Why were the Greeks so fucking great? What the is it about them that allowed them to become so amazing...

Why were the Greeks so fucking great? What the is it about them that allowed them to become so amazing? So fucking amazing that mankind(the part of mankind that matters: The West(Europe)) is still(granted it's a relatively small minority) jerking off to them in ecstatic orgasm after thousands of years? Sometimes I'm filled with incredible amount of life force from reading them or about them, and other times it's crushing depressive episodes where I realize I'll never witness them by my own eyes, witness everything from the simplest of social interactions to the greatest wonders of the ancient world, never be one of them. Can you imagine the festivals? The orators? The feasts? Modern Greeks(Gayreeks) are for the most part pathetic unironic Christians(Jewish), do they not know what they come from? How are they not ashamed? What is it that's stopping Europe today from pulling itself up to similar heights? Is it because everything has become too big, we're too many? Too complacent? Are we just doomed to painful mediocrity and the seemingly eternal meme of "science"? What's the point in """sciencing""" your way to other fucking planets when there's nothing there, everything will have to be built anew by the people sent there. What will be built? The disgusting glass buildings we all know and love from today, those pathetic excuses for architecture? Is that really the best? Or what about some sterile bleak bubble wrap looking beehive contraption? And who will populate these colonies? The same kind of bags of flesh who love the current mess of a society we live in? How long would it take for the colony to shit itself? What if we meet ayyliens? Will we show them our big go boom-boom rockets or will we show them the greatest works of mankind? Where is it all headed? What's that discussion called about how the current times are viewed as "non-historic" times or something akin to that? As if everything has stopped and now """everyone""" is """smart""" and """moral""" and """good""" and life is just about """"living life"""" and """traveling""" and ""fucking"" and """eating good food like pizza"""? I never signed up for this, I didn't ask for this, didn't ask for this life. What is there to do? I don't give a flying fuck about contributing to the eternal meme machine known as the """""""economy""""""". Why? Just to be able to symbolically ejaculate on other people's faces when I tell them I am """someone""" because of my position at work? What society is there to care for? A plane could crash on my street and I wouldn't even bother look out the window. I'd check the news to find that 146 people have lost their lives and that we should all stand together and mourn them and that we should do everything to make sure that something like this never happens again but more importantly I'd be annoyed with all the increased traffic and people.

I wish one of you could slap me in real life. Or choke me to death, whichever would seem more appropriate in the situation.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_Cycle
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What Greeks should I read? I've already read Homer and Plato. Also, don't post that gay "start with the greeks" chart

nice rant OP

What Greeks should I read? I've already read Homer and Plato. Also, don't post that gay "start with the greeks" chart

I don't know if you have heard about the Greeks, but you should probably start with them.

I know there's a really cool "start with the Greeks" chart that I am sure someone nice enough will post.

>write some gayass philosophy and unfunny plays
>fuck little boys
>build 1 good city and a score of shitholes
>lose every war
>sentence men to death for light banter
>your greatest writer likely didn't exist

just appreciating the fact that you spent time typing all that up and at no point were struck by the realization that maybe it wasn't worth it.

It's almost 3 am and there is most definitely something wrong with me so I rant on a Polynesian kite and windsurfing picture exchange instead of going to bed. Pleasant numericals, by the way.

Oh no it happened. And right after I posted it and saw it I realized it had become real, as if someone else had written it and started the thread.

Euripides and Sophocles are both great, and must reads.

-Archaics:
Homer Hesiod and Sappho.
-Early historians:
Herodotus and Thucydides
-Classics:
Aeschylus, Sophocles and Euripides.
Read about the presocratics, the most relevant ones are Tales, Heraclitus and Parmenides.
-Read about the sophists, Most relevant ones are Protagoras and Gorgias.
-Get into Plato's social context, read Isocrates and Aristophanes.
-Plato
-Aristotle

Then read whatever Greek author you want since you've read enough to understand most of it.

>be greek
>all i do is sit and play oblivion and eat kebab

ΣΟΥ ΓΑΜΩ ΤΟ ΣΠΙΤΙ ΡΕ ΑΡΧΙΔΙ

You might have fun with Herodotus; it's history plus kewl anthropological details and local legends and stuff, from all over the Greek world. Otherwise, get reading tragedies, nuccka. Aeschylus is the "first" but he's pretty hard, so I would start with Sophocles: Oedipus Rex, Oedipus at Colonus, Antigone*

*This is the chronological order in terms of the story of Oedipus and Thebes, but actually each one was 1/3 of three different trilogies by Sophocles. The other six plays are lost.

