Hi Veeky Forums, why arent you investing in Bitcoin and trying to make money?

Hi Veeky Forums, why arent you investing in Bitcoin and trying to make money?

I trust you guys more than Veeky Forums so give it to me straight, is there any developed skill involved in crypto or is it all luck based?

Other urls found in this thread:

money.cnn.com/2017/12/08/investing/bitcoin-tulip-mania-bubbles-burst/index.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because I don't care about money.

There's a skill in investing, but it's mostly luck based.

Many people are, if not it's due to fear it will collapse- which, it very well could. It's a miracle that it hasn't.

Irrelevancy aside, I'd love to coopt this thread and ask the general question- any quantitative finance people here? I'd love to pick the brain of a quant, as it seems like a legitimately mind-boggling study.

Not investing because I don't want to be left holding the bag.
money.cnn.com/2017/12/08/investing/bitcoin-tulip-mania-bubbles-burst/index.html

Does Bitcoin produce anything of value? Does it turn out toasters or lightbulbs?
If not, it's a zero-sum game.
(Actually, negative-sum because you have to pay for the electricity to "mine" it.)

Now, Blockchain is a good idea. It will probably turn out to be quite useful.

i did in 2011. cashed out. im poor and have been in situations where i needed all my money at once. 2012 my father died. 2014 moved to another country. 2015 family home foreclosed. i told all my friends that had money to get in on it. tulip mania they called it. now i am writing up my doctoral dissertation and praying i can pull some other things off. getting rich in ways where ive made a contribution; attempting at least

Not Veeky Forums related.

>cnn

fuck that problem

[math]u= \sqrt{(1+x^2)}[/math]

Your welcome.

Two reasons:
>Mad volatility
>It's sketchy af.

you're mom is sketchy af but that doesn't stop me from riding her

Difference between my mom and bitcoin is that I can get protection when riding my mom.

Ah man, I miss Calculus, that stuff was so much fun.

>Ah man, I miss Calculus, that stuff was so much fun.

>Does Bitcoin produce anything of value?
Yes. Remittances, bypassing capital controls, avoiding unstable currencies, buying drugs, gambling, etc.

Fkin nerd, the only enjoyable part was when we took a test and I got a high grade and made my folks happy.

>is there any developed skill involved in crypto

You require an understanding of how math and money works, how exchanges and fees work, how to read charts. But most importantly the skill you need is understanding the psychology of other traders. This is where experienced traders have advantage. They know what other traders are thinking, because at one time in their vast experience they've been in that other trader's shoes. Knowing how the market is "feeling" and knowing how to exploit is is how you trade stocks/cryptos. There's also a LOT of luck involved.

Alternatively, you could avoid all that jazz, and just make some very long term investments and never worry about short term zero sum gains.

Bitcoin is a long term investment. It's a hedge against conventional government controlled economy.

Long term viability is why it's historically recovered and surpassed every crash. In the short term tho, like by the end of this day or next week, it could take a big dive, or rocket past $20k. I'm not experienced enough to hazard a prediction, and most people who are wouldn't freely share what their "gut instinct" is telling them because short term gains are zero sum. Helping you would hurt them.

Short term doesn't matter assuming that you have correct portfolio allocation. Bitcoin is still very young.

The difference between youre mom and bitcoin is that she is fucking worthless

Once it reaches some critical value, bitcoin is going to be regulated to shit until you'll have to buy shit with it on the internet and sell that shit for fiat money to be able to "cash in" if you live in any western economy.

It's simply too much of a threat to centralized economies to be allowed to exist in any meaningful capacity.

Also people are treating it as a commodity and not a currency. If you truly believe in the idea of blockchain as a currency, shouldn't you invest in litecoin or something with a lower transaction fee?

Treating a currency with no intrinsic, material value like a commodity is setting it up for failure. The idea of bitcoin as "digital gold" is complete and utter nonsense for this reason since gold has actual material value.

To regulate bitcoin is to regulate the internet. Regulating internet is hugely unpopular in democratic states.

People give up their privacy if scared enough. Remember the Patriot act in America after 9/11?

Pay attention to what happens with North Korea in the next year. I promise you this will be very relevant.

Veeky Forums here, it's literally FREE money and basically

your fucking stupid

>people are retarded evidence this post

nice ad hominem, user.

Kek, I tried but after buying high and selling low a couple of times I had to wait a bit to break even and then I got out.

It's a weird thing where when I was in I just wanted to get my money and run and now that I'm out I'm itching to get back in.

But at this point I don't know if there are going to be good entry points until the big red candle pops. And in any case I'm nervous as hell to go in before it does.

>People do stupid things when they're scared
>DUH GOVMUNTS GUNNA USE NORTH KOREA AS A BOOGYMAN TO TAK UHWAY DA INTERNETS

They just let bitcoin into the options market. That means Bitcoin can now be bet against via puts/calls. Plus it's not backed by any financial institution.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Russians are somehow behind this.

it's probably going to drop to ~10k within the end of the year and that would be a good entry point

or it'll rocket past 20k buy the end of the week, idk it's pure insanity, all I know is that if you started at the beginning of the year you're rich, hell even if you started in june you could be completely braindead like me and have made triple your money

Bitcoin is THE money, not a venture, you dipshit.

>To regulate bitcoin is to regulate the internet

The anti-net neutrality thing (that's being voted on Thursday!!!) would give ISPs the power to shutdown or control Bitcoin.

We'll see who's right.

There's a lot of bitcoin mining done in Russia and destabilizing the United State's geopolitical situation in the east is in Russia's best interest.

Put two and two together, user.

Or ride the waves made by evil people for your own monetary gain. Whatever.

HOW CAN MICKEY MOUSE EVEN BE WORTH ANYTHING, IT'S NOT EVEN ANYTHING CONCRETE, ONLY AN IDEA?! DOES MICKEY MOUSE WORK AT THE FACTORY, DOES HE PERSONALLY PRODUCE ANYTHING?!?!

Yeah, my biggest mistake was trying to hold alts. And I constantly felt like I got in too late. Although seeing normie reactions still being so uninformed and so suspicious towards bitcoin makes me think there may still be room for growth. But I don't wanna be the final BTC bagholder so I'll stay out for now, alts are also gonna get fucked when BTC crashes anyway.

In fact you didn't even need to start in June, I made my first crypto investment (100 into BTC) in late September and it's worth 430 now, so over quadrupled the money by just letting it sit there.

Mickey Mouse was a meme.
So you're basically saying bitcoin is a meme.
So you're basically saying smart people should invest in a meme.

Go back to Veeky Forums

>gold has actual material value
Air is a better space waster than gold though.

>Plus it's not backed by jews
That's the best part really.

The "actual value" of gold is far lower than it's price though. Same could be said for bitcoin

So where's the difference?

Investing is a sure bet,
Speculating is based on luck

And anti-net neutrality is popular? lol. ISP's aren't going to stop bitcoins though, since it doesn't clog up the network and increases the general internet use (profitable for them).

Gold is not a currency or a concept. It's a finite element that can't simply be "mined" from thin air. In fact gold is used in the very components that "mine" bitcoin.

Rocks are finite too, doesn't make them valuable. What makes gold valuable? The fact that people think it's valuable. Does this remind you of something?

No, gold is valuable because it's difficult to oxidize and because it's useful in electronic components.