I picked up Ulysses earlier today and I'm about 40 pages in

I picked up Ulysses earlier today and I'm about 40 pages in.

Nothing about this screams "masterpiece". There are some truly sublime passages so far, but most of it seems like the autistic ramblings of someone trying too hard to be edgy.

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.frankdelaney.com/re-joyce/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>the autistic ramblings of someone trying too hard to be edgy
that's the whole point of the book
and the reason why this shit of a place loves it

thanks keep us posted

ok

kill yourself rambling piece of mad shit you dumb moron full of garbage you sparkling turd you worthless fag you fucking piece of retard

Of course it's autistic. It's stream of consciousness. That's like the fucking definition of autism.

It doesn't really come together until like 400 pages in

>It doesn't really come together until like 400 pages in
>it's a good book

Joyce isn't ever enjoyable to read, he's liked by people (and rightfully so, I think) that appreciate things outside the text more than the text itself

Go read Moby Dick

I mean you don't really see what Joyce is going for until at least halfway through
Most criticisms of the book come from people who haven't finished it
The first half is setting the scene and establishing the themes and the second half de constructs them
It's hard to finish it without being amazed

listen to blog.frankdelaney.com/re-joyce/

you haven't even met the protagonist yet OP

People saying it doesn't get going til 400 pages in are also plebs. If you cant appreciate the mastery in both the first two chapters as well you really are a pleb.

Come back to it when you're older buds.

I can appreciate the language and its poetic appeal. It seems, however, to be almost entirely devoid of pragmatic content.

only White American upper middle-class liberals think it's a masterpiece, shit's got like a 3.6 on goodreads

Finish the book before you talk.

You're lying. When I picked it up and was forty pages in I had no idea what I was reading.

Each chapter changes style. Maybe you'll find that "masterpiece" scream later on.

is Ulysses by James Joyce a good book? should i read it? do i need to train beforehand?

Did you guys know that Ulysses is the Roman equivalent of Odysseus?

Leopold is a cuck

Are you inbred?

Well if you don't know that then reading Ulysses is pointless

No he isn't. His wife had an affair but it's not like she got pregnant

You make me sad to be Anglo.