Do people ever eat the stem of broccoli? Are there nutrients in it...

Do people ever eat the stem of broccoli? Are there nutrients in it? Or is the leafy part of broccoli the nutrient dense part?

Despite popular belief the stem actually has the MOST nutrients in it

You're a Fucking liar.

Sometimes, but peeling all the damn awkwardly shaped stems right after theyve been steamed brings my ass too much pain to do it often

Save them in freezer with other veggie ends for stock.
Broccoli Cheddar soup with homemade stock? Man.

>being so poor you have to eat the shit part of the vegetable

lmao this is really funny

>deliberately wasting food and finding it humorous
Fuck you, you dumb nigger

grate, use in slaw

I dunno about nutrients but I legit find it to be the best part of the broc

pepin likes them therefor they are great

povvo

I don't know about nutrient density, but it is where the broccoli's antioxidants are largely kept

I like the stem more than the crown, honestly. It has a very sweet taste and a firm texture plus it's much more difficult to over-cook and is more versatile to boot. The only caveat is that you have to peel it first.

I do.

Peel the inedible skin off. The interior stem is unique. It's crisp and watery, like celery or cucumber.

Do it before you steam the stem, and then don't steam the stem and eat it raw.

Run it through a mandoline and deep fry or include in a gratin, or roast with garlic and rosemary, cover in mornay sauce ey

I used to feed them to my doggo, for some reason he liked them.

You could try shaving them into flat sheets with a mandolin or veg peeler and then cook them for an interesting veg side. Maybe stuff them and roll up.

I chop them up and put them in stews/soups. They become tender and absorb a lot of flavor.

>mandolin
Retard.

Broccoli for stock.

the absolute state of /ck

To topic:
If they are really fresh you dont even need to peel them, just cut them up into nice disks or whatever form you want and use in a stir fry.

I'll blend them up for soup, chop them and cook them (needs more time than the crowns), slice them and tempura them...

Broccoli on the stem here is almost always the same price per unit, if not cheaper, than crowns.

Gross

>It's crisp and watery, like celery
Yeah I described it to someone as celery without the fibers. It's pretty good. Just peel the big main stem, the parts that branch out into the florets are mostly fine if you just slice it thinly.

Many people on here talk about peeling the stem. I've never done that before, should I start now? I've never even noticed a skin on the stems before. Is peeling recommended from a health/nutritional standpoint, or for taste, or both?

It depends on how tough it is, if the broccoli is younger it'll be more tender and you won't have to peel it, it's just to give it a better texture if it's too fibrous.

I'll usually peel below the red line, but the individual floret stalks are usually fine to leave unpeeled.

I peel and chop broccoli stems for one specific dish I make, and you have to be really thorough with peeling it otherwise you can get rather tough and woody fibers in your food. The skin of the broccoli stem itself can be very tough, however, If you peel it properly, the insides are a nice addition to a dish.

What I do is slice and then peel off the skin with my fingers, it stays together and comes off in big pieces, and then I run a knife down the sides to remove any remaining woody fibers. You will still get some if you don't do this part.

is a pretty good guideline. Basically, the further down the harder and tougher the stem is, and the more thoroughly you must peel it.

Trim it and slice it into medallions, it's tasty and adds interest of shape and color to your stir frys and soups.

Interesting. Never occured to me to peel it. Suppose I could just use the same peeler I normally use for asparagus and give it a try.

+, I then can consider my self a no-waste hipster…
Isn't thre a bunch of new, hiped cook-books where they use every part of the vegetable?

>eating broccoli
enjoy your alzheimer's

it PREVENTS it, moron

No we don't you dumb weeb.

actually if you trim them and cut them into thin rounds, you can pickle them and they are great in all kinds of things. also veg stock if you want

whats wrong with mandolins?

A mandolin is a musical instrument.
A mandoline is the kitchen gizmo.

>Catalog
ah...how did i not even notice that. good catch

>The skin of the broccoli stem itself can be very tough, however, If you peel it properly, the insides are a nice addition to a dish.

This cuteboy knows whats up

why are the japanese ones spelled without the e?

I have a japanese one

Thats what i meant. I realized i was talking nonsense after i posted.

>why are the japanese ones spelled without the e?
They aren't. You're simply encountering retards who can't spell. It's not something special or different about Japanese ones.

Use it to make broccoli soup.

Do some reading. Stems are way denser in nutrition than leaves or florets.

This is true of most vegetables.

benriner spells it that way

Maybe julian the stems and saute?

reminds me of maplestory for some reason

Parasite

man the stem is the best part of the broccoli

>julian
*julienne
Fucking retard.

fuck off randy

mushroom forest thing yeah totally i'm with you here my nigga
spent way too long grinding there to get lv30 pre-0.55

My mum eats it all the time either raw (which I always give her a look over) or she puts it in soup. I figure it must have some health benefits since she's big into that whole healthy eating schtick.

Yes there are nutrients in it. Most minerals in brassica vegetables (chard, collards, broccoli) is stored in the stem.

I always eat it, tastes the same as the flower parts, no reason to not really other than it looks tad awkward