Why don't grocery stores sell turkey as they do with chicken...

Why don't grocery stores sell turkey as they do with chicken? I know ground turkey is sold but why can't I buy turkey breasts, thighs, and cutlets?

Fascinating question desu. Lurking

Your supermarket has a poor selection. My local markets sell those things.

I can't get my head around turkeys. It's delicious, it can't fly, it looks stupid and it's far from camouflaged. Yet somehow it managed to survive as a species.

thats not true where i live. (southern california). just about no grocery store here has turkey parts. Im in agreement with OP.

Jennie-O turkey loins my man.

Domestication and cultivation.
There are far more stupid creatures floating about. It's all about whether or not they had natural predators.

same southern cali poster posting again. everytime i go to the local mountains i always see flocks of wild turkeys. like everytime i go up there i see them. they did something right as a species because they are prolific here

Wild turkeys can fly and will bolt if they hear a twig snap 300 yards away. They also blend in well in most North American forests, the bright blue head only happens when a tom/jake is trying to impress a hen/jenny. Youre thinking of farm turkeys, those things are so dumb they drown looking up at the rain.

>they drown looking up at the rain
kek

turkey simply isn't popular in your area. the items sold in your supermarket are determined directly by local demand. i've seen supermarkets with turkey cuts.

Because it's cheaper and more economical to raise broiler chickens
/thread

The publix in my city sells turkey legs.

I can usually find breasts and legs at my local stores,. At least during the fall and winter

You don't see whole birds outside of holidays but you can easily find legs, breasts and knecks. In fact I made Martha Stewarts braised turkey legs a few weeks ago. Look around and go to a decent grocery instead of piggly wiggly.

Which markets do you go to?

It's funny but he's not joking

As anons have said, real wild turkey is much smarter, leaner, and faster than the stuff we farm

Washington DC area user here, I can regularly find turkey breasts and legs at my local Harris Teeter.

Lucky.

Final bump

Watched some videos on wild turkeys and they're quite beautiful birds. Apparently they almost became the American national symbol instead of the eagle. And did nearly go extinct around the '30s, but that was people's fault, of course, like with the Dodo.

>did nearly go extinct around the '30s
And now it's illegal to hunt them, even though the population has gotten near unsustainable and they're aggressive cunts that can wreck your garden.

>it's illegal to hunt them
huh?

Where are you from?

You just need a hunting license around here.

Once in a while, I see wild turkeys running around in the fields near my workplace. I've had to slow down or stop my car a few times when they burst out of the bushes near the road and run across. It's been a while since I've seen any, though, there are so many coyotes in the area.

We have both a spring and fall season for them in my state.

Go to Wal-Mart. They have turkey 24x7x365.25. I go through a three-pack of drumsticks every week.

Don't get turkey wings. Farmed turkeys have been bred to deemphasize the wings, so they have very little meat in them. Instead you get a thick layer of gristle and fat and a bunch of big bones. They are damn near inedible. They're probably only useful for people who are feeding them to their dogs. I got them only one time, never again.

>Go to Wal-Mart
I live in the US and the closest walmart is like 30-50 minutes away depending on traffic.

Fuck that shit.

I have 3 grocery stores within 4 minutes of my house.

>southern california
Move to a non-shit state.

>those things are so dumb they drown looking up at the rain.
That's hilarious, but I almost feel bad for them

Yeah man, like where the hell did you live? We have two turkey seasons here.

For OP, you must just have a meat department manager who orders shit, I can find all kinds of turkey parts. Legs, thighs, breasts, and necks are available.

Turkeys pretty interesting as an animal

It's like the only new world animal thats consumed in anglo countries and in America, all other animals are old world

california is top tier

White tail Deer, salt water crocodile, bison.... Elk, Moose.... that's all new world animals consumed in both areas.

You can't really find that in stores like Turkey, I mean yeah people eat them, but it's not an everyday thing and it's not an every person thing, like Turkey, Pig, Cow, that sort of thing

No one buys those things in your area outside of November and December

I live in Iowa, and I see croc, elk, and bison all the time. Deer is more seasonal because its mostly hunted, and moose is a rarity only seen at gun show conventions in my area.

this. supply/demand.

They do sell that.
You're an idiot.

>mfw city cucks will never know what it's like to feed wild turkeys cheap chicken feed until they multiply to the point where you're eating a turkey evrey month
>they will never know what it's like to live off the land and have to be fed my big ag
suck it pavement apes.

>mfw country bumpkins eating shitty turkey will never know the feel of fucking someone you are not related to

>cheap feed
>not a monsanto bitch

I thought dogs shouldn't eat poultry bones: something about the way they splinter makes them choking hazards?

So talk to your grocery store's meat department manager and tell him you want some fucking turkey.

Pretty sure we have buffalo.

We also have antelope, bighorn sheep, deer, elk, moose, prairie chickens and quail that were native.

Stop hitting chain stores, local or ethnic will have it.

this is only true for cooked bones. raw is fine. used to work at a pet shop and we sold raw turkey necks, chicken necks, all sorts

ive seen alligator at hyvee