I am a high school student who will soon finish school. Mathematics is my favorite subject...

I am a high school student who will soon finish school. Mathematics is my favorite subject, and so far calculus 1 is going very well.

Because I enjoy mathematics a lot, I kind of want to major in it. However, right now I'm planning on CS because I have heard that the job outlook is much better for CS majors.

Does anyone with firsthand experience in either of these fields have any advice for somebody deciding on which direction to take in life? I'm also open to other sciences like chemistry, but mathematics is way more fun and interesting to me.

Major in CS, minor in Mathematics

There arent any good jobs in either. Dont fall for the memes

Here's an advice for you: don't ask people on an anime website for advice on what you will be doing for the rest of your life.

Unless OP is considering watching anime for the rest of their life.

>However, right now I'm planning on CS because I have heard that the job outlook is much better for CS majors.

You can get a CS job with literally any major.

Don't worry too much about your first year. Most of the program's you're interested in will have similar courses so as long as you're plowing through those you're all good. Ie calculus, linear algebra, stats, programming, maybe physics or another science, as well as some English course usually.

Check the program course requirements for those that you are considering.

I'm in the same situation as OP, but with physics.

CS is pajeet shit

You're such a fucking idiot, where the fuck are you getting this idea?

There is a massive disconnect here between Veeky Forums's retarded viewpoint on CS, and the reality

Maybe if you want shit tier codemonkey jobs writing front-end web interfaces in javascript then you don't need a degree. But good luck getting a job at Google without either having a degree from a highly prestigious university and doing very well, or being basically a genius and master of productivity who can study all of that themselves, in which case they likely would have gotten a scholarship anyway so they should have went to school in an academic environment while studying

The Veeky Forums hate on CS is just retarded, you're all a bunch of fucking idiots lmfao, good luck ever matching my CS master race salary.

Wait until you graduate and find out that half your coworkers don't have CS degrees and the ones that do are looked down as the runts of the group.

Dude, stop projecting so hard.
Hopefully your coworkers will stop bullying you in the future so you stop shitposting in mongolian forums to cope

You're a fucking idiot, I've already graduated and have been working at a "Big 4" software company for 1.5 years now making $175k+ yearly and being promoted soon

Are you the exception or the rule?

The top software companies have tens of thousands of employees, each of which are making at least as much as I am since I am an entry level software engineer. So I am the rule when it comes to top companies. Note, this is only for people who are good at this, not people who didn't even bother going to university

A

As someone who intends to go the same path, would you advice taking honors courses in college or just the standard CS major?

Also, is a masters degree necessary for the position you work?

Many thanks.
user.

Hello user,

I don't know anything about your specific college or what honors courses are like, but I would suggest taking honors courses for sure. user school is an investment in the future. Forget about having too much fun, forget about watching TV or playing video games for the next 4 years. Work hard and it is an investment in your future which will make the remainder of your life easy - be lazy and it will make the remainder of your life less easy.

Every moment of work you don't put in during college will have to be made up for tenfold throughout the rest of your life. Money makes life easier, make no mistake.

So take the honors courses and get A's in all of them

I personally got A's and A+'s in almost all of my classes, though I did worse my first year because I didn't actually know how to study (high school was easy for me and I never had to study so I didn't learn how)

Take all honors courses, all of the best ones your school has to offer, and focus on algorithms and data structures + computer architecture focusing on low level optimization techniques

Take note of this last pargraph advice, it is 100% straight on point even if nobody else tells you it and even if you don't fully know what it means yet

Algorithms and data structures + computer architecture, that is your golden card to "making it" in the software industry, for sure user

I don't have a master's and it's not needed but it helps - it only gives you like a 10k-15k salary boost at my job though which desu isn't worth it almost. But I guess over the course of your lifetime it is. I should probably get one but the quick easy money of getting a job straight after bachelor's enticed me

>muh jobs
don't fall for it, the jobs are shit and if you don't pull through you'll end up being a code monkey, wasting 20 years, sanity and talent

>Pajeet isn't going to take my job if I'm autistic enough.

Thanks very much user. All the best for your future!

:)