Stephen King, Tom Clancy and Stephenie Meyer majored in English

>Stephen King, Tom Clancy and Stephenie Meyer majored in English
>Rowling studied the classics at University
Seriously wtf, there is no excuse for these people. If they knew no better than schlock it would be understandable for them to write so much of it. I get it, they write for the masses to make bank, so they don't insert complex themes and symbolism, it's all plot. But after 4 years of reading good lit and writing essays and stuff isn't your prose expected to be decent at least?Is this what succesful English graduates amount to, airport fiction writers and literary prostitutes?

A major in English isn't that much of a prestigious achievement.

this

This is the biggest paradox in the arts. I explain it that once you make money, your entire identity changes. You become a brand. Then you defend the brand with your life. All aspiration went out the window long ago.

>I don't like thing
>I resent that these successful people literally apply their educations to their career path
>You're not supposed to be a successful author after majoring in English, that's selling out, you're supposed to do it as a hobby while working in food, I should know

>I will reply to this post something along the lines of "no they're not applying their educations because their prose sucks" or similar, for no other reason than that I don't like thing

actually I'm pretty sure that the biggest paradox in the arts is that "crazy stairs" picture, or the impossible table with three legs maybe.

I actually enjoyed Carrie. Perhaps it's because I'm not a native English speaker.

Stephen King objectively is a great storyteller. Whether his works are of literary value is of no importance to him or his readers.

Stay mad that you will never come up with so many contemporary priceless stories as he does.

>I don't like thing

Roughly speaking, taste is about 90% relative to experience and only 10% relative to the individual.

If you like something somebody else resents, then one of you is either a rare human being or unexperienced.

Lol where would you even begin to get numbers like that you fucking pseud

Are you a social scientist? You charlatan

HAHAHAHHA No one is even is reading his books now, let alone in 50-100 years. He was just that perfect 1980s excess consumerist voice

They took a four-year tour of academic literature, and happened to write what would sell. Not hard to understand.
It's not like you can follow every lit student out of a university commencement and find them rolling in cash. Most of them will be proofreading their blog post between grading papers.
Apparently lit enthusiasts do not make enough of a consumer base to get rich.

Didn't King really dislike his major and thought a lot of them were stuck up queers who couldn't write a story to save their life?

I'm sure I remember him telling a story about how one of his professors was obsessed with reading in between the lines do the detriment of completely misinterpreting the story.

I work in a bookstore. Stephen King is one of the best sellers.

I read Doctor Sleep, It (reread) and The Long Walk in the past year.

>I'm sure I remember him telling a story about how one of his professors was obsessed with reading in between the lines do the detriment of completely misinterpreting the story.

That is the sweetest part of university, knowing all those pretentious, stuck-up literary types will not succeed, while you will. It is glorious, really.

Most english majors are faggots, and I mean in the bad way

Very rarely do you make it as a literally writer, very rarely are you the david foster Wallace or pincone.
King was an impoverished English teacher before he said fuck it and just wrote prole feed genre fiction.
Well king gets a lot of Criticism for being a plebe but he did end up venturing out and writing things like shawshank and the green mile.

Well personally i always felt if you were going to "sell out", scifi and horror arent that bad, mystery too.

Every artist, the perceptive ones at least, will eventually confront the reality of not making money, making art, art under capitalism, what sells, what doesnt, do you actually care about making art or money.

If you understand markets and capitalism, it is very easy to know what to make to get rich.

Its the difference between john cage and the black eyes peas.

Do you want fame, do you want to make art, do you want to be rich.

Would you rather the critic love you or be the top seller.

Wtf hes one of the most read authors in the world

How out of touch are you gramps

Stephen king is the american Charles dickens.

I await your (yous)

The similarity is they are both read by plebs and patricians

Except dickens is and will always be studied at tertiary institutions and king will not

This sounds a little too much like old chestnut of the HS student correctly interpreting authorial intent as "the curtains were fucking blue", on the contrary of his teacher, to be true.

Also is it just me or are americans really good at horror fiction.
King, poe, lovecraft.

For the record, this post clearly contains the worst prose in the entire thread, which does much to undermine its clearly teenage-tier points about art, selling out, etc.

What if they were always just writing what they wanted to write and never "sold out"? Don't assume everyone wants to write some super profound work of art. Most writers write in order to tell a good story, and most readers read to read a good story. The rest is stuff few people care about.

All of those people produce prose that is extremely competent at certain things, and if you don't see complex themes and symbolism in their work you need to develop that muscle a little more.

You are a all sub pretentious pseudo intellectual fgts with retruded orbits and subhuman forward growth.

thanks for the tip professor, ill make sure to give a fuck when im drunk on Friday night and writing on Veeky Forums next time

It's not all clever verbiage. If you don't understand why telling a story and emotional appeal is important in books, you're missing the entire point of literature.

Someone got a thesaurus for their birthday

>its a king story about a writer that lives in new england

>Its the difference between john cage and the black eyes peas.
>implying either one of those is music