Being introduced to someone

>being introduced to someone
>"i majored in liberal arts"
what do in this situation? are you allowed to be condescending to these subhuman brainlets?

No one says that in reality because liberal arts is not a major

replace with any useless, literally free degree. such as:
literature
history
philosophy
art
music
[spoiler] women's studies [/spoiler]
etc.

I have a 2 year liberal arts degree.

OP I graduated with a four year degree in English, now I make a shit ton of money working at an engineering firm writing patents. I love how elitist you people get and when it comes down to it you have to hire someone to write for you because you can barely formulate sentences and get freaked out trying to write legal documents.

We are not enemies. You need us as much as we need you but your self worth is determined by putting others down so whatever.

>You need us as much as we need you
wrong, you are only relevant because of how fucking retarded out legal system is

Determining intellectual rights to inventions is retarded?

>I am special and you need me hurr durr
What you learned to do for work in 4 years can be done by ANYONE in a FREE notary course of two months.

yes, the system is fucked. there are companies that own patents on techniques and shit, which would give them legal rights over things that haven't been invented yet.

The fact you believe that is absurd. You could make the same argument about most careers in science
I am 100% certain you have no idea what patents are like.

Notary is just a single skill which takes on many forms.

Science and math can only be mastered by being a genius or hard work. I dare you to understand how to use Sobolev Spaces to solve PDEs.

>tfw double majoring in math and philosophy

>history
>philosophy
>art
>music
>literature
>useless

These are literally what separate us from the beasts you moron. The only thing useless is you.

>now I make a shit ton of money working at an engineering firm writing patents
>writing patents
It is evident that you don't understand where the eltism comes from, if you think "hur dur i maek da moneyz" doing literal non-work is a legitimate reprimand for the elitism OP is displaying.

He's referring to the courses, not subjects. But the subjects could be a lot better too, they're like proto/naive forms of their true potential.

Wrong wrong wrong
>Anime
Separates men from beast. The only true art form

>philosophy
Are you upset that I study math and physics in my free time and that my IQ is higher than yours, code-monkey?

You "study" that in your free time because there are no exams there to show you how little you actually understand about those subjects.

>exams
Veeky Forums is a graduate student board

HA!

All humanities should be banned from universitys - all they do is waste time take up slots that actual intelligent STEM students could be taking, they never provided actual understanding of anything to anyone. theyre completely useless

>"I think I am so much smarter and more important than everybody else"
You aren't

I too was 19 and sheltered once

This is why all the other boards call us autists.

fuck off autist

This

>the subjects could be a lot better too, they're like proto/naive forms of their true potential
In what way?

>tfw I hold a history and CS degree

literally every interviewer asks me

"why?"

Don't mention the history degree. That might hurt your image.

It's never negative just unneccessary at worst

Don't talk to me like that humanities brainlet, I'm a fucking engineer

The problem is that you believe anyone can write. This is exactly why most textbooks are shit. Don't kid yourself, it takes years to master language.

And the same argument CAN be used against most careers in science or do you think most science careers aren't glorified lab assistants?

Ed Witten majored in history and he's smarter than all of /sci's STEMtards combined.

I have an English degree and work as a copywriter for a charity. While I was at college I made use of the library and picked up a few things about business and economics, eventually I put it into practice by investing my money based on a universe of models are built.

Don't be an elitist prick, YOU ain't going make a significant contribution to the history of man. Stop thinking you're special because you studied biology or whatever it is you took

Yes user you will be replaced by software in the future when we create blockchain based legal enforcement

Your job is not "eternal" it's a coincidence of current human law

Academic areas that are associated with the term liberal arts include:

Arts (fine arts, music, performing arts, literature)
Mathematics
Natural science (biology, chemistry, physics, astronomy, earth science)
Philosophy
Religious studies
Social science (anthropology, economics, geography, history, jurisprudence, linguistics, political science, psychology, sociology)

>engineer
Enjoy losing your job to Pajeet.

uh, no, you're just a hopeless autist stuck in a binary world where 'my major vs everybody else' is all you're capable of seeing

Ehh, those degrees that you listed really aren't easy. Philosophy can be a very difficult program depending on the school. Music (performance) is probably the hardest undergraduate degree period since it involves practicing 50-80 hours a week and spending another 20 in rehearsals.
>Art
>History
>Literature
Are sort of "choose your own adventure" degrees. Any of these programs can be hard, depending on the student's focus. They're a lot like math in that the difficulty of the degree depends on the electives they choose to take.

