When I was a kid I thought my mum was an amazing cook, and everybody used to praise her cooking so much...

When I was a kid I thought my mum was an amazing cook, and everybody used to praise her cooking so much, but now I'm older and know how to cook I realise that she's not a good cook at all
Everything she cooks is ridiculously oily, I visited recently and she made lasagna where the layers slid off each other and it sat in a puddle of orange grease. Anything she cooks almost slides off the plate

Anyone else had similar experiences with "good cooks" that ended up not being good?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TsTWFsEi0aE
youtube.com/watch?v=Bu90jsp6nkE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

As a golden rule everyone's mother cooks goods, no matter what.

fpbp

Your parents cooked for you? Consider yourself lucky, seriously

My mom hoards cookbooks but never makes anything out of them. It pisses me off.

I would love to have been able to cook for myself and get my foot into the door in being more independent and learning more recipes, but then again I grew up poor as fuck eating plain pasta and buttered noodles and my mum couldn't afford me to experiment, so don't be a condescending twat

If your mother served you cat food would she still be a good cook? That's fucking retarded

>this is the moment in the sitcom where everyone in the audience goes "aaawww"

Go play in traffic.

>t. People with bad childhoods

Not what he meant. He's referring to growing up on your moms cooking makes it tasty to you. I don't think my mom is a great cook but now that I'm an adult whenever I visit my parents my moms cooking has a particular quality I never used to appreciate, and it comes from growing up with it. It's the ultimate comfort food

This.
The point is that regardless of actual cooking skill people get nostalgic when thinking about their mom's cooking.

You'd have to be a pretty major sperg or have an unusually bad upbringing for this not to be the case.

>learned everything regarding cooking from my mom
>now living alone
>can approximate her flavor arbitrarily closely but can never reach it

Na my mums still a pretty good cook. There's certainly things I'm better at and some things I'm worse at. And some things we just do differently

For example I'm a big believer in seasoning generously and using butter instead of oil wherever it makes sense (not if things are Gona get too hot)

similar experience with me

me mum didn't cook often and when she did it was rather plain (she always boiled chicken for some reason, very tasteless and rubbery) but she made some one-in-a-blue moon great dishes, including her lasagna which I'm going to have to get her recipe some time. She also made a good shepherd's pie and her fried chicken was passable and the only time her chicken had flavor.

No one thought of her as a cook though, my dad cooked more often (taquitos mostly, or pure meat of some kind). Her worst dish was probably spaghetti which was overcooked noodles and lots of hamburger mixed up in a store-bought sauce. By contrast my dad make chili-spaghetti which had tons of beans and onions and stuff.

Still can't tell if either of them were any good as cooks, I just like different stuff now and cook lighter fare. If I'm feeling nostalgic though, I can eat and cook a lot of meat. We never had pork ribs, for example, and I think I make pork ribs way too often.

Your mum needs to cook the fat off the ground beef before adding it to the lasagna.

My mom was a great cook, and she still can be, but as she has gotten older the amount of meals with a full hearted effort have gone from like 5 a week to 2 a month. She's just lazy now, but I can't really blame her with the amount we eat.

Your homework is to determine which word in your post was used incorrectly.

>Missing home so I call
>Talking to mom for a while
>Soon as how she made her chicken
>Its sauce is made with homemade mole
>She tells me she doesn't know the measurements
>Doesn't know how to read measuring cups either
>mfw she made the most delicious chicken by eying everything

God bless you mom only when I was older did I realize the extent of your experiments.

She probably has dementia.

my mom was the worst cook, i hated it even growing up when it was all i knew
tofu loaf,
creamed peas on toast,
no meat ever,
special k loaf,
cottage cheese, canned pear, and lettuce salad
lentil stew (yeah i like it now but when you're a kid fuck no and i still don't like hers)
eggs fried over hard or boiled for twenty minutes were the only way i knew eggs were made
shit was nasty

I learned how to eye everything mum makes but then when I cook for myself I always have leftovers for days. Then I realized that she cooked for 4 people while I'm just cooking for 1.

I criticize my mom's cooking all the time. It made her a better cook actually.

OP here is the deal.
For some reason we tell women they are amazing no matter what the reality is.
As a man you are meant to play along or else you are a misogynist

The secret is not only persistence, but to taste your food every single time you make it. Once you nail your preferred taste through experimentation, you'll instinctively recreate it every time you cook. I don't measure my seasonings either, I just go by the above method and see what works.

All my moms meals came in a box

Say anything bad about mom's cooks again and you'll become shark food ass fuckers.

Everyone in the neighborhood came in your moms box

My mom is a girl...so she doesn't cook. It's a pretty typical trait in them.

My mom was an amazing cook, but this is honestly not true. I remember even as a kid when I used to eat over at friends, their mom didn't know how to cook anything besides fries and schnitzel.

you forget this is neo-Veeky Forums where everyone has to get as many Oppression Points 2.0 as possible

Thought of this when I saw OP's pic

>oil
youtube.com/watch?v=Bu90jsp6nkE

My mom's a good cook because my dad used to be a French chef so his standards were very high, I still think she's great but she only lacks the more technical aspect. She's good at imitating but she's not very technical, ie overcooks way too often, imperfect dosage/ratio etc. so it's always imperfect but still delicious nonetheless. Out of every mom food, she's one of the best.

The secret ingredient is love, user. Learn to love yourself while you cook; fresh semen makes all the difference.

fucking millenials

when i was a kid my mums cooking was shit and made me hate some of the best foods (tbone for example). now im a good cook because of it

>arbitrarily closely

you don't understand

Most people who aren't poor as fuck or have retards as parents have fond memories of their mom being a "good cook".

If you're white with a mom and dad, almost 100% you've heard this as a small child from one of your parents. "oooh yum! isn't mom/dad such a good cook?" because you're 2 or 3and your parents say this sentence hoping you'll eat the mashed peas. Or you're 5 and they cooked a spaghetti and they just want you to eat it because kids usually don't know how to form opinions on things sometimes.

And then as you get older, your parents probably cook pretty often and you eventually get acquainted with how she cooks. Doesn't use a lot of salt? You'll get used to thinking it tastes great while "good" cooks who can use salt correctly taste too salty. Same with how they season sweet things. If you grew up in the UK, Australia, or non America/Canada, you'll think everything in NA tastes too sweet. While Amerifats eating a loaf of bread from the UK will think it's missing "something".

So all of you just outed yourselves as poor or from a broken home/terrible family. Sorry your childhood fucking sucked.

Growing up, my mom never used salt, pepper, or any seasoning other than the shake and bake bags and whatever game in the boxes of whatever she bought. Lots of canned veggies or sauces made that way. Almost nothing made "from scratch". As a kid, I thought she was a good cook and other moms were just okay because they used too much (IE: a correct amount) seasoning and it made food taste "off". She's cooked for me now that I'm an adult and while I typically toss some salt or pepper in when she's not looking, it's not the best but it is nostalgic. But I couldn't eat her cooking very often, so I typically handle the cooking for big family get togethers.

He's a weeb, he's bound to be a retard.

>arbitrarily closely
How long until you fucks are back at school?