Why is nobody waking up to the fact that culture is dead?

Seriously, look around, it is generally accepted that the 2010's is the worst period of culture in the past 200 years, anyone who doubts this is either a normie or a brainlet.

Literature, film, art, music, photography, architecture and politics of the past 7 years is completely devoid of any worth whatsoever and even the works that ARE of any worth are diminished by the cultural surrounding, that is to say, they don't even *shine out* as a product of being unique, they instead serve to continue on the very infantilisation and diminishing of culture.

Why the fuck is this happening? Is it Capitalism? Is it a burnout of ideas? Is it civilisational collapse? Is the West finished? What's going on here?

Can anyone who has been watching films in the past 5 years seriously state that cinema ISN'T dead? Unironically?

Thomas Pynchon is a genius and his work is shit! How could this be?

Lay back and enjoy the ride down to WWIII, OP.

>evening in America
>the quality of Veeky Forums takes a hideous plunge and feelguys and pepes abound

Really makes me wonder.

Who seo we blame for this travesty?

It's past midnight in EU.

Indeed.

Is WWIII necessary to bring about the cultural rebirth?

And how could such a thing occur in a society of obese individuals?

What is this trying to suggest? That people of the past too had nostalgia for their youth and previous years?

That is NOT an argument. Yes, a man of the 19th century may wish to go back to the early years but he is STILL surrounded by Giants such as Nietzsche, Schopenhauer, Stirner, Marx etc. whereas today, there are NO Giants.

Your argument is moot, fuck off!

>it is generally accepted that the 2010's is the worst period of culture in the past 200 years,

By whom?

Are you going to deny that people in general don't think this, lol? Even normies that browse facebook all day think this

>expecting someone who uses weasel words to provide a source

>Are you going to deny that people in general don't think this, lol?

I mean you said it so I'm sure you can show me some essays and such that put the point forward. (Prager U doesn't count though).

You're a typical brainlet.

You want to argue as to whether people in general believe this or not when THIS IS NOT THE ISSUE. The issue at hand is whether culture has deteriorated and whether or not it can be fixed. All this requires is your personal opinion, the opinion of the general population will not suffice in any way or pertain to our discussion as we cannot go out and get their opinion on the matter in this thread.

Thus, your attempts to narrow the discussion into this factoid is a cunning tactic on your part to win a debate on he presumption that the debate is centred on whether or not people think x when x isn't even the question at hand!

In other words, get fucked, dork.

>my personal experience is the only evidence I need to make my sweeping statement fact
>said no scientist ever

Maybe culture is dead for you, faggot. Booktubers on Youtube are brought together by their shared love of YA, which you and I might think is shit, but to them it's a shared, cultural experience. There are similar, niche things everywhere, and it brings people together and they derive meaning from it. Look at Veeky Forums. Maybe you mean lowest common denominator mass culture has gotten worse and more manufactured? It's pointless to have the discussion, desu, because it'll inevitably turn into re-defining "culture" to fit your hypothesis that culture is dead which is born completely out of pessimism probably brought on by other things.

Brainlets calling other people brainlets. Lmfao.

>ignores the point made and continues to do the very thing the post attacked

You're a special kind of brainlet, aren't you?

You're a woman, aren't you?

>You want to argue as to whether people in general believe this or not when THIS IS NOT THE ISSUE. The issue at hand is whether culture has deteriorated
> All this requires is your personal opinion, the opinion of the general population will not suffice in any way or pertain to our discussion as we cannot go out and get their opinion on the matter in this thread.

But then why did you bring up the "common" opinion in the first place, and why are you unable to support your claims about "commonly" held opinions. It seems like you are fabricating those claims to give your argument unjustified support (perhaps because you are unable to support it orherwise?)

>The issue at hand is whether culture has deteriorated and whether or not it can be fixed.
>All this requires is your personal opinion,
>the opinion of the general population will not suffice in any way or pertain to our discussion as we cannot go out and get their opinion on the matter in this thread.
Translation:
>My opinion is the only opinion that matters to the discussion normies get out REEE
My opinion is that you're really mad over the fact that nobody you know personally shares your interests.

>Its a "da good ol' days" thread again

Maybe you are not so related with the contemporany scene of the culture aka a passive faggot

Why, do I make your tiny, pathetic cock shrivel up and feel ashamed in the way that only usually happens when you're confronted with the eternal feminine? Cry, cry, little boy.

I can do what I like, idiot!

As you can see, the OP contains a series of questions NOT answers. Therefore, the OP is in fact more open than you are willing to give it credit!

Ignore this meaningless discussion and focus on the topic at hand!

What is *your* opinion on the matter?

But this information makes it the best time to be alive

but you said it was generally accepted.

What's it like knowing I didn't read any of your post when confronted with the typical "Lmfao." where you females are so easily spotted?

Sad!

>Maybe you are not so related with the contemporany scene of the culture aka a passive faggot

Why don't you provide examples?

Oh wait, you didn't provide any examples because you know that none exist, otherwise, you would have provided them!

