I'm having a hard time understanding Nietzsche. I just find his style to be really confusing...

I'm having a hard time understanding Nietzsche. I just find his style to be really confusing. I've tried to read Zarathustra and The Gay Science and both have been difficult. Any advice?

git gud

p much dis niqqa

Stop reading Nietzsche. From an analytical standpoint, he is worthless. And non-analytical philosophy is shit.

And how do I do that?

any recommendations?

What field are you mostly interested in at the moment?

Or are you just asking for philosophical books that I like? If so:

- Word and Object
- The Act Itself
- Basic Rights: Subsistence, Affluence, and U.S. Foreign Policy

Analytic philosophy is shit though.

Start with the greeks and get a somehow decent grasp of post descartes stuff and the go chronologically with N

(I'm not op btw)
To be completely honest, I am a philosophical newbie, I'll check what you've listed l8r.

Non-analytical philosophy lacks rigor. It's a clusterfuck of confused rhetoric that has the apparent design of being intended to impress people who don't understand what's being discussed, and baffle people who do understand what's being discussed into intellectual submission. If you enjoy something like that, then have fun. However, if you're actually want to tackle ethical or epistemological problems, then wishy-washy philosophy won't help you much regardless of how nicely it is written.

Ok. But whatever you do, avoid Ayn Rand and Sam Harris!

increase reading comprehension. a college freshman should be able to comprehend it

If you want to do this, then skip the presocratics and don't bother to read Descartes' original work. Reading secondary literature about him is enough. Perhaps consider reading Ryle's "Concept of Mind" right after learning about Descartes.

Not really. Nietzsche uses a lot of metaphors and symbols that are ambiguous. That's why there are many different interpretations of his work.

Thats the point, brainlet, git gud. If you can't just go with the analytic autist and have fun with muh logic

>rigor is good becuz i sed so

>If you want to do this, then skip the presocratics and don't bother to read Descartes' original work.
>then skip the presocratics and don't bother to read Descartes' original work.
>then skip the presocratics
>skip the presocratics
>SKIP THE PRESOCRATICS
no
>skip presocratics

start with the greeks

Of all that is written, I love only what a person hath written with his blood. Write with blood, and thou wilt find that blood is spirit.

It is no easy task to understand unfamiliar blood; I hate the reading idlers.

He who knoweth the reader, doeth nothing more for the reader. Another century of readers—and spirit itself will stink.

Every one being allowed to learn to read, ruineth in the long run not only writing but also thinking.

Once spirit was God, then it became man, and now it even becometh populace.

He that writeth in blood and proverbs doth not want to be read, but learnt by heart.

In the mountains the shortest way is from peak to peak, but for that route thou must have long legs. Proverbs should be peaks, and those spoken to should be big and tall.

>Philosophy should be like a Choose Your Own Adventure book and those who disagree are analytic autists

I bet you really like postmodernism.

>muh will to truth

>implying postmodernism is something you can like or dislike
lmao

Nietzsche is somewhat confusing. Often is hard to tell apart the irony from the non-irony and like the good old philosophers there is much left implicit that is assumed the reader knows well - basically the highlights of philosophical thought before Nietzsche. This is obviously given because the book-form was the one way to write philosophical research, something that now has been replace by papers while books are secondary/explanatory material.
There is nothing wrong in reading secondary material unless you´re writing a serious paper.

You sir are drunk.