Tfw you walk out of an exam and immediately realize a mistake you made on one of the problems

>tfw you walk out of an exam and immediately realize a mistake you made on one of the problems

dont remind me

>the mistake is so damn silly and minor.

This

>theory is perfect
>mess up the algebra on the last step
>multiple choice test where your error is an option

WHY

>revise exam
>everything is fine
>revise exam again
>everything is still fine
>give it to exam monitor
>immediately realize mistake
Why?

Alternate version:
>finish exam way early
>revise exam many times
>realize mistake once

This was me yesterday. Except I realized mistake like 3 hours after

This is why I make it a policy to never leave an exam room until:
1. I checked my work on each problem many times over
2. Time is called

I don't take leaving early lightly.

cont:
>scribble out your answer
>run out of time trying to redo the problem
fuuuckk

>tfw you walk out of an exam, nervous about one difficult problem, yet confident about three easier problems you had no trouble with whatsoever
>get the results for said exam
>Aced the difficult problem, fucked up the ones you thought were easy

>take exam
>it's really easy
>hand it in
>can't stop thinking it just seemed easy because I did everything wrong

>be me, two hours ago
>taking phys II final
>20 questions, need 7 right to get a b in the class
>actually tried for the first 9; guessed for the rest
>after the test, felt iffy on three of the 9

halp

Also, big campus wide power outage going on right now. Lmao

the worst one for me is
>realizing you messed up once you get into bed at night

this happened to me 3-4 times so far, it pretty much guarantees I won't be getting much sleep

>do all the work for the problem
>get the right answer
>forget to circle/bubble in the answer
I have never wanted to end myself more when reviewing a test

>get the idea completely correct
>start actually working out the problem
>fuck up one algebraic thing and the entire answer is skewed
>get less than half credit
fuck you

>finish the exam 20 minutes before anyone else turns in theirs

>accidentally wrote 4/4 not 4/2

Preparing for a zero

>guessed for the rest
>7 for a >>>b

>Changed degrees to radiance on calculator for first question.
>Never changed it back.
>Only noticed 2 hours after the exam.

>entire test is easy
>maybe too easy
>go back and think you found errors because incredibly paranoid
>you were right the first time

>Design a bridge
>Strength and static equations all correct
>Algebra error
>Millions dead

WHY CAN'T I KEEP MY JOB

>using Cross method to calculate tensions in a structure
>mistake a rigid node for a free rotation node
>bye bye 5 out of 10 points
I deserved that and if I was the teacher I would have done the same but it still hurts

> To obtain, something of equal value must be lost

Why can't normies understand that this is law of progress.

>Dont even need 50% to get a B (!!!) ON A FUCKING EXAM

What is this joke

Not comparable, you have a no-stress environment and plenty of free time to double check work at your job.

Then be thankful to your professor for giving a challenging exam that held your attention even after it ended. Work for the knowledge and not the grade.

>Work for the knowledge and not the grade
>t. 2.0 GPA unemployed """""pure""""" math major

>all bridges are designed in two hours

To make you mindful of that apparently easy and common error

Doesn't even have to be an exam.
I'm under no pressure here on Veeky Forums.
No one knows who I am.
Write a comment, read it through carefully, hit "post".
Comment appears for everyone to see -- including "staring you in the face" misspelling/typo.

When I'm writing an important technical paper though I'll never send it until at least the next day and I've had a chance to sleep on it. Second thoughts always seem to occur.

>make simple mistake on exam
>completely fucks up your derivations
>realize an hour after you submit

I suppose my point is that one is better served by learning how to solve problems even if the first answer is incorrect and the problem is finally solved several hours later than one is by receiving a good mark.

I agree

I used to be a graduate teaching assistant. Part of job was grading exams; me and 3 others. Professor didn't give us answer sheets. We had to solve problems ourselves. Only took a few minutes because we knew the material cold. Point was to go through the logic, understand the technique, see where a student might go wrong.
Undergrads were strongly urged to write calculations on back of paper. We gave partial credit if we could see they understood the subject matter, even if there was an arithmetic mistake and the final number was wrong. Sometimes student would get steps 1-4 right, realize result in 5 was ridiculous, and write "I know I did something wrong here but not sure what and no time left". They might get 80 or 90 percent of full credit.

