Let's be honest. Did Plato say anything that isn't obvious to modern, educated white people?

Let's be honest. Did Plato say anything that isn't obvious to modern, educated white people?

Let's be honest. Did Benjamin Franklin discover anything that isn't obvious to modern, educated white people?

Let's be honest. You skim read Plato and think you grasp why he's important

Should I start with Republic? It was 3 bux at the used store.

0/10 bait

Well I suggest paris, but if thats out of your budget a cafe in your local metropolis also works.

>Did Plato say anything that isn't obvious to modern, educated white people?

He only helped create modern, educated white people.

Actually just read em the way thrasyllus organized them. Start with Euthyphro, Apologia, Crito, and Phaedo first before anything.

If you do not already know the answer is a resounding "YES" to your question, then you, my friend, may number yourself among the many who do not understand Plato. If you did, you would realize they [the many] do not.

Why don't you read him and find out? The answer may shock you.

Plato's Republic is worth reading for the prose as much as the philosophy. Socrates is just a damn good character that anyone who's at all philosophically minded can relate to. It's fun to imagine him blowing Athenian blowhards the fuck out.

Beside the fact that you're obviously misunderstanding (finishing a book of philosophy doesn't mean you've accquired its substance), you add retardation to your already brain damaged post by omitting that modern man came from greeks and christian tradition. gr8 b8

it's actually only worth for the prose and to get some grasp of its historical/cultural importance
for everything about the philosophy, desu.

and if it's about the philosophy, it should be done in a critical way.

check out the Timaeus. god tier

for everything except for the philosophy*
darn

I always found his style rather tedious. It's impressive how much he manages to accomplish with it, but it's still tough for me to read.

It is obvious because he has already said it.

You dense fuck.

Which translation were you reading? Some are indeed much wordier than others. I read Cornford's translation and in the preface he even says it's a shame that translators often don't convey the elegance of Plato's prose.

The argument for historical importance is retarded, OP didn't contest it. But we don't celebrate the first proto-human who realised that round objects can be used as wheel as the greatest engineer because it's obvious to us.
As to OP's question, philosophy of Plato is sort of embedded in any school curriculum worth its salt that makes his ideas instinctive on a basic level. I don't think the theory of forms is obvious to modern people, it's quite outlandish, especially in the era of materialistic STEMfags taking over, and most people only know it's perversion - christianity. Republic is a foundational text of political theory, however 'fascist' it seems to modern sensibilities.

''The entirety of Western philosophy is nothing more than a series of footnotes on Plato.'' - Ingmar Bergman

Bloom. I thought I just found the dialogue format tedious, but that may have had something to do with it.

I'm a modern, educated white person and don't agree with him at all. Not all of us are liberals. Conservatives disagree with Plato on lots, and so do radicals, especially anarchists.

Cornford cuts out a lot of the repetitive dialogue.

Plato said its not virtuous to be a cuck.

>not starting with Meno and Ion

stay pleb

>Plato
>Liberal
Might want to (re-)read Republic

>starting with Meno and Ion

that's a really big jump from what op asked

Categorizing Plato into any kind of modern political groups is fucking retarded.

I see you haven't read Hegel

nice dubs

The existence of Homer.

yeah, dude was pretty smart

idealism is bs

>most people only know it's perversion - christianity
You need to leave.

Plato is just some dead white guy, who cares what he thinks

t. christfag

Burger, I...