SCUM completed gender studies, and anyone who continues to study it is a meme and should feel bad.

>mathematician
you just triggered all of Veeky Forums

No, they're all shit you fucking autist

>tfw being well rounded and having varied interests provokes confusion in many

WHY

No one is actually this socially inept and bitter right?
Not everyone gives a fuck about getting a PhD in a hard science.

You can learn fluid mechanics just as easily at home as you can read literature at home, so how is that a basis for what is and isn't useless?
The only real metrics that I can think of are earning potential, which arts degrees aren't inherently worse at, and how "cool" it is to other people, which physics/math fail horribly at.

because varied interest doesn't mean you waste studying and majoring in something useless for your job career

if you generalize the formulas for fluid mechanics you can win a million dollars
can't do that in the humanities

Are music degrees easy in america or what?
I really dont get the hate for art grads, some do nice stuff. Social sciencesfags that study PolSci, Sociology and stuff like memestudies are insufferable though, they think they are some kind of intelectual elite while having easy as fuck courses.

>realistic and levelheaded opinions make YOU autistic
Sure buddy, whatever makes you feel comfortable with your acutely myopic worldview.

This.

Music degrees in the US are very intense and difficult. The main reason other people think they're easy is because they never interact with music majors because music majors are always busy so they make assumptions based on preconceived notions. Music programs are also probably the most selective undergraduate programs in America, at some conservatories, the acceptance rates are less than 1% for certain concentrations (Peabody one year had over 2000 composition applicants and selected 12).

As for art programs, in some state universities they have programs like digital _____ and animation which can be giant jokes. Film programs, illustration programs and fine art programs like painting, textile and ceramics are usually intense.

I didn't know it was possible to be condescending to plant life.

Humanities are literally worthless and they do no thing to help understanding of the world, they only confuse ppl

Tuition for humanity majors should be more so STEM doesn't have to pay as much. I could literally do any humanity major on top of my physics degree and still get all A's on my calculus who the fuck needs "philosophy" anyway?

>who the fuck needs "philosophy" anyway?

That's a philosophical question.

Humans are philosophers before they're anything else. It's why children are so good at asking "why?" all the time.

As easy as "Cool, what do you want to do with that?"

>people that are too dumb/ugly to get rich/status
study liberal arts and easy shit

>people that have the potential to get some riches/status
study STEM etc

>people who already have wealth/aesthetics
study liberals arts (or really, anything they enjoy), especially considering stuff like philosophy is basically the closest thing to 'holistic science' (to use a retarded phrase).

Beyond brainlet

Humanities are the only thing standing between you and being harvested for your organs. Where do you think the complex social, legal, and political structures that you use every day come from? What do you think underpins all of Science. Bitch, it's philosophy.

>and still get all A's on my calculus
No shit. Calculus is easy. Where you would fail would be in your English courses because you can't string thoughts together coherently or offer any introspection. Why else would you say something as unbelievably ignorant as "who the fuck needs "philosophy" anyway?"

>social, legal, and political structures
>complex

fucking lmao i could understand enough about those things to get bachelor's degrees in them by spending a couple afternoons just reading a book

Then why are you taking calculus courses? That shit is far simpler than any social, legal, or political structure.

What a condescending ass you are, with no grounds for it.

>philosophy
>useless
I want a "the virgin mathematician" and "the chad philosopher" NOW

>tfw my roommate is a communications major
>He literally just watches netflix 24/7
I wish I was memeing but that's seriously all he does, I've never seen him so much as fart in the direction of a book.
I hope McDonalds treats him well.