Tldr???

>The other six plays are lost.
It fucking kills me every time I read something like this.

Please tell: What could "Homer didn't exist" possibly mean if we do have the Iliad and the Odyssey? I assume you agree the poems themselves exist. Calling Homer by another name would make no difference (some ancients even call him Maeonides). And you can't just
>muh oral tradition
because the main feature of an oral tradition is that it changes, each bard telling his own version of the story. All the ancients from the Greeks through the Romans, and even to today, agreed on the official text of Homer. Rhapsodes repeated his poetry down to the very line. So if it's one standard version that gets retold verbatim, it cannot be a product of the oral tradition.

Most likely hypothesis: Homer codified and stylized a bunch of stories that already existed, so he was sort of acting within the bardic tradition but was so brilliant that he effectively ended it; from then on everyone just wanted to hear Homer's version. It's also possible that there were two Homers, one for the Iliad and one for the Odyssey, with the Odyssean Homer studying the first one.

So please, if you still care to, explain how any of this adds up to Homer "not existing."

>pic unrelated, just something Homer would've enjoyed

The LEAST you can do is to properly learn Ancient Greek and then afterwards start memorizing the Iliad, and the Odyssey. Then once you've accomplished that, spend all your free time standing on the street telling them over and over again, regardless of whether there is a crowd or not. Do it for them.

Why would he enjoy some feminine looking faggots instead of a strong masculine Adonis-like man?

ΡΕ ΣΟΥ ΓΑΜΩ ΤΟ ΣΠΙΤΙ ΕΙΠΑ

Good, but you have to do it in real life not here.

Well now I'm going to kill you completely
80 Aeschylus plays have been lost
110 Sophocles plays have been lost
70 Euripides plays have been lost
Then there was en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_Cycle
Hundreds of ancient playwrights are completely unknown to us. Just those abovementioned three were hyperproductive, imagine how many thousands of plays we have lost. We know next to nothing about Roman tragedy, it is all gone (with the exception of some Seneca).

Please don't, why did you post this, I almost welled up, not even joking.

And now I have to go to bed. At least the tears will lube and soften up my pillow.

be sure to dream about the millions of other works lost, writers who may as well never existed

feel their ghosts brush against your face

>Why would he enjoy some feminine looking faggots instead of a strong masculine Adonis-like man?
kek
user doesn't know about pederasty
:dddddd

A random thought:
As I've recently started going to classical music concerts, I've also made peace with the passage of all things. Great music was playing in the hall, and I could hear it only once. Instead of crying about the fact that each tone will sooner or later decay, I started to listen and experience the beautiful music.

There's also this early modernist short story where the main character plays a piano piece and he realizes that the sound of his music will reverberate on a microscopic level forever, and that the light, the image of him playing right now will be on the Northern Star in 30 years.

wtf I'm gay now

if they're so great then why don't they exist nowadays?

checkmate Veeky Forums

Are there some good anthologies of ancient greek poetry? (Does there exist one with all the poems of the ancient? Not counting epos, obviously)

>There's also this early modernist short story where the main character plays a piano piece and he realizes that the sound of his
music will reverberate on a microscopic level forever, and that the light, the image of him playing right now will be on the Northern Star in 30 years.
Can you remenber the na me of this story

It's because they were white men unfettered by the Jews and women

this Source please

no refugees

Post it, I want to see it.

I have more if you want.

Σταμάτα να kάνεις σαν τυπιkός αυτιστιkός 4τσαννερ ρε βλάkα

Keep it coming sir.

give me some greek / roman books with exquisite detail on depraved shit
bonus points if philosophy is mixed in

What languages do you speak? The story is afaik available only in its original language, which a fairly obscure one.

bulgarian

You're supposed to remove kebab, and that doesn't mean remove it from the spit.

I have one edited by Willis Barnstone.

Just fucking post the title already.

Janko Leskovar - Misao na vječnost

>What's that discussion called about how the current times are viewed as "non-historic" times or something akin to that?
I'm not sure what discussion you're talking about but this is a thought I recently had and found it interesting it now appeared in your post (possible synchronicity?).

From my own point of view, our times have indeed become isolated from others, in there being a sort of schism after the industrial revolution that caused man to be seen as more of a number rather than an individual. Automation has made the use of mens' hands unnecessary to a large degree, making them further disconnected from nature and reality.
Combine that with the new internet age we live in, which has further divided us from reality, we are almost living in simulation at this point. Our entire lives are now being spent in front of screens rather than people and natural light. If you wish to disconnect from this, you can but you will be isolated from all others who are increasingly plugging in.

