Is playing chess actually beneficial apart from improving your ability to play chess?

Is playing chess actually beneficial apart from improving your ability to play chess?
I have read/heard conflicting ideas about this.
What does Veeky Forums think?

yes

what benefits does it provide?

citations?

think about it this way, do you feel sharper after playing difficult games or reading dense literature (i know none of you are literate)? i do. so its believable

Anecdotes are not citations, friendo.

Reading literature presents you with new ideas, new words and new ways of thinking. Chess presents you with new ways of playing chess.

Play Go or Shogi instead, as they have greater computational complexity

I've actually heard that chess can at first lead to social isolation and eventually facilitate the the onset of autism.

>go
>btfo by computers
>chess
>btfo by computers btfo by computers
even in death it lives

Likely not. Chess has a lot to do with memorization (of openings, theories, patterns) and memory is a limited resource.

Visualization, analytical thinking, strategical thinking, tactical thinking, planning.

Nice meme, worthy of the GET.

Shogi definitely, Go is pretty on par with chess but it's apples and oranges really.

>Cheked

Any studies showing that these skills are transferable from chess to real life and that they are gained by playing chess rather than only being skills necessary to have in order to be great at chess?

Asking for citations about someones opinions on Veeky Forums
>>>/kys/

No but there are studies showing that the brain has plasticity and those are things that chess requires therefore by playing chess you're exercising those skills.

Jokes on you I'm already autistic

it improves pattern memorization and problem-solving, like a lot of other games. that's it.

I agree with this, with repeated playing it should strengthen the neural pathways responsible for analytical thinking, strategic thinking, planning etc. The strengthened pathways wouldn't be exclusive only to the context of a chess game.

Just because you feel sharper, it doesn't mean you're actually sharper.

It improves spatial cognitive skills, but that's about it. If you wan to be able to learn any kind of math just by playing chess, it would be very unlikely.

Does not get you sharper in any way, but allows to find decent friends. Chess + alcohol + good conversation = patrician lifestyle

It doesn't though. They already tried early intervention with chess, it didn't increase IQ.

Definitely. I assume there to be multiple papers on said benefits. In my own experience (I like playing chess with different people) it gives you this strategic edge over others. Planning things like revenge, exposures cheating requires insight into every move a 'player' can make. That, in its essence, is also required in order to be considered a good chess player.

yeah japanese chess is way better than chess oh wait

It even influences speech. Personally I now carefully choose what to say and think over everything much more often, as to not give the opposing 'player' a opportunity to hurt me. You could call that experience but it doesn't feel like it to me.