Is sleep paralysis just our minds trying to wrestle itself out of the simulation machine?

Seriously Veeky Forums sleep paralysis seems way too weird to be completely scientifically explained.

Other urls found in this thread:

snopes.com/religion/soulweight.asp
youtube.com/watch?v=wI8XgJ3JebE&ab_channel=serginho4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

When you're sleeping you don't want to attract attention -- like a dire wolf or a sabretooth.

Fair point but what about snorers and stuff like that? Also how does sleep routine influence REM and thus induce sleep paralysis? Its all so strange to me

Snoring unrelated. Flap of skin in the airway.
can be fixed with surgery. No effect on sleep (except that the blockage is often associated with sleep apnea, and the shortness-of-breath reflex sometimes wakes you up, fully or partially.)

I know that people dreaming about watching a tennis match flick their eyeballs back and forth beneath closed lids. I'd guess (and it is ONLY a guess) the paralysis prevents you from acting out dream-events. Again, a matter of avoiding harm.

It can be scientifically observed.

Sleep paralysis is the mechanical component of an out of body experience.

Yeah my theory is that its a way to prevent yourself from acting out dream-events, that one is plausible.
How do you explain out of body experiences, scientifically?

I don't have to explain out-of-body experiences.
When do they occur? Dying people commonly report seeing a light -- or they're floating in the air above the operating table watching the doctors try to save them.
So, someone experimented. They mounted shelves above eye-level in the operating room and left books open, face up, so they could only be seen from an elevated viewpoint.
If the patient recovers and tells of floating up there, they ask about the books. SFAIK, no one has ever been able to read anything.
That suggests out-of-body is a hallucination. Along with the heavenly light, it's a mark of a brain in deep trouble and flailing.

Note: I'm and and
, but not

I don't think sleep paralysis is particularly weird. It's just a dream about being paralyzed in your bed.

>Yeah my theory is that its a way to prevent yourself from acting out dream-events
This. Considering that when you fail to enter a state of sleep paralysis and DO act out dream events, you're sleep walking. My uncle is a vet and has nightmares that cause him to kick and punch in his sleep, consequently my aunt and uncle sleep in separate beds.

>They mounted shelves above eye-level in the operating room and left books open, face up, so they could only be seen from an elevated viewpoint.
>If the patient recovers and tells of floating up there, they ask about the books. SFAIK, no one has ever been able to read anything.

I don't think NDE's are paranormal but to be fair, that's a pretty crappy experimental model.

If I was floating above my corpse having just died on the operating table, I seriously doubt my first thought would be to drift over to the bookshelf and have a quick reading session.

why is that pic so spooky? gives me shivers for some reason-

I think the people (at least the ones whom weren't rushed into the ER by the police) were told about the books beforehand and were cooperative. And the ones who've reported OBEs usually don't say they were rushed. They had plenty of time to check things out.

Be that as it may, it's the only evidence so far -- and it's negative.
Always open to better suggestions.
Only other attempt I know of to prove/disprove part of us is "non-physical" (that's what out-of-body means, isn't it?) is snopes.com/religion/soulweight.asp

Yep, it's that people don't fall out of the bed.
youtube.com/watch?v=wI8XgJ3JebE&ab_channel=serginho4

The only thing that wonders me is that many people report of a shadowy hat man.
I've seen him too. No idea what to make of it.
I wasn't even paralyzed.

It feels real.

It's as if the usual filter which lets you unquestioningly accept all the bizarre shit that happens in dreams is absent.

It can be extremely disquieting, even if you recognize what is happening.

t. haver of sleep paralysis

Note: im but not nor but possibly or

No. it's just a gitch in the brain like mild epilepsy. Fuck off.

fucking kek

It's very clearly just a sleeping disorder. People who are prone to it are prone to other problems related to sleep.

Bump, I want to weigh on this

While I don't think sleep paralysis is in any way paranormal or supernatural in nature, it is certainly an odd phenomenon compared to our normal waking and dreaming experience. I believe it is a doorway to not so well-known regions of the human mind, and more research should be devoted to it.
Like said, it feels very real. Sometimes it's like your perception is amped up to the max. You can clearly 'see' the room around you in spite of having your eyes closed (or your face being covered by sheets, as it once happened to me.)
It's also particularly interesting how people almost always tend to see the same types of "entities": tall shadowy beings, old hags, goblins, alien-like beings, hairy beasts, etc. (I myself saw a typical goblin with slanted eyes, prominent cheeks and long, pointy ears smiling devilishly by my bedside)

Just namefag already you cryptic cunt.

Are you stupid? It's a dark imposing figure with a frightening face. No shit it's spooky. Do you need everything explained to you? Do you wonder why your legs hurt after running for a few hours? Do you wonder why you get hungry after not eating for a day? Holy shit the brainlets on this board trigger me.

There's a part of your brain that controls whether or not to allow you to access voluntary muscle movement. It disallows it when you fall asleep (although sometimes it fucks up on the way into a dream and doesn't kick in quickly enough and you jerk suddenly awake, always done directly connected to some movement you thought you were making in your half-dreaming state) and allows it again when you wake up. Just like when going into it, it sometimes fucks up when coming out of it and doesn't allow you to move even though you've awoken. If you don't know what's going on this kind of paralysis is pretty frightening, and this is commonly believed where the incubus and succubus demons sitting on your chest thing comes from.

Who cares? This is an anonymous site.