A team of Japanese scientists has developed a way to make and sell a type of ice cream that does not melt...

A team of Japanese scientists has developed a way to make and sell a type of ice cream that does not melt, capitalizing on a discovery made accidentally by a chef. Most ice cream starts melting just moments after it is scooped from a container and placed into a bowl or on a cone. Because of this, people have taken to eating it quickly. But now that may change, as a team in Japan has found a way to maintain the shape of ice cream no matter how slowly it is eaten.

The ice cream reportedly came about by mistake after a chef in Japan was asked to find a way to use strawberries grown in areas impacted by the earthquake and tsunami back in 2011—they wouldn't grow in a normal shape, so customers wouldn't buy them. The chef tried to use the strawberries in other ways, and at one point, complained that they caused cream to solidify. Hearing of the complaint, a team at Kanazawa University took a closer look and discovered that a compound called polyphenol in the strawberries was responsible for solidifying the cream. The extract, they found, makes it difficult for water and oil to separate, which is what occurs in regular ice cream. They tried mixing it with ice cream and found it would prevent the ice cream from melting.

Because the extract is completely natural, it did not require testing by health inspectors—instead, it was made available to local shop owners who gladly began selling the ice cream in prepressed shapes on sticks or forms to customers who were more than happy to try it.

youtube.com/watch?v=GFE91TTJfN8

youtube.com/watch?v=sA-lc6ZnWLo

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SozZHZAWS64
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

So... has anyone here tried this ice cream?
How is it?

Sounds fantastic

absolutely horrendous. it's just fucking foamy soapy consistency the whole texture is still lost as it melts. business as usual just eat icecream during winter

it's interesting and maybe a step towards an actual new better food

that artificial meat they grow in labs, they are supposed to change the world some day

That story is bullshit but I believe it

>Godzilla ice cream
Sounds cool, but I like my genome.

>Because the extract is completely natural, it did not require testing by health inspectors

Makes sense, I suppose this never-melt ice cream now also comes in nightshade flavor?

Ice cream manufacturers have been doing stuff like this for ages :

youtube.com/watch?v=SozZHZAWS64

Being able to use natural ingredients to do it is nice for marketing though.

All ice cream is foamy now unless you make it at home. The overrun in modern ice cream is beyond measure.

Oddly enough, I made some black nighshade ice cream last fall. It was fucking godly delicious. I didn't grow any black nightshade this year, but I have tons of other berries ready to go.

There is this great natural extract you can make from apple seeds or almonds that would add a nice bitter flavor to add to that too. ;)

Can it be counted as natural when it was being Fukushima'ed?

what if it isnt the strawberry polyphenol but radiation instead?

fucking lying bamboo niggers, they didn't discover a goddamn thing

That's no longer ice cream. That's chalk.

[spoiler]Tasty, tasty, chalk[/spoiler]

is that why my bryers was foamy. Shit I remember that being actually dense and now it's like I got some shit walmart brand

at least I learned how to make icecream at home

>just eat icecream during winter
kys

A couple brands are still okay. Haagen-Dazs and Talenti are decent enough, but anything else has thickeners and too much air in it making it feel like a solidified piece of what happens when a kid blows bubbles in their glass of milk.

Don't do it. It'll produce mustard gas.

Just buy local brands for a couple bucks more

This just in hydrocolloids are not natural