The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which low-ability individuals suffer from illusory superiority...

>The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which low-ability individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability as much higher than it really is. Psychologists David Dunning and Justin Kruger attributed this bias to a metacognitive incapacity, on the part of those with low ability, to recognize their ineptitude and evaluate their competence accurately.

Other urls found in this thread:

newyorker.com/magazine/2017/02/27/why-facts-dont-change-our-minds
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22663351
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

is this seriously your first time hearing about this? underage banned

You shouldn't assume things, user.

This really takes me back to AP psych junior year, which was almost a decade ago. You make a nigga feel old OP.

The Dunning-Kruger thing has gradually become just another way to call someone a retard during an argument.

It's still a true phenomenon regardless of people miss-using it during arguments on a mongolian rice-wine making forum.

>"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
>literally just "lol you think you're smart? Well guess what you're not as smart as you think you are"

It was annoying as hell being required to memorize this bullshit when I took psych courses.

>naming something self-evident after yourself
Looks like someone was suffering from. . . Dunning-Kruger syndrome.

Psychology suffers from a peculiar issue in that most of it's discoveries, whether they were obvious or not to begin with, always seem to feel obvious after having been explained.

Studies have been done where groups of people were told of a certain study but the results were completely altered for one of the groups.

One example was a study preformed to see if babies would respond more favorably to attractive handlers. If people were told that babies showed no preference in the attractive/unattractive handlers the majority of people agreed that this was "common sense." If they were told the opposite, then the opposite became common sense.

Tomato is a fruit

It's also the reverse, high ability people underestimating themselves. But I guess that part isn't as memeworthy.

It sure is user. In fact, I made some tomato pie just for you.

>tfw too dumb to know im smart

Perhaps you don't know what a fruit is.

That Civil War one is the most retarded thing I've ever heard. The war was fought overy States Vs Federal Rights. Slavery became the rallying cry for the north because they were loosing and needed an actual argument instead of MUH BIG GOVERNMENT. The guy who made this chart was most likely on mount stupid

>States vs Federal Rights
That's true, but one of the biggest issues of states rights was whether or not the states had the right to legalize slavery. Many northerners desired to make it illegal for new territories to legalize slavery once they became states. While their were many reasons for the civil war besides slavery, to claim the war had nothing to do with slavery is right out incorrect.

>South seceded because they were afraid Abraham Lincoln would abolish slavery
>"DuRRR it's NOT about slavery guys!"
You're a fucking retarded American hick, go read a book and stop talking out your ass you dumb southern backwards backwoods inbred incestual fucker

t. mount stupid

I'm pretty sure most of us were already aware of this. It always seems to be those with this bias who bring it up.

>isn't as memeworthy.

You do understand that in terms of psychology, all ideas are memes. That's where memetics comes from.

You do know the word meme predates the internet, right?

that's a pretty biased assessment.

we chase confirmation bias in many ways

newyorker.com/magazine/2017/02/27/why-facts-dont-change-our-minds

>muh psycholgy

Lurk more until you understand that words have colloquial meanings.

I hate this thread

I find it interesting that people who consider themselves superior almost always do so through the alignment of themselves with others, and not through anything concrete.

>it's a "rationality = being left wing" episode

the definition of fruit isn't 'tastes good in a pie'

sure, the article is politicised and the new yorker's editorial agenda is quite transparent, but I still find the core of the article revealing. we tend to politicise matters that aren't really political

>what is Veeky Forums

Reality has a left wing bias.

I used to use that as a diss all the time, when I was a teenager, in 2008.

i-it isnt?!

>>>Reality
Im-fucking-plying

the statement was "fruit, not a vegetable." the tomato performs the biological function of a fruit but culinarily it is a vegetable. the fruit/vegetable dichotomy is a culinary one; biologically speaking the word vegetable is meaningless.

What if i think myself stupid but people call me intelligent
now what

>yfw people who don't understand the Dunning-Kruger effect use it to accuse others of inability to process complex information in fields they themselves don't understand
>yfw the phrase "Dunning-Kruger" has become a defense mechanism to cover up one's own lack of understanding

>missing the point this hard

conversely having zero ego or self-esteem is equally flawed

you just gotta be realistic in life

>psychology
>relevant
I would eat a tomato pie. Savory pies exist, you know.

Facts don't exist, sorry.

Don't you ever get tired of this meme?

Actually, assumptions are an essential part of cognition.

>facts exist because some greek guy sed so

When you get tired of setting up strawmen, let me know.

>strawmen are bad because some greek guy sed so
Better go get yourself a boy

>being required to memorize this

Right. I'm sure it required a long, sustained, arduous effort for you to memorize this single fact. Quit crying, brainlet.

>biologically speaking the word vegetable is meaningless
You (that is, I) learn something new every day.

>Facts don't exist
Except for that fact, apparently.

not a fact, my will

A tomato IS a fruit though. That's not even an opinion.

I as well took AP psych nearly a decade ago user.

Are you by chance a Florida fag as well?

>his will doesn't constitute facts

Will isn't fact

Is that a fact?

This is why going to the gym is good, it really makes you appreciate your limits and gives you a good sense of the need for effort and humility.

>Dunning-Kruger
>the reason we need effort and humility
No, Dunning-Kruger is the reason we need to base our self-image on actual functional abilities competitively tested in as wide an environment as possible.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22663351

>The so-called bias blind spot arises when people report that thinking biases are more prevalent in others than in themselves. Bias turns out to be relatively easy to recognize in the behaviors of others, but often difficult to detect in one's own judgments. Most previous research on the bias blind spot has focused on bias in the social domain. In 2 studies, we found replicable bias blind spots with respect to many of the classic cognitive biases studied in the heuristics and biases literature (e.g., Tversky & Kahneman, 1974). Further, we found that none of these bias blind spots were attenuated by measures of cognitive sophistication such as cognitive ability or thinking dispositions related to bias. If anything, a larger bias blind spot was associated with higher cognitive ability. Additional analyses indicated that being free of the bias blind spot does not help a person avoid the actual classic cognitive biases.

I agree with the basic rationale, but what do you mean by that? It's not much of a response.

It means that having better cognitive abilities frequently does not lead one to accurately reassess his own biases, but only gives them better tools to excuse them away.

Yes, hence the need to test it with and against as many other people as possible. Sorry if that was unclear, but it's what was meant by 'as wide an environment as possible'.

No, it's my will.
>this is what fedoralords actually believe

What do you believe?

you are? What are you plying?

>No, it's my will.

>If I call it something else, it will make it different

Theres a kosovar Albanian on trial in Ireland atm for killing his ex partner and mother of his children in front of witnesses. It's literally a slam dunk of a case but the guy is so brazen he dismissed his defense so he can represent himself. It's amazing, it's almost as if he's truely convinced himself he's innocent. So far he's claimed he didn't hear about the incident until it appeared on the news despite driving her to hospital and CCTV footage of him walking around the reception, throwing wild conspiracies at witnesses and punching the prosecutor in the face. How can someone not be aware how stupid they are?