How the FUCK do I come to peace with the time we live in?

Think of all the great periods in history, the art, the literary works

And now we are stuck with youtube philosophers baiting matierial for subscribers and middlebrow Tv shows like true detective and mad men?

Nothing good will come from this period

Look at Pynchon, a genius, he attempted to write about the now and it was a tragic failure

I am forced into basically either
A) wageslave cuck
B) homelessness
C) cliche fuck the establishment degenerate

Fucking help me

Other urls found in this thread:

plato.stanford.edu/entries/stoicism/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You man up and stop this stupid whining.

but that was always the 3 options. Those are respectively
A) Epictetus
B) Diogenes
C) Socrates

I know this its cliché but it takes time for the cream to rise at the top. Our role in the present is to find the jewel worth preserving for the future, among the rough. This is how its always been.

This is why I contemplate ending it all daily op

>tragic failure
I want pseuds to leave

>Nothing good will come from this period
Until I publish my novel...

>I am forced into basically either
>A) wageslave cuck
>B) homelessness
>C) cliche fuck the establishment degenerate
I pick B), you pussy.

You have access to the collective knowledge of the entirety of human civilization on a piece of glass and plastic that fits into your pocket, and you're whining about it?

It has never been easier to communicate with people and never been easier to travel. If your life is boring and unstimulating, that's entirely your fault.

At least in the modern era we have a much greater chance of making what we desire of our lives, if we have the fortitude and ability.

Had you been born even 100 years ago, statistically speaking you would almost certainly have lived a life of illiterate, back-breaking labor only to die at an early age. Fuck it, if you hadn't lucked out and been born in a decent country, there's still a solid chance that that would have happened to you.

On a historical scale, you are so absurdly, unbelievably lucky that it's almost laughable that you have as much potential as you do. Have some fucking gratitude instead of whining about it, then man the fuck up and make use of the opportunities modern Western society provides.

Just because there's huge amount of mediocre at best media doesn't mean the small margin of academic tier knowledge will be gone.

>It has never been easier to communicate with people and never been easier to travel.
The quintessential normie redditor, the problem with "people" today. Go fucking hang yourself.

why not b and c, you're a degenerate both ways

kys
/thread and its not even about the post

Actually read about the art produced in past centuries, you'll realise it's not that great

Nope, take your angry "fuck anyone who isn't a fat depressed neckbeard" BS back to r9k.

>"Nope"
>"BS"
>that picture
It's so fucking painfully obvious, how are you not ashamed of what you are?

>Veeky Forums
fix'd

Read Adorno

>posts Peterson picture
>tries to invalidate another's suffering and experience

Sort yourself out

Think of all the great periods in history, the art, the literary works

And now we are stuck with tavern bards singing dirty, vulgar songs to the drunks and literally fucking clowns in every piazza of this Empire?

Nothing good will come from this period

Look at Miltom, a genius, he attempted to write about the now and it was a tragic failure

I am forced into basically either
A) serfdom
B) Militar service
C) a life of crime

Fucking help me

>How the FUCK do I come to peace with the time we live in?

You have three options:

1) The Christ option, accept your condition of suffering, by accepting you will find peace.

2) The Marx option, revolt and try to bring some change.

3) The samurai option, just kys.

I would go for 1 or 3 tbqh. Good luck, OP.

>lucked out and been born in a decent country
*le accident of birth* is the WORST meme

i could not be other than who i am

not true, you could be a nigger lover if you tried reaaaaaaaaal hard

>everything was always better before
they all thought the same when they were alive

you should go for 3

I fucking hate pseuds so goddamn much.
If it's as bad as you think (it is actually less shitty than it was in the past) go do something about it. I you only see those 3 options for life, you are an average pleb, as lower class unintelligent fucktard as one can be. WW3 can't come soon enough for you fucks to die out.
In fact any of these historical people you worship would gladly cut their dick off to have the same opportunities as you, there is just so much to do and it's easier than ever. You are the problem.

Edgy

hahahahahahahaha i cant even imagine being this dumb

only the most vulgar sensete would enjoy this era

please develop for brainlet

Good art is still here. It just doesn't get mass published because corporate Jews have finally influenced our culture to easily pleased, easily predictable cows. To find anything that isn't streamlined you have to go deep underground. Not fake "underground" either.

>hahahahaha

You seem to be enjoying it quite a bit

>born in le wrong generation

Not even him but you and the others itt sounds like #borninthewrongera plebbit perception to me. It is definetely a decadent time, doesn't mean that nobody can emerge from it though

if a great man existed he would enjoy this era, because he's great and thus his life is worth living no matter where he lives it

stop proclaiming your weakness as a strenght
stop feeling resentment

>It's so fucking painfully obvious, how are you not ashamed of what you are?

What do I have to be ashamed of? I've been posting on Veeky Forums for over a decade - the fact that I don't hate life doesn't counteract that.

