Do you like to drink when you're reading serious literature...

Do you like to drink when you're reading serious literature, or do you feel like you take too much of a cognitive hit by doing so?

I think mild/moderate drinking can be useful in making the mind a bit more limber and allowing for easier connections to be made between disparate ideas/topics, but beyond that, things just get incoherent.

The minute I crack open any sort of alcohol, I'm shitposting and not reading.

>drinking anything other than water or coffee while reading

>forgetting tea

I'm usually a better reader and writer (as well as lover and pool player) in the 2-7 drink range. After that, they all just get sloppy and tiresome.

That's the set, op. Love the feel and readability of old dutton\dents.

>barbancourt

Good taste, lad.

I like to drink during every activity to be honest.

Tea is a drink for plebs and Arabs.

When the fuck have Arabs ever drunken tea? During the British colonial era?

Nice M1911A1 there, OP. As for drinking and reading, normally I don't drink and read unless I take a book with me to the pub and it's quiet night with nobody to really talk to. When I drink though, usually I'm at home rather than at a pub, and when I drink at home usually I just watch movies, Youtube vids, listen to music, or something like that.

Also, rum, fuck yeah.

Am I the only one who read high every day?

this lol

weed definitely enhanced my appreciation of short, simple poetry like housman, but i never could focus on anything longer. toward the end of the habit it got to the point that i couldn't even focus on a song or short video.

Did you stop smoking? I'm 19 and I've been smoking daily for a couple of years. I kind of feel number even the days I don't smoke. Does this pass if I stop for a long time? Will I always feel as if I may have lost something on my daily cognition (information per second or whatever intelligence is, I don't mind as much about memory)

I'm drinking right now because my cockatiel died.

You probably have since you've been smoking since when you were still developing.

If you count North-Africans then a lot.

It's called withdrawls. When your brain finally adjusts to functioning with no weed, you'll be fine.

Weed is fine but what would compel a person, other than serious addiction and/or earlier trauma, to smoke every day for years is beyond me.

>Weed is fine but what would compel a person, other than serious addiction and/or earlier trauma, to smoke every day for years is beyond me.
Because it's like weed dude, man.
It's the same shit that compels people to binge on alcohol every weekend.

Dat BaBaKoo muh nigga.....

This was me for a while; it passed after like a week tops from quitting

You might lose a couple IQ points when all is said and done, but if you quit smoking for a month or two you'll stop being a literal retard.

I thought it a great idea to toke up and read Gravity's Rainbow once, and only once.

Why do Americans always sneak a gun into their pictures?

It depends on when I'm reading. If it's my usual bedtime reading then no. If I have a day off, or no commitments after work, I'll pour a scotch to sip while I read, if I'm staying at home. More often then not though, if I have the enough time to actually sit down and read, I head to the local used bookstore/coffee shop.

I've got a flask of Jameson in my bag that occasionally gets added to the coffee while I'm there.

With spring here I'll start spending more time reading on my porch, and I'll definitely drink more scotch and maybe smoke a few cigars while I read. It's one of those great simple pleasures and why I live outside of town. I'll just sip, smoke, read, and chill while listening to the birds. (and the occasional small plane. I live on the backside of a university owned airport)

I do feel that a small amount of scotch puts me in a reading state of mind, but I don't know how much of that is association and how much is the chemical effect. My granddad used to sip scotch and read, and I took it up because the man was a god amongst men, and if it was good for him, it seemed like the thing to do.

I don't tend to read if I'm imbibing any other alcohols. If I'm having beer, it's because I'm spending time with people, and anything else is a consequence of partying.

Arabs love tea, you can't go a day without drinking some tea in Syria.

>decline and fall
>serious literature

nice meme

>David Hume had said that The Wealth of Nations required too much thought to be as popular as Edward Gibbon's The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire

No. From my experience you need a hot energising drink like tea or hot cocoa (or coffee if you prefer). The warmth calms my insides and if its black or green tea it sharpens the concentration. Alcohol fucks with everything, but maybe it's just me.

>1, 3, 2
This bothers me more than it should. Switch the second and third volumes around for fuck's sake.

I noticed that too but luckily it didn't bother me. I guess I don't have much OCD besides my necessity to have doors generally locked whenever possible, including my bedroom door.

>it's "popular" so it's bad

I do. Between us I even get high and read all day at work.

>that picture
>"serious literature"
>cognitive
>that entire second sentence

You're trying too hard.

I'm too poor for alcohol