Working on a grilled cheese sandwich food truck concept right now

Working on a grilled cheese sandwich food truck concept right now.

Other urls found in this thread:

capecodonline.com/dining/restaurant-review-grilled-cheese-gallery/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nice b8

Sage

Welcome to 2013 my man lmao

I'd like one order of chicken strips please

id like a mcchicken please

I'LL HAVE A QUESADILLA
HAHA

Thanks for not disappointing me. But seriously, I am serious. I realize I am not pushing any sort of boundaries. The food truck scene in my city is growing quickly, but definitely still in its infancy. There's not a food truck within 2 hours of me doing grilled cheese, and no one in my city currently doing grilled sandwiches. That's all.

huh maybe theres no demand for it or something

LOL that's how it works.

There's at least one in seattle but I've never got food there. Cheese wizards I think. It's probably feasible. What are you thinking? What kind of grilled cheese?

ding ding ding

I already have a relationship with a local baker. Great tasting, freshly baked bread is important to me. The plan (as of now) is to offer simple comfort food. A classic version, a couple that combine cheeses, items such as turkey and cheese, ham and cheese, bacon and cheese, tomato and cheese, and probably a couple of grilled dessert options. Most sandwiches would probably have a signature sauce or condiment. I will probably do soup in the cooler months. I will definitely be doing housemade pickles in the warmer months.

I realize you're probably just trolling, but if you're even a tiny bit serious you should leave your basement once in awhile and see how the real world actually works.

Hmmm, OP might just have a unique idea that could make him tens, if not dozens of dollars.

BTW, food trucks are a fad on the way out. People are realizing $15 for a grilled cheese is retarded.

"I want to sell comfort food out of a truck parked in the middle of the street which is one of the least comfortable environments to enjoy your comfort food, despite the fact that even if I was parked on your lawn it would just be quicker and cheaper for you to make your own, and also despite the fact that I can reasonably expect the competition will often offer a much more interesting product that the average consumer would not otherwise make for themselves, in a location that has positively zero market evidence that my product will even sell, but does have reasonable evidence that maybe fucking nobody wants it in the first place. But you need to understand how the world works, kiddo."

t. someone who is one month away from trying to sell a truck for more than its worth

That sounds like it would fly pretty well in my city, but I live in seattle for what it's worth.

I was going to suggest soup with it but looks like you've thought it out pretty well. As long as the ingredients are quality, especially the cheese, and the food is consistently cooked properly, I think it could do fine. After that, it's mostly location and figuring out the optimal price (and finding the perfect quality to price ratio for your ingredients).

Have you done any of the math for how much you'd have to charge based on amount of patrons and the cost of ingredients you're considering? Obviously factoring in operating fees and any other business expenses.

Captcha: kingsbury assco

Oh, one other thing. You could perhaps try setting up a stand at fairs and festivals to see how people respond to your business first before committing to the food truck.

Offer a side

make bank by charging like 3 dollars tops for something supergreasy and thin. make bread an afterthought

or adults living off of kids food and buying superhero toys because they never mentally matured past age 12

I have a grilled cheese truck in the town I work at, that does a brie and apricot preserves grilled cheese that is quite good. You could also do Chef John's take on brie and pears for something a bit more sophisticated. But it works for something sweet. I like the idea of soup and a hunk of bread during colder months.

Just rip off this place's menu and set up shop next to bars without food.

I actually already own and operate a couple of mobile units. One unit is better equipped to handle a higher volume, a slightly bigger menu, and looks better at my catering gigs, but that's really the only difference. The concept is still the same. I'm not bailing on my original concept, just diversifying.

The pop-up tent is such great advice. I wish someone had given it to me two years ago. I'm definitely still a newb at this, but at least I'm out there grinding every day and making a living. I've made a million mistakes along the way, but I rarely make the same mistake twice.

LOL, I already have contacts at many of those bars and breweries. I'll probably just save image for research purposes.

I'm comfortable with the real comfy stuff, but I will be working with an actual chef to help me develop a few of more unique items.