Embarrassed for you because you're a brainlet.

>As you can see, the OP contains a series of questions NOT answers

Most of all it contains a series of unsupported claims. Not just about common opinion but also about the deterioration of cinema.

Why do you think contemporary cinema is bad? How is it bad and how do you compare it to cinema before? Can you actually make any arguments that aren't shitpost-tier sweeping statements?

Sad!

Do as you're told and respond to this post, little brainlet roachie.

>Why do you think contemporary cinema is bad?

Because it's all capeshit, reproductions of existing films and big budget sci-fi/cgi to make greater profit margins.

>How is it bad and how do you compare it to cinema before?

These films are clearly worse than the box office films of the mid-20th century, anyone who denies this is a moron not worth debating!

>Can you actually make any arguments that aren't shitpost-tier sweeping statements?

Can you?

Now, what is your opinion?

>i only know the mainstream therefore nothing else exists
Are you 16?

You can find them on the internet easy, do you really want me to link to some movies and art?I dont feel like you really want to be convinced

Personally, I think there aren't enough catastrophic or major events happening that shape a generation, like the World Wars or The Cold War or going further back, the Renaissance and Enlightenment or say, the Persian and Peloponnesian Wars.

What we have is a kind of low level badness in most of the world that most people in the west either don't care about or only make a token effort of caring. There are no stories to tell, and a lot of ideas have already been explored by previous generations.

There is also the possibility with things like music that we simply are out of ideas.

That proves the point. Literally every writer you mentioned was irrelevant at the time in which they wrote. Who is to say there aren't people of that caliber writing now, yet to be discovered?

The present always seems worse than the past in terms of cultural success because the historians and critics haven't created a narrative for it yet.

I watch independent films on a regular basis, idiot, I keep up to date with all of them, they're all shit!

The majority of them are between 4-6/10, none of them ever reach the status of an 8 or a 9!

>Literally every writer you mentioned was irrelevant at the time in which they wrote.

WRONG. Fuck off, retard.

>These films are clearly worse than the box office films of the mid-20th century, anyone who denies this is a moron not worth debating!
Those are terrible arguments (they arwnt arguments at all) and no one will take you seriously if you're too lazy to elaborate your thoughts (if you have any).

As for Marvel movies (and this goes similarly for Music or other forms of art): Are you not making an unfair comparison here? You're comparing what is popular right now with old time classics that have survived the test of time, and not with what was popular *then*. Did you know that in "69 the Archies' "Sugar Sugar" was in the top of the Radio charts?

You didn't answer whether you're 16 or not.

>> I keep up to date with all of them, they're all shit!

Hahahaha, why do you persist?

Not an argument, back to you go!

You know, the victorians wrote a lot of shit. So did the people in the 20s, so too did a lot of much earlier generations. It's entirely possible that the gems of this generation are simply buried under a pile of dross, and it's history that does the sifting. That process has yet to happen for our generation.

Our culture is dead because the culture creators are dead. We have rejected our traditions, and instead have chosen to create our own new traditions. However, we lack the talent to do so, and what we end up with is what we have now.

You want rational, objective arguments when you're spouting the completely subjective opinions typically held by a 16 year old. You're definitely 16, desu.

Yeah /mu/ here and I disagree music is doing alright except the past two years have been so-so.

My opinion on the matter is that the form media is consumed in bulk has changed to the point where literary works in print are not given as much focus as they have in the past. 'Modern' media has been supplanting most physical writing for years and years.
Television, the media form that is alleged to have been killing reading for years by people like Roald Dahl (see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory for an example of his views on the corrupting influence of television as expressed in character form), has been moving to the Internet for half a decade.
It's in demand because people demand it. Same with video games. Video game players complain that AAA games are shit, but they sell. If you want to find geniuses, maybe you need to look harder. There's a million people screaming their opinions on the net every day, you're bound to find one or two that fit your niche.
What is this golden apple you're looking for? If you can define it, it'll be easier to find. Whining out of ennui is not a substitute for observing current culture with a critical eye.

Because you never know!

>and not with what was popular *then*. Did you know that in "69 the Archies' "Sugar Sugar" was in the top of the Radio charts?

Yeah and? That doesn't change the fact thousands of young people were attending concerts by jimi hendrix!

Also, what was popular in the past is still classic now. Films like 12 Angry Men and Apocalypse Now are still classics and they're just the examples off the top of my head! They're not even the best!

DAE le wrong generation

I want whatever glue you're huffing my dude

>/mu/ here
Stopped reading at this point

There aren't even any good films! All the good films are dead! Culture is dead! It's my opinion because it's my experience, and my experience means it's fact! I'm just asking questions! What's your opinion, idiot!

>Yeah and? That doesn't change the fact thousands of young people were attending concerts by jimi hendrix!

And right now thousands of young people are attending concerts of equally talented artists. What exactly is your point?

Autism.

If you have an opinion of your own, share it.

What albums do you like from this decade?

