Having a Twitter is becoming a necessity in the academic world

>having a Twitter is becoming a necessity in the academic world

What part of academia? I can only think of one active Twitter user in my math department.

No it's not.

100% of biofags i know use it, seems very popular with them

I deleted all my social media. Did I fuck up? They're a waste of time imo. A bunch of people putting up a mask and constructing a perfect virtual life and identity which doesn't match them in reality.

Out of the hundreds of people you are friends with, how many do you care about? It's like the rest are props to not seem friendless

People using it is different from it being necessary.

yeah pretty much, I only have it to communicate with lab partners or for group projects. Social media is for tools

where does this "you need facebook to communicate with lab partners" meme come from? half of my labs i dont even talk to my partners outside of class and the other half of the time where i need to, i just get their phone number.

I deleted all my social media too, and I didn't think it was a big deal until some employers from different companies came to talk to us at my uni. I was talking with some employers and as soon as they found out I had no social media, they just turned their attention from me to people who said they did have some form of social media.

Explain?

I would wager it's more like you were probably lugging around a giant thinkpad with GNU/linux stickers and smelled like string cheese and the first thing you did after shaking these recruiters hands was mention how you avoid having social media in protest of facebook and twitter's privacy policies in a really aspie way.

You know you don't need to advertise you're not on facebook right? Just make a LinkedIn like everyone else and if someone asks for your facebook (they won't, because any time someone says their employer wanted to see their facebook is a LARP meant to annoy /g/entoomen), just say you had one but deactivated it because it took up all your free time.

Twitter actually makes a great newsfeed, specialized in whatever way you want. And you'll usually see it first on Twitter before it even hits the breaking news sites. There's no rule that you ever have to post anything or get 'followers.' You can get into some good exchanges or meet people just by commenting on news/science/technology tweets. Twitter is nowhere near as phony and useless as most 'social media' services. It's also simple to block nutcases and trolls if you don't want their silly crap in your feed. It's the only so-called 'social media' service that's good for anything useful.

yes it fucking is. You don't know this because you aren't on twitter following people in your field
it's absolutely necessary in some fields of chemistry. There are certain "XXXXXXX papers twitter". Where XXXXXX is some field of chemistry.

no it's not

>XXXXXXX
>XXXXXX
You've defined what XXXXXX but not XXXXXXX. What's the XXXXXXX that you're referring to?

Can I get the researchgate pill?

That user is correct. I don't know why you would even define XXXXXX, it is not used in your statement.

I'm doing my Applied Math PhD right now and no one has ever mentioned twitter.

You mean no one mentioned it to you. Your colleagues probably all hate you.

I'm in a biomedical physiology doctorate program and no one mentions twitter lol

Linkedin tho

I remember having to make one in my second year of undergrad to get like 1% of the grade. Weird experience desu.

>newsfeed
Why in the fuck would you trust twitter in providing you with info rather than going straight to the source? 140 characters limit is even less useful than Veeky Forums OPs in conveying information about articles.
>Twitter is nowhere near as phony and useless as most 'social media' services
Seriously, how much are they paying you?

>t. political """"""""""scientist""""""""""

It isn't. Most people have moved on from twitter anyway because they blame it for Trump's Presidency.

no, as long as you are using groupme, you will be fine, you don't need twitter or facebook to collaborate on projects

Same user who posted this, no it was like a pre job fair reception and I we were just talking. I didn't brag about having social media, they all brang it up and asked me if I had some form of social media to which I replied no. They looked really surprised and put off by this. I don't know maybe it's just me over thinking it but as soon as I mentioned that, they were just uninterested.

You sound like a a complete dumbfuck.

Twitter doesn't supply you with any of the newsfeeds. The major news sources do. They tweet new, breaking, or interesting news headlines and link an article in the tweet. This includes most major science and technology journals, research centers, and the scientists themselves. Or anything else you could possibly be interested in.

You seem seriously stupid, and I'm not joking.

are you confusing twitter with researchgate?

>The major news sources do
Get real. It's their shitty low tier interns doing the "social media" gig.
If I wanted actual news, I would visit the journals' websites themselves. Even better, I'll use one of the millions of highly customisable newsfeeds that don't have a stupid 140 character limit on my browser. Don't need twitter for that shit.

Nah, it isn't. Almost none of the intellectuals I actually care about have a social media presence. It's probably because they're too busy studying or because they don't want to have to interact with millions of idiots. Most of the intellectuals that are on social media are there to popularize something, whether it be science in the case of The Grass Tyson or social/atheist/political beliefs in the case of Dawkins.

Ass opposed to just entering the page each morning and just browsing? Don't justify your crap.