Why is a new bag of chips always half empty? Why all this betrayal?

Why is a new bag of chips always half empty? Why all this betrayal?

the air in the bag protects the chips

That's a dirty fucking lie and they know it. They just get to charge more for less product. Same with cereal.

Only slightly related but
>be me, worker at a little corner shop owned by an old man
>my asshole friends come to hang out sometimes and talk
>they periodically open bags of chips and eat out of them without buying
>have to close them all with a stapler so boss doesn't see and complain

I had a dream last night that I opened a bag of beef jerky in the store and ate some. My subconscious is very boring.

Why do people always say shit like this irl

>huurr half the pill bottle is cotton
>Bag full of air

It clearly says on the label the number of pills in the bottle and the weight of the chips in the bag

It's not like you're being lied to. They blatantly tell you how much you're getting

Did you ever weight your chips? They lie about that too.

i tend to agree with you except for packages with an indentation at the bottom
i find that deliberately misleading and won't buy those products

Because it's dirty and deceptive.
It's not a flat out lie, but it's definitely not a truth.

Just like all marketing and advertising. They manipulate you into buying the big bag when there's only enough chips for the small bags size. Sure you "know" but that doesn't make it right.

are you literally retarded?
the weight is printed on the bag
the price tag says the amount of money for the bag with a certain amount of weight
does the bag not weigh as much as it says on it?

Defending the practice is horrible, it means you either take part in deceptive behavior commonly or approve of it.

At most you should accept it as an evil of modern society, unless you work for Chips n Co or one of their friendly companies.

holy shit just checked and it's true

you're just mad you keep forgetting and end up still a bit hungry, don't you?

That's why I buy pringles, or any of their knock-offs. That is, if I buy chips at all.

I just don't like it. Most other things you can judge fairly reasonably the contents and the amount. Also I'm not the user who thought that 200gm didn't mean 200gm

Eating chips because you're hungry is a pretty good way to get fat though.

>200gm

?

Grams you fucking cock sucking idiot faggot

Gram is just g.

There used to be a potato chip guy that went door to door and refilled big canisters of potato chips not unlike milkmen back in the day like around the depression and the 50s. My great grandparents who lived in a farmhouse in rural East Tennessee had that whole setup and the can is still there. But because of the packaging, a lot of the chips were broken into dust in the bottom half. To be able to send them out to mass market grocery stores, they put them in foil-lined bags so that the grease wouldn't soak through and also added air so that they could be stacked into cardboard cartons and not be crushed. Some companies still do this, like Grippos when I lived in Cincinnati. At the end of the day, as long as the shippers and stockers aren't shit, the chips usually come nice and unbroken.

I fucking love potato chips. My only vice food.

>gm
>grams

just another american attempting to act intelectual

When originally filled, the bags are full. The chips settle as the bag moves around.

Pringles>>>Potato Chips to be desu.

>intelectual

Congrats, I don't even know who's baiting who anymore.

The snackmosphere is a brilliant food packaging invention. It cushions delicate food from breakage during shipping. It also isn't air. It's nitrogen gas, which prevents oxidation of fats that can cause rancidity or oils or staleness of starches in the product. It's called nitrogen flushing.

>It clearly says on the label the number of pills in the bottle and the weight of the chips in the bag
>It's not like you're being lied to. They blatantly tell you how much you're getting

Wrong, they *are* lying. They have steadily reduced the net product weight while keeping bags the same size as they were a decade or two ago. This fools the consumer into thinking that they're still buying the same amount of product, when in reality, you are now paying for a lot of air with a few chips. At most, there is a tiny change in the small print on the bottom of the bag that now says "7oz" instead of the former "9oz", which in turn got reduced from "15oz" years ago.

Product shrinkage is well known. Ice cream used to be sold by the half-gallon, then the manufacturers started putting less and less in. A1 Steak Sauce got diluted; it used to be thick and gloppy and stuck to the steak, now it is just a sort of brown water that drips off.

You are being lied to, and you're so fucking hellbent on maintaining your illusion that you're shitting up threads where intelligent people try to discuss the matter like adults.

More room for nitrogen.

If you poke a hole and breathe it in you'll get a mild high.

That's cool, but is it really necessary to put that much nitrogen in it?

I-Is that true?

Why aren't sweet potato chips more popular?

Trust me, if they could get rid of the air they would.

The air in the chip bags pretty much double the transporation cost of chips.

