Does anyone else on Veeky Forums work with Magnetic Resonance Imaging?

Does anyone else on Veeky Forums work with Magnetic Resonance Imaging?

i actually do, as a research assistant for a lab focussing on the investigation of MRI as a biomarker for musculoskeletal diseases, what you wanna know bruv

Really? Musculoskeletal is the one region i basically figured MR would have the least/last impact, since x-ray/CT is good for bone and cheap.

What kind of disease/biomarkers?

I had an MRI because I was having seizures. Turns out I have a hole in my brain.

>Turns out I have a hole in my brain.
How so?

A complete abscess or a growth?

I was pretty young, ~ 14 years old, when I had the scans. Around 8 I started having grand mal seizures at a pretty regular frequency (monthly). The doctors said it was either a pocket of fluid or I was actually missing some brain matter. They theorized that my seizures were caused by a cist (? I think that's what they said) repturing and my brain reacting to that. I stopped having them as frequently when I was 15 and the last one I had was three years ago. I'm trying to find the scans, I have them saved somewhere - I think on my old email. I cant get into it.

Pic related

I'm sorry to hear that user

>literally brainlet

What's your educational background like? Wondering if a degree im physics/chemistry + biology self study could potentially allow me to end up in radiography.

MRI technology can provide you with spect data allowing you to assess quite accurately the water/fat ratio (which turns out is relevant for understanding the state of decay of muscle )

Christ, sorry to hear that. Does it affect you intellectually? I can't imagine having something like that wrong with my brain, intellect is basically all I have going for me, if that was negatively impacted in some way, I probably wouldn't want to live.

Bs in Biology an psychology.
Working with MR tech and PhD I can tell you there is different level of understanding MR.
There is the classical mech approach which allow you to operate the machine (most tech stop there ) then there is the much more rigorous quantum mech which gave you a complete understanding of the process but required a good understanding of math. Any how from proton to picture is a decent book if you just wanna operate the machine, I beleive the pdf version is free on the web.for a better conceptual understanding I recommend spin dynamic ( could not find a pdf you might have to pay for it ) and then finally for a in depth study Magnetic resonance imaging: Physical principles and sequence design hopes that help.

I have been diagnosed with high functioning autism, it really doesnt effect me. I've always been in the top 5% of students in respects to test taking. And I'm the best student in my physics class and calc class (both are high As) and I'm planning to go to school to get a physics bacholors. Also, I play instruments (piano and guitar) at a relatively high level. I do suck at school though, I don't apply myself in things that aren't stem related. Multiple times throughout my schooling I've had teachers call me out for not working hard enough or forgeting assignments or due dates. I think that's what its effecting. I got a 34 on my ACTs but my gpa is a 2.7.

Well, good luck, user.

Thank you for the recommendation. I'm currently studying an undergrad in astrophysics, but statistics from the American Institute of Physics saying only 5% of astrophysicists are emplyoed in the field itself have me worried. Most end up in CS which I'd rather take the rope over. Has me wondering whether I should be taking some kind of life physics. (From Canada, huge demand for healthcare workers) Do you have any intuition if someone could end up in healthcare with no formal education in the life sciences?

Thanks user, I hope I make it

Ohh you're doing MR Spectrospcopy?

Indeed i've heard a lot of research around that, but not as much clinical applications

i would say my work is 70 % clinical (drug trial ) and 30 % academic research (NIH etc).

finding a job is pretty hard trust me (unless you are lucky or well-connected to begin with ),i was the former, the problem is that many people expect a high paying entry job. In my case, I apply to a couple of hundreds of job and took this job mainly as a heuristic experience. while I take some time off before going back for an advanced degree.
Honestly and at the risk of sounding overly cliche if you love astrophysics go for it.
if you are thinking of going to the healthcare field at least in the states you ll need a bit of background so classes like BIO(1&2) you probably took gen chem but the real good stuff come after you take Orgo, class like upper division Genetic and Biochem. Unfortunately, they required quite an investment but if you knock that down you could qualify for any healthcare field at least in the states (ie you could apply to Medschool*, PA**school dentistry* etc ).
try getting some experience as a research volunteer in labs you might not learn shit but you can put on your resume.

i put stars because you ll need non academic req

I'm honestly not in STEM for the money at all; that's why I'm the only one of my friends taking Physics overr Eng. With that mindset I feel like I can end up in the 5%, even if it's for some South American observatory or whatever. My program doesn't leave a whole lot of room for electives, unfortunately, but I could probably fit some 100 level Bio in there. Are you saying if I have some basic Bio along with a major in Physics I could qualify for low-level healthcare positions? (Not requiring medschool) I'm just thinking of the worst case Ontario wherein I don't end up finding employment in Astro.

Honestly in my humble opinion, Bio 100 without the upper level is pretty bleak. I would encourage you to volunteer on a research project/lab or at the very least hospital again something you can put on your resume.

Okay, great. Thank you for your advice.

They use MR for drug trials?