>invalidate another's suffering and experience

Ahah. Wow. Ok. And I'm the one accused of being a fucking redditor? Jesus.

nah

Not even ironic, please tell me some actual good contemporary books

The industrial revolution and it's consequences have been a disaster for mankind

This is the greatest era in human history to be a white person in the West. The knowledge is endless. The pleasure is endless. Only anhedonic brainlets who cover up their failures as a human being through virtue signaling disagree.

It has had disastrous consequences - that's not the same as saying it was a universal disaster.

Can you say with a straight face that you'd honestly prefer to live as a 17th century peasant, or even townsman, than as a modern, first world citizen?

Because if you can, I have an easy solution for you - work for a year or two, save up some money, buy a plot of land, build a cabin, grow your own crops, tend a herd of animals from which you can harvest and voila - you're now a 17th century farmer (except with the option of copping out and returning to society whenever the going gets tough, instead of dying of starvation or cold or thirst or an easily curable disease).

You know why you won't do that? Because it would fucking suck, that's why. All this "boo fucking hoo life was so much better before everything I like was invented" crap is just an excuse to not do anything interesting with your life. You convince yourself life outside your bedroom sucks so you don't have to go to the effort of leaving.

The fact that you're sitting on an online imageboard whining about the effects of industrialization is so far beyond ironic it's absurd.

Try to effect change, or blow your brains out. I don't really care what you do, as you seem pretty weak-minded.

get a job

At least farmers that time thought their work served some higher function and not just perpetuating the meme that is the economy. Hesiod in "Works and Days" connected the toils of farming with the human condition and set it in context of the larger cosmos. Virgil's "Eclogues" wrote about how farming was a metaphor for the conflict between man's desire to control the natural world and the violent nature of nature. Everything is so surface-level nowadays. Our sense of a transcendence is gone and all were left with is nihilism.

Also, you can still be critical of your own historical situation and still partake in it. You cannot escape history.

>At least farmers that time thought their work served some higher function and not just perpetuating the meme that is the economy.
Maybe the landowners of large farms which only accounted for a tiny percent of the farming population. Do you really think a women would go "it's time to fuck my back and send myself to an early grave to pick up some fucking leftovers from the ground that is a result of someone doing other backbreaking work just so we can get enough money to be able to destroy my body again" would find a lot of meaning in 3what they did? The vast majority of farmers died young, developed terrible physical problems, were poor, and illiterate, had no education, never traveled more than a few miles from their place of work unless ferrying their goods. And do you know why they did all this? The reason they destroyed their bodies was to setup a meme economy that benefits an elite far more than themselves.

>Everything is so surface-level nowadays.
You can't take the writings of two great writers and expect their writings to somehow represent the way the majority of people actually believed.
Have you ever actually met any modern day farmers. I've known a lot going from small time wage earner sheep shearers, to small independent farmers, to moderately large farmers with many employees. Those sentiments of Virgil and Hesiod are not present in any of those that I meet. There is something nice about being more obviously connected to how you earn your money, and there is something nice about a job that involves exercise but it's hardly exclusive to farming, that many jobs in the biggest cities in the world also do that, and that those benefits are not in themselves enough for the majority of people to partake in them to greatly enjoy them.

Said every human at every point in history at least once in their lives.

Seems like an important question then.

No, just shut up and work you dumb ape.

Struggle breeds greatness.

The comforts we have today only diminish our ability to experience struggle.

wow, holy shit did you come up with that on your own
you should become like a philosopher man

Properly directed struggle breeds greatness. The lack of education diminished older peoples ability to make their struggle work towards anything. There is also nothing to stop people today from engaging with struggle, but there were things stopping people from other times to learn.

You don't.

But most people on Earth are living in poverty, and in the West, where life is usually comfortable, new generations are igetting increasingly smarter, academic and productive.
I mean, is there any parameter under which you could say that our contemporary man is inferior to the man that lived 300 years ago?

Don't read this, it summons satan

You clearly like history, so read it.

stop posting now thanks

>Christianity
I hope that one great day this awful meme will be put in the ground with Islam and Judaism.

no :^)

No, you've missed the point. Every single person who has ever lived (unless they have Down's syndrome or some other serious mental defect) has, at some point, whined about all the great shit that happened in the past and how the present is intellectually degenerate or decadent and "nothing good will come from it." This is babbie's first reactionary philosophy.

It's an absolutely trite and unimportant question.

Epictetus was incredible. I recommend Discourses and the Enchiridion to everyone.

>It's an absolutely trite and unimportant question.
What is not?

>Epictetus

It's a great manual for how to sleep well at night or how to ignore the fact that you're alive.
I don't get how anyone can take the stoics serioulsy after Nietzsche.

The one you just asked, for example. It would be necessary to any future discussion we would have, but the intercourse will stop here, since you're obviously a brainlet.

>tfw when even Nietzsche's criticism and repudiation of Stoicism fell flat

You can't even give me one(1)? And I'm the brainlet?

How tight is your mother's butthole?

Never seen or felt it so I don't know.

Not an argument. Be specific.

