Kawell in the Kitchen: That's a tenderloin in my pocket, I swear... Edition

Well, well, well... well well... well well well well well. It's been far too long since I've made one of these, and I might be a bit rusty in the technique department... but let's give it the old shitshow anyway. I'm looking to amp up my cookalong threads again, but my diet in the past months has changed significantly (as has my weight, -30lb and counting). Tonight we'll just stick to some homestyle classics to kick things off again, with slightly healthier meals in the future.

For your lurking pleasure and or displeasure, I'm going to whip up some pork tenderloin, shredded brussel sprouts and a nice heap of homemade spicy mustard to pair with the meat.

That amorphous blob in the bag is actually the base for my mustard. It's about 1/4 cup Spanish mustard powder, along with about 3 heaps of white mustard seed. They've been marinating in some apple cider vinegar for three hours to get nice and merry.

What makes the mustard spicy is the radish. Typically, not that spicy when consumed whole... but when blended to a fine consistency it has about as much kick as sushi house wasabi. Other ingredients are garlic, lemon juice, turmeric, and some S&P. Simple and effective recipe. The turmeric is only there to add color. The radishes will turn the mustard pink otherwise.

Blend well, and you have a pretty decent mustard.

Sprouts get a wash and their stems cut. We'll just be halving these and shredding them for later. They only take about 5 minutes to cook up so it will be the last thing we do.

You can chop the core finer. I didn't.

The tenderloin was moderately priced. I was just looking for some shit to cook tonight and saw it was on sale. Seen 'em cheaper bigger, but pork prices have been going up in my area lately.

Ton of silver skin on this thing. Took a less than sharpened filet knife to the thing and got it all off.

You can observe the mastery of what an unsharpened knife can do. I'll have to take a grinder to it later.

Well the damn thing was pretty big. Plan was to sear it off before getting it in the oven. So I cut it in half and got my dry rub on there which consisted for garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, salt, pepper and dry oregano (rookie mistake, you'll see why later).

First half.

Pan... nice and hot...

...and that's why you don't put dry leaf seasonings on something you're searing off. Got some nice crispy black shit (admittedly pretty tasty) from the oregano leaves. Like I said, rookie mistake.

Adjusted temperature and positioning of the second half and ended up with a better sear, surprisingly.

So they go in an oven at 400F for... I don't know, let's say 15 minutes. It was guess work, I was going by memory.

15 minutes elapsed.
Rest them up for another 10.

Time to get the sprouts cooked. Used a seasoning combination of salt, pepper, lemon zest, lemon juice and hungarian paprika. This particular blend is supposed to leave them smokey, sweet and a bit astringent. Very good profile for sprouts.

Originally I was going to saute them with the tenderloin tear bits still in there, but because of that fuckup with the oregano, instead of a delicious brown, porkgasbord I got a delicious, black porkgasbord. Maybe next time, I didn't want to destroy the presentation.

Elapsed time, 5 minutes.

With everything done we can start tearing into the meat.

Happy to say I didn't fuck up the timing. Came out tender and moist.

And the final plate. Tasted fine, can't complain.

One more at a different view.

Thanks. So long. It was fun. See you next time.

I'm going to go finish off my whiskey.

How do I upvote this thread

second thumbs up

oh shit i missed a kawell thread. its been like a year good to see youre still around.

tip top thread OP

Where did you find such nice looking sprouts this time of year? All the ones my grocery store has had since about April have looked like someone ran them over.

Local hippy market. They grow surprisingly good produce.

radishes in a dish? I'm curious now. I just eat them plain.

...come on google, you've made me find the same vehicle 12 times by now. Get some new images.

i want to critique the fuck out of this but this board is suffering in quality and this thread is more of the content I'd like to see

I was sure you were going to
>coat entire loin in mustard
>panko
>roast

I've only seen that done with rack of lamb and venison but might be nice with pork why not

also your sprouts seem boring. some darker color and balsamic vinegar could be very nice

user, it's pretty much fantastic. From the ingredients, the taste must have been quite good.

Just the colours are a bit dull, maybe some red, like some grilled pepperbell, could have done it some good.

Otherwise, 8/10.

I don't know if I can easily find the ingredients, but now I want to make my own mustard, if only to have pink mustard.

I actually think it makes it look amazing, and if it tastes good too, then I'd say it's more of a lucky accident.

You overcooked it.
It's supposed to end up like this.