literature.

Shaddup
Thanks for the suggestion!

When do these theads start? On the first?

Yep!
Pop in an entry next month and we'll see how you do!
Good luck!

G:5

P:1
Do want. Missing some balance though.

P:0
O:1
G:2
Is this a real entry?

So pretentious though.

Kek'd at the pac-man bit.

G:3
Don't know enough about vodka to give 5 for challenge goals

A:0
It's a pool grease.

P:5
I want to eat it.

Looks boxed.

A:0
G:2
What the fuck? I don't even...

P:3

Thanks for dem dere votes!
>I swear, if captcha makes me spell "calle" one more time... I'll continue to whinge about it like a little baby

I post as my own bad self for two reasons
1: to thank people for their entries/suggestions, showing it's not a dank danke from some random tit
2: to show that I didn't vanish like a puff of steam from a delicious baked potato
3: there is no reason three that I can think of in a vodka addled haze, you cunt

My tits are nowhere near that nice...
On Topic: The potato chip was invented in 1853 and has been America's number one snack food for more than 50 years. In two hours, a factory can make 7,000 pounds of potato chips. Throughout the years, potato chips have been packaged in cans, paper bags, cellophane, plastic, aluminum foil and cardboard tubes. The first potato chip queen was crowned in 1946, and she had a court of five members.
>Toothpick said they'd do potato chips but fancy, motherfucker never delivered

You're a cunt.

>My tits are nowhere near that nice...
Pics so we can decide.

I hope it's potato vodka

No denials here, you brick-thick berk.
Also, I will literally love you medium time.
>I will fugg you during a seance
>(clown nose honking noises x2)

i wish Veeky Forums had ID's

You need to lrn2democracy, my friend.

Does that mean samefagging is akin to voter fraud?

WE NEED IDS ASAP!

Voter ID is racist.

Reported you to the FBI, potato nazi.

Telling someone you reported them is against the rules.
Once more, the Left displays their own reluctance for the rule of law. Damn anarchists.

All you do is make more and more oppressive rules, facist.

You're literally potato Hitler at this point.

So oppressed that we limit federal government, get rid of 2 unnecessary policies for 1 passed, and advocate for free market principals.

Here, have some freedom fries. No need for salt, we can use your tears.

(((free market principals)))

Yes. It's requires entrepreneurial spirit working hard to turn a profit. Something you probably know nothing about.

Pic related, a man with a massive (((Entrepreneurial spirit))) i.e. usurious loan.

>being a conservative
>using a copyrighted meme

I know you are, but what am I?

Chill out you faggots, and vote.
If you've already voted, chat aboot po-tay-toes.

As our fountain of top tater trivia, have you got a good recipe for potato wine? The weather's too shit here to grow many vegetables.

EZPZ rosemary potatoes:

>cut your potatoes in about finger thick slices
>distribute on parchment paper evenly
>drizzle with olive oil then with salt and fresh rosemary
>put in oven at 200 degrees Celsius for about 20 minutes (I eyeball that shit)

Oresto

Sometime I parboil the potatoes first and then bash 'em up in the pot with the oil and salt and rosemary from the fucking rosemary bush that didn't die after having a fuck-mothering truck drive over it.
Good recipepepe, mein negro.

I knew a chef at a high end restaurant in CT who was renowned for their mashed potatoes among other things. His secret was adding mayonnaise. Never tried them but it makes me gag to this day.

Doesn't make sense to me. The mayonnaise would just turn into oil due to the heat. Might as well add butter instead because flavor.

Try burying the potatoes in salt and rosemary and baking sometime.

that kawell faggot just did a thread. i think your all fucked next round rofl. sticking around for the wreckage.

boards.Veeky Forums.org/ck/thread/9355388#bottom

DID YOU KNOW
that potatoes are technically marsupials?
>the more you are told by random jagoffs

EZPZ Tortilla Espanola:

For one you'll need:
>1 mid-sized potato
>1 onion
>1-2 garlic cloves
>1 egg
>olive oil

>peel your potato and dice it into small cubes
>finely dice your onion
>chop your garlic

>add your potato to your pan, don't skimp on the oil
>when the cubes start to soften add the onion and garlic
>while that stuff is frying, scramble your egg and add salt and pepper (use a big container, I like to use a measuring cup)
>when the veg looks done, add the mixture to your container and mix it up
>add some more oil to your pan and then reintroduce your mixture
>sear from both sides

presto

The ID system is broken anyway. I've routinely gotten multiple IDs in a single thread. Which is funny because the system manages to keep track of my "_(You)"s through literally weeks of reboots and router resets (fucking Android, I hate you).

Thanks for the recipe!

ID's are gay. Flags would be cool though

When is voting gonna close?

Just dropping in to choose the McChicken as the next theme. Many chicken dishes call for precooked chicken, and it would be fun to see what we can do with our memes. Any part of the McChicken is usable and encouraged.

11:59pm on the 31st, my fellow potato enthusiast!

perfect duck!

potato skins are great, could eat that shit on its own

sounds very filling

>not Gratindude

very interesting recipe, I've never seen potato in a dessert before

this reminds me a little of japanese potato salad, im gonna have to start using apples with my potatos

A E S T H E T I C

looks healthy af

lovely dish!
>mashed with triple creme brie
gave me a hardon

thats a great looking bangers and mash

looks like a tasty casserole

sounds like a very savoury combo, how was it?