I could reply with the same picture but I'm too lazy.

jusst ignore shieeet lol br oxdddd

>asks what questions aren't meaningless
>asks

This is your last chance to understand my point.

You are asking questions necessary to a discussion. These questions are not trite because they aim at a specific answer. The question "how the FUCK do I come to peace with the time we live in" is a meaningless one because each person is going to answer it differently: it isn't aimed at a specific purpose, it's thrown into the ether in the hope that some unknown response will jog some kind of inexplicable reaction. It's as worthless a question as all "philosophical" questions (in the sense that the word is commonly understood). It's a language puzzle to which the only acceptable answer is "there is no answer."

So, in this context, a meaningful question would be: why are you such a dullard?

Sorry man. Stoicism tells me that it is virtuous to make the best use of my time. Veeky Forums arguments will do the world no good.

The fuck do you mean read "about" you faggot?

I was hoping it was bait for your benefit. All you have done is shown that you don't understand the first thing about stoicism. Let me guess you read something like Epictetus or Aurelius without knowing what virtue ethics is or without having read modern scholarship on stoicism or without knowing any Greek. plato.stanford.edu/entries/stoicism/
You didn't even have to do much reading to get a basic understanding of it either.

>it tells me
>doing the world good
Platitudes.

Are you really this stupid that you can't understand what I've been posting? Why are you talking about OP now? Is it because I'm right and you don't want to look stupid?

I'll try again, this is your last chance to understand my point. Or else I will downvote you into oblivion, my little reddifriend.

What is not an absolutely trite and unimportant question?

if anybody criticizes my childish ideology, then theyre just dumb and havent read nuffin!

Your post-modern worldview is not an answer.

>Stoicism tells me
>can't think for himself

You're living like a dog, user.

I'm not an expert about the stoics but I've read quite a few important works. Thanks for the link by the way.

>All you have done is shown that you don't understand the first thing about stoicism.

All I have done is to quote Nietzsches view about the Stoics. Are you saying that he didn't know what he was talking about?

It would be nice if you could give some examples why you think Nietzsches
observation that most people are denying their lifes is wrong instead of claiming that I don't know shit about pathos, ethos and logos.

>answers
*shits out platitudes*

>repeats himself in the face of his own comprehension lacuna and the absence of an original, coherent thought
Confirmed brainlet

>he doesn't take the guidance of men far wiser and more experienced
Stay mediocre, user.

>stoics
>wise
>experienced
You're the only mediocre one here

So that's the way scholars of the stoic are speaking? That makes me sad.

*stoa

>mad men
>middlebrow

honestly OP just kill yourself now and do us the favour.

>Emperor of Rome
>Roman Senator
>Leader of a renowned school of philosophy
>Not experienced and wise

If they were so wise why did it fall apart?
CHECKMATE /thread

No, he's not.
Stop brown-nosing you little Letzter Mensch.

>not realizing Rome was ruined by its overly gracious pension system, hundreds of years after Aurelius.

nigga are you telling me people like wagner and nietzsche and edison and einstein and bill gates and English law and all that shit is just going to be forgotten?

This civilization has accomplished incomprehensible amounts, it's just that we've advanced so quickly that the decadence was given a path to encroach faster and faster than ever before

rest assured that when this shit collapses future peoples will marvel at space travel and early-stage quantum computing

sure, things suck now but that's what wealth does to societies

enjoy the endless hedonism or be the madman who dares to rail against it

The Answer to Everything

Off work already, Sean?

>A) wageslave cuck

Making 14 bucks an hour to goof off online for 8 hours a day is hardly slavery.

Brainlet here, can you expand on reactive love vs proactive love

Slavery can take any objective appearance when the servitude is mental.

you do realize that 14 dollars an hour is literally the new minimum wage, right

Somebody doesn't understand Christianity.

Where I live it's still 7.25, and I make a good deal more than that, it was just an example of the sort of "wage slave" job someone with a BA is likely to find themselves in.

It's not servitude, it's a mutually beneficial exchange of "labor" (not much) for money that either side can terminate at any time.

With the implicit assumption that, for one side, termination of that "mutually beneficial exchange" leads to starvation and death. It's only "mutual benefit" in the sense that the labor realizes that he or she "has to do something." Also, the fact that they don't own their labor is more or less the definition of servitude. But I expect you'll repeat again what you've said already because you're a shill for what you think "capitalism" is.

You forget that not only are they paying for labor, but also for your time. If you value the finite time you have on this earth at $14 an hour then that is great news for an employer.

Reactive love: medical science.

Proactive love: ending pain and the body.

You are living better than an old king my friend.

Nothing bad will come from this period

>I am forced into

Who is forcing you to adhere to that self prescribed limitations.

>wageslave cuck

Biz or invest you fucking cuck

>homelessness

Oh how you don't have a home. Go to a damn shelter or some cheap hostel you fucking lazy fuck.

>cliche fuck the establishment degenerate

How is this even an option? I would have put a great writer or something

So, no more taking the dog to the vet, right?