Why are people repulsed by each other's smell? I mean...

Why are people repulsed by each other's smell? I mean, the smell of someone who hasn't bathed in a few days becomes disgusting. The smell of someone's breath that hasn't brushed his teeth is repugnant. The smell of piss and shit is absolutely terrible.

Every other animal on the planet seems to be extremely interested in each other smell and pee and poo. Why are we so different? It doesn't make evolutionary sense.

Other urls found in this thread:

snpedia.com/index.php/Rs17822931
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>evolutionary sense

I've always enjoyed it when brainlets use that phrase

I like how you can't answer the question.

because it's indicative of poor hygiene and we're naturally inclined to stay away from things that are detrimental to our health

same reason we hate mold and are very wary about how fresh our food is

Translation for brainlets:
“Why are we repulsed by strong smells and animals aren’t. Do we have weaker immune systems? We live in larger groups so disease is deadlier? Etc”
Answers like: “bc disease is bad” don’t explain why dogs still eat shit like it’s a breakfast special.

it's simply a societal norm. How do you think the Indians live?

Smelly armpits were the norm until maybe 50 years ago, and in fact perfectly natural. It makes no sense that we are repulsed by the smell. Moldy food is something else entirely. Even the smell of an ovulating vagina, which should be the greatest smell in the world to a male, is actually kinda gross. Instead we prefer to smell like flowers, which we don't even eat. Why are we so fucking weird?

>having a physical reaction because of a societal norm
Uh, no sweetie. Well, some mentally ill people might, but everyone hates the body odor of someone who doesn't bathe.

because people are fucking pussies. They can't distinguish between 'Brain is not used to the smell reaction' and genuine 'this is rotten do not eat' smell. They smell something and find it stinking just because they smell it and they're not used it.

Are we the only species that dislikes our own natural scent?

Armpits and smelly pussies are actually nice

That makes no sense. There are plenty of things most people aren't used to smelling but would find pleasant.

Not to mention many things we find pleasant to smell are deadly if ingested.

Thank you for letting us know that you have ZERO knowledge of evolutionary process. Go read some books and quit wasting other people's time with babby-tier bullshit.

Thanks Dr. Scientist. Would you mind giving us unenlightened proles the short version of why this is?

because we're the only species smart enough to invent deodorant and perfumes

People quickly get desensitized to smells. When I was doing my mandatory military service and had to share the same small tent with 11 other sweaty guys for two weeks, the smell didn't bother me, or anyone else, at all after the first night. You barely even notice it.

>Why are people repulsed by each other's smell?

It makes sense for one to be vary of a foreign smell. It tells you that there's a stranger nearby and you don't know if it is a foe or not.

Brainwashed by Madison Avenue.
British (this was centuries ago) used to think washing was hazardous to your health and only bathed once a year. After awhile you don't notice your own stink or that of other people's. (People used to empty their chamberpots out the window onto the street. A little BO was nothing.)

Also, remember there was no refrigeration. Food spoiled quickly. Heavy salting was the only preservative. Spices were so valuable and people would sail around the world to obtain them because they disguised the rotten odors.

Wh*Te people are disgusting.

Fun fact: east asians do not have body odor because of a mutation that also gives them dry earwax.

snpedia.com/index.php/Rs17822931

hmm lets think, why do we wash our hands? why do we not shit all over ourselves and touch eachother? what reason do we have to wanting to avoid poo and pee

>societal norm
>Smelly armpits were the norm until maybe 50 years ago
More like 70 years ago (post-WW2) but you're on the right track.
Lrn2societal-norm "sweetie", you pompous bitch

I remember one time I was working and it was a real hot day and my job spends some time outside and my coworker was totally into my scent.

cuck detected

are u female or male and was your coworker female or male

Male with female coworker.

She read in Cosmopolitan that workout sweat was hot.