Reading ~50 canonical books and watching movies from the "1001 movies" list is nice but it doesn't make you an expert on art history and doesn't give you the knowledge required for saying extreme and sweeping statements like yours. Constant insults and exclamation marks in your other replies undermine your legitimacy further...
>The majority of them are between 4-6/10, none of them ever reach the status of an 8 or a 9!
...and this buries it ten metres under the fucking ground.

But he was quoting you.

>And right now thousands of young people are attending concerts of equally talented artists. What exactly is your point?

Why can't you name them?

Autism is dead, idiot! I keep up to date with all the latest autism, and it's shit! It doesn't even compare to the autism of the past! Now, what's your autism? It's terrible, idiot!

No, he was being a loser as are you. When someone says they believe something is the case, they don't mean "It is fact bro!!" You only think it does because you're insecure and never have your opinions challenged.

You sound anti-humanist

Triggered lol

We are not as smart as we once were. The best of us died in the cataclysmic event known as the 20th century.

>Why is nobody waking up to the fact that culture is dead?
Are you so retarded as to not see this literally means "I'm aware of the truth and nobody else is, and anyone who challenges me isn't woke enough!" Idiot! You act like a belligerent retard and duck for cover shouting OPINIONS! OPINIONS! when challenged. You're definitely 16 and you should definitely kill yourself.

Pretty sure you've been sperging for three posts straight, loser.

If you've got a counter opinion, post it instead of yelling "16!" all the time.

Embarrassing.

I'm not reading all this bullshit but could someone provide some examples of great contemporary art? I'm legitimately interested and remember we are anonymously online so if you're afraid to offer something due to fear of being mocked then reevaluate your self-image

Someone is also too stupid to realise this site is anonymous and you can't know whether I've posted my opinion or what it is. Idiot!

Well the West really doesn't believe in it's own values anymore and hasn't for a long time.

I mean, barely anyone is a Christian, and even if they say they are, they are only Christian in a stunted cultural, destroyed-by-the-scientific-worldview kind of way.

And the replacement of Christianity and Christian values is this annoying leftist politics that everyone apotheosize as the savior of humanity(Equality, brotherhood, tolerance and diversity).

Meanwhile the barbarians are amassing on the borders, just like in Rome. The people who believe in absolute Truth, righteousness and heroic masculinity. They usually fly planes into buildings and drive trucks through masses of people because they believe so strongly in their values.

The problem is that your arguments and methods are reminiscent of those of a 16 year old.

I don't think anyone on Veeky Forums is able to write a comprehensive critique of contemporary (pop-) culture, let alone within the margins of a thread, but comparing The Avengers to Citizen Kane certainly won't do, Buster.

Howdy.

A victim of postmodernism sophism I see
The most vocal it seems

Reddit

>1982

Causes one to ponder

Artist in filename

>A 35-year-old doesn't count
>He turned 18 on the turn of the century
For
What
Purpose

Culture is dead because morons like you have proliferated. It's impossible to have high quality mass culture when the majority can't engage in complex thinking and respond with blank cheque memery just so they can have the last post in an exchange.

Care to post any from 2010's?

This is shit

I'm not huge on film but I really liked "the fith season"

Wow you're dumb

>contemporary art

This includes literature music etc.

>muh light
its shit

reeeeeeeeeeeddit!

>Care to post any from 2010s
This piece is from 2014.
The artist is ten years old you fucking sperg. You don't deserve any better.

Not a single individual in this thread has been able to name a SINGLE piece of GREAT art from the past 7 years.

my diary desu

Culture is dead because it's all becoming memes. Postmodernity had an early sense of this but it was still too tied up with Marxist utopianism to draw the real conclusions of where things were heading, which was the domestication of the human species by capital, a domestication they willingly submitted themselves to, the complete automation of human beings.

Nothing needs to be real or authentic. In a cultural sense only capital is real, a blind and inhuman deity that feeds on happiness to reproduce itself.

The future is populism and robotics, large crowds of clueless people praising the cold hands that will be looking on with 'intellects vast and cool and unsympathetic' at their boring fleshbag progenitors, and their strange, quixotic desires.

Gee I guess that proves your theory right then.

Not him, but I like it. Reminds me of the stargate scene in Space Odyssey.

Given your criteria for great is 'is at least forty years old but still remembered fondly', I guess not.

STFU and let people post. I for one am seriously interested in having a glimmer of hope

A great War is needed for society to advance. I'm just waiting for the draft tbqhfam. Can't wait for the post War est.

The Young Pope.

>he thinks he will survive the draft

Cute

You dont know about painting do you?

As you say this, I wonder if "marketing" was as big in the past as it is now. On some level I know there have always been salesmen, but there couldn't have been the same holistic gearing of society towards consumption, right?

The Great Beauty is a good film.

Globalism didn't culture, only tradition.

Delete your stupid thread.

Let's be fair, do we have any criteria by which we are able to decide normal contemporary art from great contemporary art?

*didn't kill

I hope I'm not brainlet enough to be on the frontlines. I probably will be.