Why is the felt experience of consciousness not taken seriously by the scientific community...

Why is the felt experience of consciousness not taken seriously by the scientific community? And especially not psychedelic states of consciousness.

Consciousness is real and can be observed by any sentient being, just as much as atoms and rocks. It's the most important thing for us to understand since it is the first thing we can observe, we epistemologically cannot pierce the vale of consciousness to exert anything outside until we understand it.

Because there's next to nothing to experimentally prove or verify.
"what cannot be settled by experiment is not worth debating"

It is more in the realm of philosophy than of science, but there are certainly neuroscientists who do not agree with the likes of Dennet who think that a substantial self is an illusion.
Most people believe they are the same self-conscious entity that awakes every morning after going to sleep the night before.

because the very concepts "felt experience" and "consciousness" are unscientific.

Prove you're concious as opposed to autonomous.

We say we're concious by definition. There's no more else to say.

Why do you assume that what you're experiencing is consciousness?

Because that's what the word means. Whatever I'm experiencing is consciousness. What else is consciousness? Semantics my user

Once again an user confuses consciousness with an abstract concept to which we can compare our felt presence of immediate experience and determine whether there is a match. This is absurd. That which we experience is consciousness, by definition. Therefore consciousness exists. Whatever this is, is consciousness.

At this point im pretty sure you are a NEET schizo man

You always make threads with fucking retarded postulations about consciousness trying to sound deep and shit and its always gibberish

Fucking stop already man

If you are not the same dude just carry on, but im p sure you are

I mean no fucking shit consciousness iz real we fucking created the concept you absolute fucking faggot

Sorry I normally try to keep it down to one thread per month but this time I accidentally posted a new thread forgetting I had another one going.

I'm not a schizo I'm a completely normal member of society who just happens to have crippling social phobia and mild autism.

>You always make threads with fucking retarded postulations about consciousness trying to sound deep and shit and its always gibberish
Oh and it's not gibberish. I've written gibberish while high before and this is not that. Everything I'm saying is very well reasoned and clear if you understand the terminology.

Its a fucking retarded thread
Where did you get the impression that consciousness is not taken seriously?

You are a grade A++ autist stop shitting the fucking board

I already made the mistake of engaging in a discussion with you once, dont bother giving me (You)s

@9366365

Also as an actual real (you), you're factually incorrect. In this thread alone the majority of people responding say that consciousness either does not exist or is an unscientific topic.

No one in this thread yet has taken the position that consciousness doesnt exist. Everyone has reformulated "I think therefore I am" and then qualified it by saying there is no experiment yet devised that can be conducted ergo the prospect of debate is moot.

Non testable and non verifiable.

>there is no experiment yet devised that can be conducted
>So lets just not discuss how anyone might go about coming up with such an experiment in principal

Consciousness is an eye of the entire universe.

>Why is the felt experience of consciousness not taken seriously by the scientific community?

Because it suggests an entity (an object) in the universe which is beyond the scope of science (which relies on the existence of a disinterested non-object observer to design experiments).

I am not memeing and I intend to argue this to any non-believers.

Where are you finding these *AMAZING* Islamic architecture pictures OP?

They are amazing indeed, I found a site with some so I saved them all and have a folder now. Here are some more

Awesome, thanks. Here's some I've got. This is from the Blue Mosque in Isfahan.

Example from Kenneth Chritchlow's "Islamic Patterns"

Better than most architecture in the west that's for sure

Additional example as I think this is great for Veeky Forums.

I don't know much about architecture, but I appreciate a lot of it. I like classical Greek temples, Mies van der Roe's Barcelona Pavilion, and Buddhist stupas.

I can't say I have a favorite as to this or that "civilization", possibly owing in large part to my deep unfamiliarity with the subject.

muh subjective experience of consciousness

muh consciousness is subjective experience

It's a made up word, like love.

>a made up word
Think about that for a second user, and I think you'll realize why that was an arbitrary and meaningless thing to say.

>disinterested non-object observer
>to design experiments

In what way to humans qualify as this?

>Why is the felt experience of consciousness not taken seriously by the scientific community?
It is by psychology, the field of science that pertains to those experiences, and also in neuroscience, which is related.

>psychedelic states of consciousness.
What do you mean by "taken seriously"? If you mean why don't people believe your hallucinations are real, it's because all the drugs do is cause your brain, your tool for perceiving reality, to malfunction.

>consciousness is the first thing we can observe
Not true. To observe your consciousness is to observe yourself being conscious of something, ergo you have to be conscious of something external first. But this is a minor point.

>But this is a minor point.

No, it's a wrong point. Conscious phenomena can correlate with objects observed though sense perception, but there's no reason why what you are 'conscious of' necessarily has to be external, even though in humans such phenomena tend to be based on currently or previously encountered patterns that first arise through sense perception.

>Why is blah blah blah psychedelics blah blah consciousness yada yada scientific community
There is far more important, pressing science to research that will further benefit the advancement of humankind and the well-being of daily human life than the understanding of it.

consciousness doesn't exist

>Consciousness is real and can be observed by any sentient being, just as much as atoms and rocks.
That's not true. Ten different people can look at the same rock one person is holding. Ten different people can't look at the same alleged "consciousness" one person is reporting.
Now they could all look at the *report* of that alleged "consciousness" if it's written down (or hear the report if it's spoken).
And of course that's what you actually deal in terms of if you want to be "scientific" about it: reports / behavior.
You don't assume what the person reports has any literal reality to it, you just work with the actually observable behavior they're presenting (or their physiology e.g. a brain scan).