Self-help books are bad meme

>self-help books are bad meme
Where does this garbage come from? I have learned a lot of useful shit I use daily from self-help books. There is nothing else for brainlets like us that didn't grew up with heartfelt passion and work ethics.

you're a brainlet if you have to learn those things through self-help books

That's what I said, brainlet.

Who would have thought that you don't need advice if you don't need it? Truly works my almonds.

work isn't an "ethic", it's an economic unit.

>froposter
>shitpost
>rife with grammatical errors
>reads self help books
>seeks to be assured there is no shame in it,

the fact you feel the need to inquire about the stigma surround self help books should tell you there is an innate shame, like a stinkcloud around a turd, that sticks to self help books and people who read them. you know subconsciously you should be ashamed so I suppose it falls upon society to tell you exactly why.

the problem with self help books is by their very name they imply an autonomous self improvement that should be undertaken. but this is a flawed premise because if you need a self help book you know something is wrong with you, you're an asshole. so what happens is the same thing that happens when you ask an asshole to fix your car or your computer or your AC. he fucks it up. when an asshole tries to fix himself he will inevitably fuck it up.

the best thing he can do is give himself to a higher cause like a religious order or the army and hope they fix him

It's an established term, unlike any words you invented in your novels.

So the reason self-help books are bad is because you don't like them and they devastate your butthole by merely existing? Seems about right.

They're boring get-rich-quick schemes for middle aged soccer fathers. What's the point?

The point is that some of them have legit great advice.

Entirely truth, you being an intellect and a savant much like myself, don't need any of these books.

Clearly you were born humble, wise and meek.

The lord bless you because you are greater than everyone else.

What kinda advice do they offer? What are some good thing you've taken away from them?

I read them quite a bit because I was a mess growing up. The best thing I learned from them was simply that affirmations help focus my mind on less detrimental thoughts. I still read them and will be doing so, alongside the rest of my reading. Some of us had bad lives, what can I say? Better than taking advice from /r9k/.

Like what?

They gave me some tools for time management and problem solving. Dominic O'Brien's books on memorization really helped me out big time in my language studies.

The good ones are secondary psychology lessons, methods for dealing with life. For instance, a book I just read talks about how some people filter out positive experience and only see the negative, which is given the term Filtering. The best analyse cognitive biases and illogical thinking to focus the person on ways of thinking that are beneficial instead of self-defeating.

Filtering
Overgeneralization
Polarized Thinking
Catastrophizing
Mind Reading
Fortune Telling
Personalizing

Concepts like that that help you think more logically and in a more healthy way.

If self help books worked they would stop selling them

>The best analyse cognitive biases and illogical thinking to focus the person on ways of thinking that are beneficial instead of self-defeating
Yeah I could do with some of that. Suggestions?

i doubt it

poor bait

Just go to amazon and browse through the self-help section. My favorite is: Happiness for People Who Can't Stand Positive Thinking. It focuses mostly on a stoic approach to happiness, with some good cognitive biases thrown in to get the reader out of some messes. There are complex self-help books out there, even if the field is full of squishie feel-good junk advice. Look for what you would like to read.... And use amazon's "users who bought this book also bought."

Self-help books can and will be used as a form of escapism since reading is fucking easy and changing yourself is not. How you use information is up to you.

pretty much this fampai. self help books and the """"people"""" who read them are worthless

>I have learned a lot of useful shit I use daily from self-help books.

says the frogposter that spends his time on Veeky Forums

Isn't it interesting that whenever someone asks another to elaborate or provide examples, they stop responding?

so basically these """"books""""" helped you get up to normal speed and perform basic mental processes that children who aren't retarded can learn to do by themselves.

and now you're telling everyone proudly that you can filter trivial information from non trivial information or remember flashcards like it's something everyone else can't already do?

did you pay money for these self help books? do you want applause? you still seem deficient.

the stigma exists because self help books are almost entirely common sense. arguably, someone with good common sense and no experience could rewrite a self help book line for line. the idea that someone's life could be revolutionized by common sense is pretty repugnant, because it could denote how little common sense they had to start with.

at best self help books are okay

SELF HELP FAGS ON SUICIDE WATCH!!!!!!

>self help books are almost entirely common sense
I'd argue that many actually go *against* common sense.

well you'd be a crybaby faggot who needs a book to tell him how to go outside and talk to people without crying so I would take your argument with a grain of salt.

they apparently have less problems than YOU do.

anyone who has a strong reaction to the idea of self help books, and scorns others who relate that they've found them beneficial, is almost certainly a person who could strongly benefit from some form of self-help.

who do you actually think that you're kidding, pretending on Veeky Forums that you have it all so together that you casually talk down to people who admit that they want to be better people; I'm sure most all of us have met quite a few people with serious flaws who find ways to insult others to distract from them. And on the other hand, really great people who have it together don't fucking go around criticizing what other people feel they need to do in order to improve.

especially not on Veeky Forums, you fucking loser.