"sure I'll make a food truck that sells one of the easiest foods to make in the fucking world"
Great plan

>DIPPING SAUCE - SAUCE

I didn't realize you already had some food trucks. Then you've probably got the logistics and math worked out. Then I guess the main response is that they're all over the US so it's definitely doable. As long as the area isn't over-saturated with grilled cheese trucks then it'll probably go well, especially in winter. Maybe offer some healthier sides like salad and vegetables because a lot of people like have something healthy (and fiber rich) with such rich food.

What kind of advice or information were you looking for by asking the co/ck/lords?

I'll admit, that idea wasn't immediately obvious to me until my wife pointed it out. It's such a great idea on many levels.

Fast, delicious, cheap, and satisfying. Good luck, OP.

do a deconstructed grilled cheese on the menu.

>already toasted bread
>nacho cheese sauce in a cup

havent i read this exact same fucking thread before

Make sure to include the most basic options, stuff like just pick cheeses or regular grilled cheese and bacon. This may seem obvious, but so many grilled cheese trucks will only have their "advanced" versions of it with like mac & cheese or pulled pork and you can't just get a damn grilled cheese there.

Lunchtime service and catering gigs will most certainly require a salad option.

I wasn't really looking for any advice. I'm really just enjoying a very rare opportunity to waste a Sunday evening.

sound really good. I would go there.

Try not to sell it for fucking $10. I can't find even a basic lunch in my city for less than $8-9. If I knew a place serving something simple and good for $5 I'd probably go there every weekday if it were close to me.

Great insight, thank you.

A meatloaf patty melt if made right will make people seek you out. Couple different ground beef melts will give people an option other than just grilled cheese.

I hear that way too much from people in different parts of the country. I know some people just automatically equate food trucks with overpriced hipster shit. With the exception of a couple local trucks, that is not the case in our community. Almost every truck is selling food at or below the price you would expect to pay for it at any other restaurant in town.

Hmmm, my wife makes a really great meatloaf too. Good idea user, definitely something to think about.

Thanks man.

Here it depends on the truck. We have taco trucks with actual Mexicans working them and you can get a big ass plate of tacos for like $4.
On the other hand we have a truck here like OP is talking about that serves fucking glorified grilled cheese sandwiches for like $6.
tl;dr fuck hipsters

Exactly what I was gonna post.
Some food trucks here charge almost 15 bucks for a goddamn grilled cheese. I don't give a shit if you put unicorn cum in your goddamn sandwich, no fucking grilled cheese will ever be worth more than 7-8 dollars.

In preparation for this thread, I made and consumed my first ever mayo-instead-of-butter grilled because that's the direction I expected the conversation to immediately go. It was awful, by the way.

sorry desu, there already is one

Be sure to have vegan and gluten free options

Even $7-8 is too much considering they probably spend less than a $1 to produce one unless they use some "artisan" cheese and bread.

>unless they use some "artisan" cheese and bread
Well to be fair I'd still expect that.
I wouldn't get lunch at a food truck for wonderbread and kraft singles.

I'm just a normal dad that appreciates good food and a fair price too. As a consumer, I am definitely willing to pay a little more for something I know is of higher quality than average. I am also willing to pay a little more when I know certain items have been sourced locally. Its probably more obvious to those of us that work in the industry, but there is a fine line between charging a premium price for a premium product, and just flat out over charging. I love eating great food and supporting local businesses, but I'll also eat at Taco Bell because it's cheap and readily available.

Sure, but don't forget it's grilled cheese we're talking about.

This place seems to do pretty good business.
capecodonline.com/dining/restaurant-review-grilled-cheese-gallery/

I think $7-8 would be probably be below average here (truck or brick and mortar) for fresh bread, good cheese, a protein, and a housemade sauce and pickle spear.

I'm obviously not the most articulate fellow, because that was my point.

I've got a very poverty based meatloaf based on onion, A1 sauce, worcestershire, tabasco, S&P, and a bit of bread crumb that ends up very flavourful and perfect for a melt.

You need the perfect combo that brings them back.

i mean... he should probably test the market a little bit if this is something people would be interested in.

You don't start a business because you love it. You start a business because you're going to make money. Sure there's probably a balance between those two poles but if you don't make money you don't have a business, so the "passion" aspect is just a nice-to-have but ultimately should be an afterthought