>amerifat larps as a european on a Mongolian cooking enthusiast board
>can’t even fucking get metric abbreviations right
Umm try again sweaty

It's people who can't shut their fucking traps for five seconds and have to make the most generic "comedic" observations imaginable.

>air
>protect

yeah just like the air protects your from getting punched. retarded theory.

You are literally fucking retarded about physics.

airbags in vehicles are stupid too, yeah?

yes

(You)

it's nitrogen
it protects the chips from getting crushed and keeps them fresh

Bitch if you hate it so much, just buy pringles!

Because they reduce the content without reducing the packacking over time.
Shrinkflation.

is this a description for life?

Yes! Yes! Keep buying this lie so we can maximize our profits!

I had a nightmares though of my computer not have a power supply with not enough wattage and it fried my computer

Beef jerky is expensive as shit, I would love to enjoy some at least in a dream.

The presentation is misleading as shit

Go back to cripplechan commie.

Probably. Food manufacturers spend a lot of time and money figuring out the ideal balance of costs of packaging, packaging materials, shipping containers, and product quality. It all affects their bottom line. There's no conspiracy other than that. Regulatory agencies have mandated that manufacturers print product weights on the packaging so the consumers cannot be tricked by packaging sizes, too. Read the labels and you can't be fooled in any case. That's the price of fresh, not-broken chips.

Cadburry Eggs were a fucking conspiracy if ever I saw one. Those greedy jews made them smaller and acted like nobody would notice.

Gotta read the labels. Yeah, that's a little underhanded, but technically it's not false advertisement if the product has the same weight or volume as what was printed on the label.

It's a puff of gas that keeps the chips from going stale during shipping. It prevents oxygenation

You are absolutely right, it is misleading and deceptive.

It's still peoples fault for being fucking dumb and not reading the fucking label which is required by law to show what and how much is in the package. The labeling can be tiny, but it must be legible to the naked eye.

Read nigga, read. I check weight all the time to determine how much i'm getting and compare prices

It's not about "false advertising". It's about "paying the same price that the old product cost but getting less than the old product contained".

CAVEAT EMPTOR

EVERYONE LOVES CAPITALISM TILL IT'S TIME FOR CAPITALISM TO FUCK THEM IN THE ASS

THIS IS WHY WE SHOULDN'T HAVE BAILED OUT THE BANKS. COLLAPSE AND REGROWTH IS THE NATURAL CYCLE.

In that case, don't buy it or seek out a competitor product.

It sucks but the only reason they get away with it is people are lazy and will keep buying it out of ignorance or habit.

Well, they have the right to sell their products in whatever quantity they want to. The consumer has the right to be told exactly what that quantity is before buying it. That seems fair to me.

Protip: most grocery stores have a price per gram/ounce line under the product price on the shelf's price tag to make it easier for shoppers to compare products.

>It's still peoples fault for being fucking dumb and not reading the fucking label

Right. But how about when mega corporations spend millions lobbying our whore congress to not require labeling of GMO's or rBGH growth hormones in dairy? Then there is no option for citizens to see what the product contains. So much for freedom of choice. How someone that isn't strictly a corporate sycophant could advocate for restriction of information to the consumer boggles my mind.

What part of SOLD BY WEIGHT, NOT VOLUME do you not fucking understand?
GET A KITCHEN SCALE. WEIGH THE CHIPS. THEY'RE NOT JEWING YOU.

Except they taste worse than any other chip

ever noticed why bags of chips packed to the top tend to be made out of harder, more rigid materials

theres a word for this, its called slackfill. its literally to protect the chips, unless youd rather have chip dust. also, its nitrogen, that keeps it fresher longer

It really is necessary to prevent breakage. You can test it yourself without too much effort. Also, chips are bought mostly by stupid people who don't learn. They don't think to buy chips, they feel to.

Pringles tubes have a gap for a full stack too! Like a while inch of lies (like when you press on the pelvic bone for a dick Pic, she ain't getting that extra)

It had better be dry nitrogen or argon.
Air would allow the chips to quickly oxidize and the fats would go rancid. And the humidity would stale them.
Chips, cereal, and other non-uniform food always has an unpredictable bulk density, so the container is always oversized. A puffed up bag is a good thing, its a cushion and proof its airtight. If I stuck a pin in your bag and deflated it, is that the one you would choose?

It's appropriate you posted a cat. They run from large moving objects even if they're a balloon with very low density and mass. Are you no wiser than a cat?