Is Pride and Prejudice recommendable?

Today I was in my local bookstore and saw Pride and Prejudice in the foreig-language section. I was a little delighted by it since there are usually shitty books, but the title of this one caught my interest. But it seems to me it is more of a romance than actually the thematization of, well, pride and prejudice.

Does this book actually informative or is it just women's entertainment?

>it is more of a romance

It's really not. It's a great book

>is it just women's entertainment?
Kill you'are'selve

>It's really not. It's a great book
Elaborate.

>Kill you'are'selve
Hey, I can ask, don't I? I mean, I've read little while I was there and it immediately starts about a married couple and it emphasized it a touch too much, for my taste.

pwease gois i needa answer
am about to red thru current bok so needa new educalzone materialu

It's a good book about Victorian social relationships.

It might be tough if English is not your first language, and there is a lot of meandering, but it is a very charming little book if you ever get around to reading it. I actually found myself laughing audibly a few times while reading.

Yes, I think charming captures the essence of this book perfectly.
It's not deep, nor is it thought-provoking; unless of course, you can abstract distant themes hidden within the text and construct substance from nothing; which may or may not be a purposeful exercise. Basically, it flows well and will entertain you should you have nothing else to read.

I was looking for for something with car chases and manly shit like rape and farting

Then read Pinecone my man

>It might be tough if English is not your first language
Well, I'd say I'm fluent in English but not 100 % native level. I had no problem reading books like The Godfather, Rum Punch, Starship Troopers and American Psycho. I tried Tristram Shandy once, but oh my fucking god is it hard to grasp: the stream of consciousness and the old vocabulary made it more of a hassle than enjoyment.

>It's not deep, nor is it thought-provoking
Okay, that's all I needed to know, basically. When I read, then it has always the purpose to inform and educate myself of idealistic and philosophical viewpoints, and not to be entertained in order to past time. Damn, and I thought I could finally add a book of a female author in my collection - and the cover looked nice too.

Regency. Victoria wasn't even born.

0/10

>implying everyone needs to consume books like you

>reading a book written by a woman

K E K
E E
K E K

Try Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It really narwhaled my bacon.

>talk to woman about literature
>she went to the bookstore and bought some Jane Austen (of course)
>"why does she explain so much??"
>"i don't get it they just hold hands at the end xd"

ex-gf told me to read it while we were together, it was a cute book. 9/10 would reccommend. english was a bit difficult at first but i got the hang of it eventually.

Jane Austen is a satirist

She has great bantz tübjörnest

>When I read, then it has always the purpose to inform and educate myself of idealistic and philosophical viewpoints, and not to be entertained in order to past time.
Cool, well the-
>I had no problem reading books like The Godfather, Rum Punch, Starship Troopers and American Psycho.

And what's your issue with that?

If Starship Troopers is informative and educational, how is P+P not?

In case you missed my thread: I didn't read Pride and Prejudice.

Of course Starship Troopers is educational. Heinlein managed to change my view on the necessity of a military through this novel, and in general the necessity and readiness for violence, which was also very interesting for me as a pacifist.

How can you be so superficial and discredit - especially Heinlein - this book just by face value?

You have to appreciate linguistic register and novelistic discourse such as displayed by the opening lines of P&P, I don't have it with me but it goes something like it's a truth universally acknowledged that every man in possession of a good fortune must be in search of a wife. In effect, this is a gradual shift in register going from a formal, philosophical- or judicial-like to an informal and finally to a totally gossipy one, and to appreciate this is to appreciate something akin to what Bakhtin said of heteroglossia and polyphony, but basically it's what has been known for a long time in literature as part of the wider notion 'style'.
Reading Austen should never be about the plot but about the little slippages not only in register but the thereby entailed shifts in perspective which characterise her novels. Personally I always found it a bit weird that Veeky Forums is often unable to appreciate Austen, her characters are basically autists as socially awkward and tied up as in those nippon slice of life animes that it's hilarious.

It's literally an old fashioned 50 shades of Grey

>Womyn: I am a STRONG WOMYN with a quirky personality I need a fantastic man
>Man: hello, I am a billionaire
>Womyn: sorry, I need a man with more than just millions of dollars, because I am quirky and stuff
>man: I also have am amazing personality and I am quirky too
>MARRIED HAPPILY EVER AFTER
>FIN

>Mr. Darcy
>"I also have am amazing personality and I am quirky too"
>Mr. Darcy
>amazing personality
>quirky

By Victorian standards, yes, going swimming in a pond and being broody yet sensitive fits those categories.

>implying the pond scene is in the novel

it was written by a woman so don't read it unless you care about how female characters feel about opening their legs for men

It's all blurred into a faggot woman fantasy montage, desu.

No worries user, Darcy's nips will do that to a man

I mean, I loved it when I was 12 and still believed in romance. Then I actually realised that Mr Darcys didn't exist.

It's cute and easy to read (if you're learning a foreign language) and nice. It's a great insight into female thinking to be honest, and a good satire of Regency society.

>Go to Veeky Forums to discuss literature and philosophy
>See another 4chin thread where the mere mention of woman rustles anons jimmies

Classic

Is Emma worth reading?

Well, I couldn't stand the character, but I guess it's okay.

My favourite is Sense and Sensibility.

Emma is worth reading but it's still my least favorite Austen novel.

If you've read Pride and Prejudice already, I'd recommend Mansfield Park and Nothanger Abbey over the others.

I used to like Pride and Prejudice till I realised that men were not like Mr Darcy, and that they were more like Wickham. Basically my belief in romance was fanned by Austen and doused at about age 15.

>hates public events
>hates people
>can't talk to strangers
>spergs out every time he is around the girl he likes
>considers himself better than everyone
Is Mr. Darcy /ourguy/?

Without a doubt. He's even a NEET, is he not?

Well if Mr Darcy is like us, you better talk to She seems pretty jaded about men.

Bump

I'm better than him though

>idealistic and philosophical
>The Godfather, Rum Punch, Starship Troopers and American Psycho
How can someone not have an issue with that.

>her characters are basically autists as socially awkward and tied up as in those nippon slice of life animes that it's hilarious.
This could be interesting. But other replies suggest that it really is a romance, or a de-romantization as some shared.

Mr. Darcy is who we like to pretend we are

Mr. Collins is the true /ourguy/