As far as why the greeks flourished in arts, I cant answer that because I don't know and never studied into that. But yes, our 'meme culture' is one of the most hedonistic and you will most likely continue to see an increase in mental health issues as it continues. More people are waking up however and it is possible to meet like-minded people who come away from it.

Overall I try to spend time outdoors and reading. Praying is also a great way to become back in-tune with life and is very healthy.

Lastly, just wanted to say I enjoyed your post.

>Why were the Greeks so fucking great? What the is it about them that allowed them to become so amazing?
Unlimited access to freshest most wonderfully tender boipucci of course.

I have one but its ancient Chinese poetry

>From my own point of view, our times have indeed become isolated from others, in there being a sort of schism after the industrial revolution that caused man to be seen as more of a number rather than an individual.
This wasn't what I was thinking of. What I was thinking of was this idea that we live in a time where history isn't "made" any more. People seems to think that "we" are past the cruelty and simplicity and the wondrous things of the past and are now living some kind of eternally satisfying and gratifying safe happy world where all you have to do is """""live life""""". Like "we" are too clever for any of the shit that's happened in the past, nothing like it can ever happen again, good or bad.

>More people are waking up however and it is possible to meet like-minded people who come away from it.
Sometimes I feel like there is a possibility that things will change for the better, a major shift in a country's consciousness. But on the other hand everyone seems so fucking content or even happy with the way things are right now, how? It truly makes ones brain get eaten by an eagle over and over again. I remember thinking when Greece's bailout referendum was going on that it might have been the start of something for Greece, but it wasn't, they just ended up getting some more money to throw down the denbt hole and accepting a worse plan than the one proposed to the referendum. Maybe when the time comes where there is no more help from the EU things will change.

>Praying is also a great way to become back in-tune with life and is very healthy.
Doing what, exactly?

>Lastly, just wanted to say I enjoyed your post.
Likewise, thanks for the serious reply.

What do you do for a living?

It's because we have very little of what remains of the bronze age civilizations. We have some knowledge from the Egyptians, some from the Sumerians and Babylonians, but that's it.

The Egyptians used metres.

its good, now if you could just use the premade recommendations like everyone else we could move on to another topic instead of wasting our preciohs free time spoonfeeding newfags

Read Francis Fukuyama's article "The End of History." Also later expanded into a book

"The end of history will be a very sad time. The struggle for recognition, the willingness to risk one's life for a purely abstract goal, the worldwide ideological struggle that called forth daring, courage, imagination, and idealism, will be replaced by economic calculation, the endless solving of technical problems, environmental concerns, and the satisfaction of sophisticated consumer demands. In the post-historical period there will be neither art nor philosophy, just the perpetual caretaking of the museum of human history. I can feel in myself, and see in others around me, a powerful nostalgia for the time when history existed. Such nostalgia, in fact, will continue to fuel competition and conflict even in the post-historical world for some time to come. Even though I recognize its inevitability, I have the most ambivalent feelings for the civilization that has been created in Europe since 1945, with its north Atlantic and Asian offshoots. Perhaps this very prospect of centuries of boredom at the end of history will serve to get history started once again."

This is exactly what I was thinking of. What's the name of the book?

The end of history
until some mad cunt flies a plane into a building.

That's not history, it's a meme, "9/11".

The End of History, it was written in the post senpai

Are Pope's translations better though? I'm half way into Fagles' Iliad and now you drop this chart on me? WHY?

Thought that was the article. Thanks.

>implying history isn't a meme

Humanity is great, but you are being blinded by a complex of memes. You won't be the last, either.

I just hope you get your head on straight.

>I just hope you get your head on straight.
I think the meme is:
>"sort yourself out, venerate your father, Christianity is a good thing"

Καλα του λεει

OP you're a giant fucking faggot who spergs out on ancient stories
I am sure you don't even lift
Me and my ancestors are the kind who'd fuck the girl you're in love with but are too much of a pussy to even talk to.

ΣΟΥ ΓΑΜΑΩ ΤΟ ΣΠΙΤΙ ΡΕ ΒΑΡΒΑΡΕ

>Me and my ancestors are the kind who'd fuck the girl you're in love with but are too much of a pussy to even talk to.
>Me
What you're doing is about the same as