I know a communications major
she's "gifted"

I don't even know what he theoretically wants to do with it. He claims he wanted to direct television shows but that would involve human contact and he's a full blown hikikko so I don't know how he plans to do that.

Music, when focusing in the area of composition, is legitimately difficult. Advanced music theory classes use cal 3 and complex analysis.

>Advanced music theory classes use cal 3 and complex analysis.
legitimately curious about this

>calc 3
>hard
>complex analysis
>>>>>>>>hard

I could spot all of OP's posts just by following the trail of acute autism in this thread. Holy fuck, you are literally retarded.

>I wreit teh patents 4 u elitsts orangutangos

anyone can do your job Mongo

>learning notary txt == engineering degree

do you read what you type?

>quick, gotta stretch the meaning as much as possible! Yes biologists and mathematicians are just secret liberal arts students!!!!1!!

It's nothing more than a single skill you practise. Nothing more. You will be replaced by machines soon while mathematicians thrive with steady jobs.

>Inb4 mathematicians will be replaced.
No because it's not a single skill. If you think that you are retarded. Thats why the argument cannot be applied to just any study/course, but it can particularly to yours.

Where do business students fit into all of this?

This reminds me of a story
>first week of uni
>be drunk in a bar with a group of classmates because I'm trying to make friends
>"oh, yeah, that girl is getting her second degree, she has one already"
>I'm intrigued so I go talk to her
>"hey, is it true you already have a degree?"
>"yes, I have a degree in liberal arts"
>"yeah, but, I meant a real degree"
>hfw

Chad wouldn't care about philosophy

STEM students are retards

>implying

>making friends
>within the first week of uni
>getting drunk
Found the normie

>friends
>drunk in a bar
>making fun of someone for having a degree and all you have to show for yourself are your HS grades.
Enough.

>being so assblasted about someone having a social life you're willing to pretend liberal arts is a real degree

You say "oh, okay" and then you proceed on with your respectful conversation like a rational human being.

>LOL UR DEGREE SUCKS MINE IS BETTER XDDD

Is this place full of american undergrads? Holy fucking shit, how insecure are you guys? I'm a ME and couldn't give less of a fuck about other people's degrees

>tfw double majoring in pure math and womens studies

Don't anime directors/writers/designers/keyframers/animators usually study in majors broadly defined as art? Also composers certainly have some kind of music education.

>Religious studies
you already mentioned philosophy

no, what you're supposed to do is not be such a fucking hate filled autist and disscus like a normal human being their field of interest, and generate mutually academic conversation. anyone with any bit of respect for academia should be able to do this. shame on you. get out of your elitist bubble phase and grow up, you immature child. I study pure mathematics by the way, and I never look down on anybody for studying anything which you would classify "liberal arts". rather I try to help them to be the best they can be in their studyings by asking questions, from the naive perspective.

So then why the fuck does it need to be taught in colleges?

>english degree
>says it takes years to master writing
>starts a run on sentence with "and"

t. engineer

Because if teaches you how to think, which is something you clearly hasn't learned yet.

The only thing separating us from the beasts is the Mediterranean.

I find it funny how so many people shit on liberal arts degrees because they have more free time than STEM majors. Both do require a certain amount of originality, but in the end, both work using things that have been created or discovered by greater people anyways, and your average student will not create a breakthrough, and just barely understand what they're doing - enough to get by.

And then, there's the people that laugh at them because they will be "working in Starbucks." However, this is only the case because the pay floor is indeed different for liberal arts and STEM, but I've seen plenty of brilliant graduates of the former get extremely good and well payed jobs. This is because a degree is irrelevant to most jobs anyways, while the quality and skills of the person working is more important. So in the end, it is the insecurity of the STEM majors that reeks when saying such a statement, where they're automatically assuming they don't excel enough to be able to work on the top paying / highest skill required jobs, and will for the most part be stuck getting a pay floor job attached to their degree.