Give me one example where a C doesn't just sound exactly like either an S or a K

Give me one example where a C doesn't just sound exactly like either an S or a K

more like dropping new MIXTAPE SOON AW YEAH

>he calls his fanbase 'fraserheads'

>ch

And they say the world is unjust
wait

Most examples are that, if you're not a big tone deaf baby.

wow not one C in this picture

cease

computer

Komputer

I'll admit ch is a unique combination

Sease

>Sease
that's seize ?

cease is more like a 'ts'

Cease = Sea-ss (or more accurate siːs)

Seize = sea-zz (or more accurate siːz)

Dolce.

My example is sweet, but your a faggot and will whine it's not English so...

Cello.

Cello is a commonly used word in english, where the c is pronounced 'chuh'.

holy shit

ok

aficionado

afisionado

The only unique (or at least distinctly so) example of a c is the 'ch' sound

boipucci

it's more like afishiando
But it's not really english anyway

Glacial
Efficient

Both can be replicated with an S

Are you people even saying these out loud?

>Efficient can be replicated with an s

more like sh desu

I don't know how they don't get it, honestly. Lit just lost a little bit of my respect.

The point is you can replicate the sound without a c

The only way to get enlish speakers to say C is to CZ

Are you?

Who the fuck pronounces 'glacial' 'glay-see-uhl'? 'Efficient' 'effi-see-uhnt'???

WASP cunt.

>exactly like either an S or a K

Or TS(Z)

cat

Is it?

>Give me one example where a C doesn't just sound exactly like either an S or a K

The 'c' in 'glacial', 'efficient', nor 'special' sound exactly like a 'k' or an 's'.

Yes, glacial is pronounced 'glay-si-uhl' and efficient IS pronounced 'ef-ish-uhnt'

I don't really care about your 'other' pronunciations

The c in both of those words can be replaced with an S. You may need to add an h in some cases to get it exactly(see: efficient), but the point is that it sounds incredibly close to either S or K in every case where it doesn't form a 'ch' sound.

Chthonic

That's just 'ch'

>czech

Fancy attempt, but try actually saying it out loud

>the moment we learn user has been saying 'kuh-thonic'

>glacial is pronounced 'glay-si-uhl'
It's more of a "glay-shh-uhl"

Czar

Maybe in some kind of American drawl

Are you telling me the 'Ts' in 'Tsar' (or the 'Cz' in 'Czar') is pronounced with a C sound?

Please educate me, because it sounds a lot like a 'tsa' or a 'za'.

afiksionado

You can replace the 'ci' with a 'si'
You can replace the 'c' with a 'sh'

I'm very open to you showing me how the C in these words are pronounced differently, but I have more trust in dictionaries than Veeky Forums at the moment.

No, I was giving an example of a C that doesn't sound like an S or a K

What the fuk did you just fuking say about me, you little bitkh? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my klass in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous sekret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 konfirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forses. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuk out with presision the likes of whikh has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fuking words. You think you kan get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fuker. As we speak I am kontakting my sekret network of spies akross the USA and your IP is being trased right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetik little thing you kall your life. You’re fuking dead, kid. I kan be anywhere, anytime, and I kan kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed kombat, but I have aksess to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Korps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the fase of the kontinent, you little shit. If only you kould have known what unholy retribution your little “klever” komment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fuking tongue. But you kouldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the prise, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fuking dead, kiddo.

yes it is an unambiguous c sound

>deleting your post
embarrassing

Oh right, sorry. So in these cases it can be replaced with a Z instead.

Please show me one(1) source where the pronunciation uses a 'C' sound

wut

He's just having some fun user, loosen up

Such a challenge. Also check em.

oooOOOUUuuu

Cao Cao

prince

Kek

That's because C, S and K are letters not sounds. Paired with specific other letters in English they generate certain sounds. In other languages they are used differently.

Learn the International Phonetic Alphabet.

Give me one example where an S or a K don't just sound exactly like a C

3,000 years ago, Phoenician’s alphabet had “G” as the third letter. “C” wasn’t around yet. The Greeks copied their alphabet and brought it to Italy. The Etruscans there had no “G” sound, apparently. Their nearest sound to it was “K”. (So they didn’t need Greek’s third letter “G” [gamma]). They had “K” and “Q”. Sources show that the Etruscans kept gamma in third place in the alphabet but used it to represent the sound “k”. The shape of the letter went through changes, and the Etruscans stopped using the Greek name gamma and went to something similar to “kay”. They might have said the spelling was “C-E” (long e sound).

Romans, Latin speakers, probably didn’t like the Etruscan alphabet with three letters making a “K” sound and none for “G”. They made their own letter for “G” and used “C” more often than “K”. Still “C” only represented the “K” sound. (It’s interesting to note, according the book mentioned above, that Caesar was pronounced like “Kye-sar”.)

When did “C” start borrowing from “S”? In later Roman times. Everyday Latin speakers began to slur the Latin “C” before “I,e” and “Y” (vowels where the tongue is pushed forward) and making it sound like “ch”. This sound became part of languages such as French and Spanish etc. (languages arising from the dying Latin).

“C” in the Middle Ages sounded like “K” and “ch”. Italian’s soft “C” is “ch”. As for the other Romance languages, the sound disintegrated to “s”.

Remember reading about the Norman invasion of England in 1066? Those Normans brought their Medieval French there, and it mixed with Old English eventually melding into an interesting Middle English. So, most of our words with the soft “C” sound came from that Norman French. Our newer words like “cybernetics” follow those old rules.

>two watches
He'll be fine

Any language that isn't completely retarded (ie, not english)

Nise dubc

>Our newer words like “cybernetics” follow those old rules.

kybernetiks

Such an egregious instance of moving the goal posts.

"cuck" has two, lads

Katowice
Krzyszkiewicz
Cangjie

If everyone ITT spent four minutes reading up on the International Phonetic Alphabet, this thread could have been avoided.

Cappuccino

>tfw a fraserhead

autism?

In English, C does not have a unique phoneme. Neither do Q or X. Can we
>/thread
now?

The ch sound can be made by an X

English is a bastard language so it doesn't really matter.

Child
Chloe
Chide
Retard

Yes. This is very silly question. Phonology is an interesting subject but it has to be approached with more specificity than "does this letter always sound like this other letter?".

Batch (clearly not an s sound)
Bach (the c is a W, the h is a K)
Brick (the c is silent, the k is a K)

ezpz

ricc thicc blacc nicca

You make an X sound and a CH sound with opposite sides of your mouth and the result is completely different for each one.

Think before you post bitx.

Bach - bah-k the c is an h not a w.
Brick - "brikk" would be pronounced the same way

Or alternatively you say the C is silent and change the pronunciation of A, either way situations where the C is silent or makes a CH sound are exceptions to the rule.

Anything Italian in origin: Cello, Concerto, Crescendo

Chart

My favorite language is C.

In Czech c is pronounced as "tse".

Except if you're Chinese

>Bach - bah-k the c is an h not a w.
>Bach (the c is a W, the h is a K)

>People pronouncing Bach wit a K sound