Because in 9/10 cases you will just get ridiculed for the examples you name on here, often with the shitposter not even having read the books you provided. Don't even try to deny this. Also some examples were provided directly after that post. You're just complaining that no one gave you the (you) you desired.
Your text is pointless alone for the fact that actual variety and range exists in this type of books that you choose to ignore in preference of being a faggot.
With that statement you pretty much confirmed that you have no idea about self help books. Reading a self help book and dismissing something as common sense is pretty much the biggest mistake you could make and shows that your attitude is inherently flawed.

>because you look down upon me and my quixotic quest to attain average intelligence you must be a bigger loser than me
so this is the power of the biting wit and sound deductions of a self help reader. you sure got me figured, bucko

i think if these books helped you so much you wouldn't feel the need to defend them from internet strangers.

Stay on topic or just remove yourself from this thread or from being alive at all. It's not that hard.

All the "wisdom" in self-help books are things which the people who read them already know. They simply lacked the courage or diligence to actually do them. Those who buy such books already have the motivation to change this about themselves and think that the book will help them. In reality, they did it all themselves but nevertheless convince themselves that the book helped them because its purchase correlated with the change in behavior (and because they don't want to admit that they wasted money on worthless garbage).

Especially today, you have to be a moron to waste money on a book like that. The dumb moticational catchphrases it contains are all over the web. Just google them.

>tfw I'm trolling mom!

>people with serious flaws who find ways to insult others to distract from them. And on the other hand, really great people who have it together don't fucking go around criticizing what other people feel they need to do in order to improve.
not him but this is patently untrue. it sounds like something a mother would say to her bullied child.
"those kids making fun of you must feel bad about themselves."

maybe the kid who gets bullied is just a dork?

Are you implying that the statements of mothers are inherently incorrect?

Self help books just aren't as cookie cutter as you meme them up to be. This is the entire flaw behind this meme. I can only look down on ignorant people like you who have no idea what they're talking about but still speak largely negatively about a topic. You're just the brainless environmental shaped drone you never wanted to be.

A lot of these commenters have little awareness of what self-help is and confuse it with motivational slogan books. Freud and Jung are also self-help, and psychology in general, up to the level of academic psychology, is useful as self-help. Alfred Adler is a good example: academic, yet if you read him you learn methods to deal with your life. The detractors in this thread seem not to have read widely in psychology and have a mindset that it must all be trite slogans. In other words, they haven't read in the field any further than a google search for motivational pictures.

well it seems to me the topic of this thread is the efficacy of self help books. and you seem very invested in telling people they work and actually improved your mental state. but the fact that you're so invested in this narrative and dismiss every view that runs counter to it as "someone who doesn't read self help books" or an ignorant troll seems to suggest that you're not complete and comfortable with yourself at all, especially because the opinions here that aren't you're are those of anonymous strangers. but you're not really arguing with them. you're arguing with your subconscious opinions which they happen to voice which is why it's so important to you.

Not him, but I'm the guy who is arguing in favor of reading self-help. He is the guy calling you out for going ballistic over something others find useful. We're too different people.

i only posted in this thread twice before this post.

and my point stands. you both seem emotionally invested in the opinion of internet strangers if self help books are your thing, good for you. be happy with it but why do you have to convince other people of your personal growth?

it's absolutely true. looking down on others and self-aggrandizement at others expense are precisely the sort of past-times that the genuinely mediocre and disturbed people engage in. perhaps you've simply not met many people who really have it together. I have, and if they think that someone is a loser, they simply don't waste any time or thought on them beyond formalities.

if you think that people concern themselves with those ostensibly inferior to them do so for any reason other than egotistical gratification, you have a lot to learn. nobody does anything without something to gain from it. those who truly have nothing to gain from inferior people simply have nothing to do with them in thought, speech, or action.

attain intelligence? what? what does intelligence have to do with any of this?

self help books are either read in hopes that it'll motivate them, which it usually won't (and if it does then not for long) or they're read by motivated people, who are looking for strategies to implement as they improve their life.

I'm not doing either of those and I really don't care. I'm having some tea and relaxing, wondering why several of the posters in this thread are so angry they feel the need to denigrate what others read. In a few minutes, I'll be gone, and not bothered, while they'll be here trying to insult others for their reading habits. By the way, I'm reading a self-help book right now, and this is a short break to have some tea.

The point you're bringing up that I am supposed to be ideal or content because I'm reading self help books and trying to improve myself is just so inherently flawed that I have no words to describe it. You want to point out my hypocrisy in being imperfect and therefore showing the lack of effect a self help book provides, it's just so silly and just shows that you have no idea what kind of information a good self help book will provide and how a realistic approach for this kind of books should look like.

It's not and never will be about life changing advice. You are arguing with a childish approach to detect a flaw in the premise itself and not the content.

Thinks And Grow Rich nigga.

>Self help books just aren't as cookie cutter as you meme them up to be.

If they weren't, then they wouldn't be called "self help books" but "educational research" and their techniques would be employed in schools and universities, rather than in overpriced seminars conducted by laypeople with degrees in pseudorology.

>it's absolutely true.
I;m afraid you'll find it's not. you see the problem is you're going into this with a preconceived notion that people who don't make fun of other people have it "together"

in real life there are plenty of people who bully other people and trash losers and never pay them a second thought.