Speaking of Spinoza he [Nietzsche] says: "How much of personal timidity and vulnerability does this masquerade of a...

>Speaking of Spinoza he [Nietzsche] says: "How much of personal timidity and vulnerability does this masquerade of a sickly recluse betray!" Exactly the same may be said of him, with the less reluctance since he has not hesitated to say it of Spinoza. It is obvious that in his day-dreams he is a warrior, not a professor; all the men he admires were military. His opinion of women, like every man's, is an objectification of his own emotion towards them, which is obviously one of fear. "[Thou goest to woman?] Forget not thy whip"—but nine women out of ten would get the whip away from him, and he knew it, so he kept away from women, and soothed his wounded vanity with unkind remarks.

>It does not occur to Nietzsche as possible that a man should genuinely feel universal love, obviously because he himself feels almost universal hatred and fear, which he would fain disguise as lordly indifference. His "noble" man—who is himself in day-dreams—is a being wholly devoid of sympathy, ruthless, cunning, cruel, concerned only with his own power. King Lear, on the verge of madness, says: "I will do such things—What they are yet I know not—but they shall be The terror of the earth." This is Nietzsche's philosophy in a nutshell.

Why did people continue to take him so seriously after Russell BTFO him so hard?

Because Russell is only taken seriously by babbies who are in their first foray into philosophy.

Russell is the perfect example of why Anglo-Saxons should be kept as far away as possible from philosophy.

>philosopher is a deeply flawed character trying to come to terms with fickle human nature
>Russel: haha lol this guy was a douchebag and hypocrite he was a sad loser listen to my autistic pseudo-logic instead
every time

Buttmad contie detected.

Analytics rule the day.

>unironically quoting autistic anglo screeching on any philosophical topic whatsoever
just don't. england has given us 1.5 good philosophers in Locke and Hobbes. everything should be completely disregarded.

If this is a legitimate critique of Nietzsche, I guess it'd be just a legitimate a critique of Russell to call him a literal cuck.

Bentham.

i've never read russell because he seems irrelevant but someone had to say that about nietzsche
although nietzsche did himself serve in the army

Well it takes one to know one.

It is actually

-Bentham,
-J.S. Mill,
-Francis Bacon,
-Ockham,
-Russel
-Smith and Hume (if you count Scotland as anglo screeching too)

>but nine women out of ten would get the whip away from him, and he knew it, so he kept away from women, and soothed his wounded vanity with unkind remarks.
DUDE A WOMAN CAN BEAT YOU UP SO YOUR PHILOSOPHY IS INVALID LMAO

based bertie bringing the beats

All near completely worthless derivative trash, save for Bentham. So yeah in the end its 2 whole philosophers as in Locke with Hobbes and Bentham being a half each. Also:
>england
>if you count scotland

>talk about anglo screeching
>exclude parts of the anglosphere

Also Mill, Russel, Bacon are all shit? Try some better bait next time

The very fact that you think Russell is worth any consideration at all tells us you either haven't read any of the authors mentioned at all or are indeed severely mentally challenged. Either way you and your fat pink friend can fuck off.

So, Nietzsche is not wrong, but he's just "nerdy"? Maybe not up to how great he thought of himself?
Is that it? Why didn't he just call him a faggot?

For a guy who cares so much about arguments and rigorous logic so much, Russell spends a lot of time psychoanalyzing authors

>defending anglo philosophy
>doesn't even mention the most important anglo philosopher

These philistines don't even know their own history

yikes my dudes, I don't get why Russell bothers everyone on here so much with this shit. all he's doing in that quote is just what Nietzsche did to everyone else. is it a conclusive argument? obviously not. is it motivated at least partially by Russell's personal distaste for Nietsczhe? obviously. does he have a point? fuck yeah, and all that means is that you should be a little more suspicious about Nietsczhe's motivations. since that should come naturally to anyone who appreciates his work, I don't see what all the twisted panties are about.

Eat shit.

Veeky Forums - Nietzsche Internet Defense Force

It's pretty obvious that Russell didn't even do a complete surface-level reading of Nietzsche

>all he's doing in that quote is just what Nietzsche did to everyone else

That's wrong though.

Nietzsche himself explains that when he seems to attack people personally (Rousseau/Spencer/etc), he is not attacking them personally, but rather the strain of thought they represent.

Russell just goes for pure ad hominem.

Hahahaha are you fucking serious

>Bentham
>Mill
HOLY FUCKING SHIT KILL YOURSELF

They are not a philosophical race—the English: Bacon represents an ATTACK on the philosophical spirit generally, Hobbes, Hume, and Locke, an abasement, and a depreciation of the idea of a "philosopher" for more than a century. It was AGAINST Hume that Kant uprose and raised himself; it was Locke of whom Schelling RIGHTLY said, "JE MEPRISE LOCKE"; in the struggle against the English mechanical stultification of the world, Hegel and Schopenhauer (along with Goethe) were of one accord; the two hostile brother-geniuses in philosophy, who pushed in different directions towards the opposite poles of German thought, and thereby wronged each other as only brothers will do.—What is lacking in England, and has always been lacking, that half-actor and rhetorician knew well enough, the absurd muddle-head, Carlyle, who sought to conceal under passionate grimaces what he knew about himself: namely, what was LACKING in Carlyle—real POWER of intellect, real DEPTH of intellectual perception, in short, philosophy. It is characteristic of such an unphilosophical race to hold on firmly to Christianity—they NEED its discipline for "moralizing" and humanizing. The Englishman, more gloomy, sensual, headstrong, and brutal than the German—is for that very reason, as the baser of the two, also the most pious: he has all the MORE NEED of Christianity. To finer nostrils, this English Christianity itself has still a characteristic English taint of spleen and alcoholic excess, for which, owing to good reasons, it is used as an antidote—the finer poison to neutralize the coarser: a finer form of poisoning is in fact a step in advance with coarse-mannered people, a step towards spiritualization. The English coarseness and rustic demureness is still most satisfactorily disguised by Christian pantomime, and by praying and psalm-singing (or, more correctly, it is thereby explained and differently expressed); and for the herd of drunkards and rakes who formerly learned moral grunting under the influence of Methodism (and more recently as the "Salvation Army"), a penitential fit may really be the relatively highest manifestation of "humanity" to which they can be elevated: so much may reasonably be admitted. That, however, which offends even in the humanest Englishman is his lack of music, to speak figuratively (and also literally): he has neither rhythm nor dance in the movements of his soul and body; indeed, not even the desire for rhythm and dance, for "music." Listen to him speaking; look at the most beautiful Englishwoman WALKING—in no country on earth are there more beautiful doves and swans; finally, listen to them singing! But I ask too much...

Based Freddie with his music half-metaphors.

How vicariously did he live through Wagner?

> look at the most beautiful Englishwoman WALKING

>This is Nietzsche's philosophy in a nutshell.
lol, the telltale sign of simplified, ignorant, position

yes and no. I mean, it's not any sort of deep criticism when he calls George Elliot a cow, for instance. but lots of times he is going after ideas instead of people, for sure. that's basically what I see Russell doing: just like Fred questioned Spinoza to get at Stoicism, Russell is questioning Fred to get at the will to power etc.