What was the worst book you had to read in high school, Veeky Forums?

What was the worst book you had to read in high school, Veeky Forums?

The sound and the fury. My teacher made us use a permanent marker to black out every single use of the word nigger because they were new copies for our year.

The sound and the fury. My teacher made us use a permanent marker to black out every single use of the word nigger because they were new copies for our year.

Oh shit. That must suck.

We had to block out "negro" in all our Spanish books because some Dominican retards complained.

Lol I'm joking that would bleed through the pages. But that book.

>>r/thathappened

The sound and the fury seems like an awful book to assign to a highschool class. It's one of those books where even the students that care more than likely just watch the movie and read sparknotes

My Antonia

Fucking awful

I wish I attended your school. I love Willa Cather.

The Kite Runner
Cheap and boring

some melodramatic book about a school shooting. no idea what it was even called now.

I did not enjoy Return of the Native at all.

Thomas Hardy managed to be more boring than Dickens and Hawthorne combined.

Flat out child abuse forcing kids to read that in the first place. My condolences.

Reading Romeo and Juliet at 14 is pretty bad. Plays aren't meant to be read in the first place.

My friend had an English class in which they beat one short story to death for 6 weeks nonstop. I don't have the name of the story, sorry.

Hey, I love Hawthorne's work. Some of his short stories made me tear up a bit

Certainly not Hardy's most exciting novel. It's been a long time since I've read it but as I recall the first 50 pages were virtually all dedicated to descriptions of the heath. Why would any teacher expect teens to enjoy that?

All of them. Each objectively mediocre and yet touted as god's gift to mankind; almost enough to put a person off basic literacy itself just to escape the suffering.

I just recall the Scarlet Letter being long and tedious.

Heath descriptions for days. Arguments in favor of fucking your cousin. Someone dies because you couldn't be bothered to answer the damn door. Petty small town bullshit I never cared about.

That's about all I can remember of it now.

The Old Man and the Sea, Hemingway. Overrated book.

This shit was up there

also that one about the gay kid who fell out of a tree
I think it was called A Separate Peace

the fuck? Antonia was the only good book we read in high-school. The loneliness of the planes and western life in general reflected a time and condition most teenagers I doubt think much about. It was such a breath of fresh-air, really beautiful writing, too.

A Separate Peace

Everything is Illuminated.

We had to read it after If This Is a Man. Even though they're both books on the Holocaust they're worlds apart, the former is fanfiction on the topic, the latter a scientific paper by comparison.

I genuinely believe EII has a greater chance of turning the reader into an goose-stepping, kaki-wearing, WW2-era weapon collecting anti-Semite compared to the Mein Kampf or anything written by Evola.
t. Joo

The Awakening
Thank god I never have to read another female author ever again.

>he had to suffer through 300 pages of kate chopin
I'm so sorry

The scarlet letter

It isn't that bad of a book desu, but as a 15 year old it bored the fuck out of me

The Scarlet Letter is definitely one of those books that people hate because they were forced to read it in school. It's a shame that teachers don't assign a collection of his short stories instead. His short stories are definitely some of the best in the English language, and easy to digest.

The Chosen by Chaim Potok
More Jewish than the talmund.

Night
Their Eyes Were Watching God
Kite Runner
Speak

We got to read some decent/great books though, can't complain overall

O Memorial Do Convento by Saramago
i loved a lot of the shit we had to read in highschool, specially Fernando Pessoa but holy shit was Memorial fucking boring. Even the teachers seemed to be aware of it because they kept telling us it wasn't the best Saramago book but after that i didn't bother reading anything by the guy

>tfw only person who didn't enjoy reading the great gatsby at all whatsoever

The 1920s were a boring decade desu.

but that prose is beautiful, user

I thought it was ok.

It is, his short stories are much better imo

i thought it was breddy gud
his novels are much better

To be honest, I enjoyed reading pretty much all of my school's books. The only one that might have blurred the line was pic related, but even then I thought it was an interesting read.

What book you suggest from him?

for me it's either The Sun Also Rises, A Farewell to Arms or For Whom the Bell Tolls

The only novel I read by him was tOMatS, so I'm not aware of how good his other ones are. I do have a collection off his short stories that I thoroughly enjoy though. Some of my favorites being:
Snows of Kilimanjaro
Indian camp
Big two hearted River
Hills Like White Elephants
Cat in the Rain
and there's a bunch more. If you are more interested in novels/books I've read that for whom the Bell tolls is a good one. Otherwise, I recommend looking through his short stories

The funny thing is, that long opening description of the heath is probably the best part of the book. I'll admit, it's not Hardy's best work
The Return of the Native actually shares a lot of elements with Hawthorne's The Blithedale Romance, especially the climax. Hawthorne's was much better though

Great Expectations

Charles Dickens is such a boring fucking faggot

to kill a mockingbird

what a trash book

Charles Dickens was literally the capeshit of his day

I don't know about books but we had to watch Shakespeare in Love which is possibly the gayest movie ever filmed.

Our English teacher was eccentric and nearing retirement, so we watched a lot of movies.

Old man and the sea, catcher in the rye, lord of the flies, to kill a mockingbird..lit starter kit

shitty book about a pussy farmer who doesnt value women

The Great Gatsby AKA Hipsterdom: The Book

they're not gay faggot

An Inspector Calls by J.B.Priestly.. honestly a terrible, hamfisted, preaching piece of shit.

When I was Puerto Rican...

I hated it in 10th grade, and I hate it still today.

>Plays aren't meant to be read in the first place.
You're fucking boring, you know.

I had to read speak, it was trash. Also the hatchet and some spirit bear book?

The Awakening, Kate Chopin. There were a few "classics" that I wasn't crazy about but this was just horrible. Poorly-written, pretentious, despicable characters that you were supposed to sympathize with or else you're an evil muhsojinist. Just X pages of the author beating herself off over tumblr-tier fantasy situations.
We read Anna Karenina later though, which made up for it.

I enjoyed A Separate Peace, it was a nice break from the DUDE SLAVERY LMAO books

how does it feel to have such a smooth brain?

The House on Mango Street. Esperanza was a whiny cunt.

How? She literally got raped in the end and the other females in the book went under similar scenarios.

Can't believe no one's mentioned Uncle Tom's Cabin yet. Though tbqh pretty instructive as to what a truly awful book is like -- when else would you read one cover to cover?