The ones who tried to BS us ("that doesn't look right. I'll just change this plus to a minus to force it into the right range") were the ones who got nothing because they had no idea what they were doing and were just proceeding by rote.

This.

Too much students worry about the grade. Solve the problem. It’s fun and supposed to be hard. Show your work so your thinking is clear. Didn’t the class teach you some new approaches?

No
It's not comparable because many people will be checking your work including peoples whose job it is to find errors like this. It's not stress free and unlimited time the company you work for will be commissioned by the government to design and build a If a bridge failure causes millions to die it would be the largest bridge ever

>sizeof(STRUCT.variable)
woops, what the fuck was I thinking.

isnt that similar to common core thinking? Not directly, but it seems to be correlating

This is your own damn fault if you can't tell that your answers are wildly off

i love cum

>get the idea correct
>get ostracized by peer group
>never spend time in academic environment
>spend five years in PhD program that never offers GR of QFT class
>have like a dozen big discoveries in a row
>always ignore arithmetic, focus on idea
>disprove Riemann hypothesis 10/10 first shot
>OP loner genius meme
>write book
>start to review first month of QM I class
>everything is just how you said it was
>people who don't understand math try to grade the book like it's a homework problem
>like they're my teacher

had a calc II teacher who had multiple choice questions that included answers as if you fucked up degrees/radians

his reasoning was that "these mistakes are important in the real world, so they're important on this exam"

>don't study very long
>do poorly because i don't fully understand the material

not getting the idea of this post

HATE when this happens

>study too much
>nothing you study for is on the exam

>walk out of exam
>on the problem with relativity I said v/c = gamma instead of beta

I'M A FUCKING BRAINLET

Happened in my E&M class. Everyone was looking at our test grades and acting like we were all gonna flunk out and then he said:

>75-100 is an A
>50-75 is a B
>25-50 is a C

>It's not stress free
speak for yourself. engineering is ez money.

Such is life of the brainlet

what the fuck

>work really hard on every exam so you don't have to try that hard on the final
Whatever gets the As

True. If you're not going into a field because it interests you and you want to learn, you're going into the wrong field.

Saw a query here on Veeky Forums a day or two ago. "What field of mathematics should I go into so companies will pay me a starting salary of $300K to crunch numbers?"
That was really pathetic.
He didn't have any interest in anything except the $$$$. He clearly had no idea what mathematicians do. Hint: It's not arithmetic. And he didn't know that "rich mathematician" is practically an oxymoron.
Sad!

>tell myself before i take the exam that i will review the work for my answers before i turn in the exam
>after ~2 hours of hell and i get an answer for the last problem, i turn my exam in and leave it in god's hands

Unlike the other posters who replied to you, I will give you the true answer.

The reason multiple choices do this is because brainlets will never be able to get to that point where they even know what the right answer looks like.

Honestly if you see two answers on a multiple choice test that are obviously a positive/negative sign in difference you should review the work you did carefully.

>Bridge collapses
>Millions dead

How large is this bridge.

I bet 10 bucks OP just finished his exam quickly so he can get fuck outta there.
>Leaving early on an exam
Only a brainlet would do that, just fucking chill in the meantime pretending to read some problem.

One of the main reasons i don't study.

I've had a class where the grading scale was number correct *5 on exams with 25 questions, additionally + a flat 25 points, all before scores were curved up at the end of the semester.

>got a 100/100 on a paper I wrote about cobalt reserves that I slapped together in an afternoon

uh, ok I guess

On my calc final freshman year I missed a problem because I forgot the quadratic formula existed. Like I had to find the solution of this wacky quadratic equation and I was trying to factor it and all this shit and literally walking down the hall did I remember what I was taught in 10th stupid grade.
Funny in retrospect

That happened to me a lot. It was usually more than one. Even today, I make a lot of embarressigly bad errors.

>walk out of exam
>realise you made a mistake
>100% exam anyway