Are scallops good? Im trying to learn how to cook and want to make orzo and seared scallops...

Are scallops good? Im trying to learn how to cook and want to make orzo and seared scallops. I've never had scallops before. Not a huge seafood person

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/YymAA-1YrYQ
youtu.be/kCXKmbN6OBU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scallop_aquaculture
youtube.com/watch?v=WdKDhhAXGvY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I like scallops, but I also like seafood.

If you live somewhere that you can get them fresh, they're great. However if you're not near a source I wouldn't particularly have high expectations, especially if you're not big into seafood as it is.

Why not get some scallops and try them? Why do you think asking other people of their opinions on things will tell you if you will enjoy it or not?

Scallops are top of the seafood chain in flavor

Yes, and they're 80% protein

Fresh ones are great, ones that have been hanging around for a while are really mediocre.

Nah. Nobody eats scallops.

sear, flip, sear, sit. That's it, they're easy to cook but just as easy to fuck up if you over cook. It's all timing.

Eh people say this but I don't get it. Had them at a 2 star restaurant and on a separate occasion at a tasting event by another 2 star chef that was actually internationally famous for his scallops.

They were good, but I'll take crab over them easily.

Have you eaten anything but shoes and scallops?

Sprinkle some herbs on top, and serve. Pretty damn tasty but as this user pointed out they are quite easy to overcook.

scallops are kind of expensive and since il be buying them at costco i dont want to end up with a lot of scallops i wont eat

Scallops are amazing. Too good for orzo, in fact. Very tender and juicy.

Try a scallop appetizer at a restaurant first.

Try this
youtu.be/YymAA-1YrYQ
Or this
youtu.be/kCXKmbN6OBU

I'm not exactly a huge envirowhacko, in fact I think the environmentalist movement in the U.S. has gone fucking nuts, but scallops are the one food that I have given up because of the destruction of the environment that their harvest inevitably causes. To harvest them, ships basically drag a scraper across the ocean floor and completely destroy everything in their path.

People bitch about shark fin soup, but at least that's one mobile species (well, group of species) rather than the entire ecosystem in an area.

Easy scallops : with creme and shallot
Don't overcook them

Scallops aren't St Jeacques

I think that they taste like blood and piss and I'm quite fond of other shell fish. People do like them though so give it a shot

yup

since the 1990s, 90% of scallops are farmed:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scallop_aquaculture

>great delivery
>pleasant voice
>informative and actually cooks
Top-tier suggestion, user.

OP, scallops don't really taste like seafood. Give em a shot. Your meal idea sounds delicious.

Live on NE coast love all seafood don't care much for scallops. Only get if fresh and get the small ones which will be sweet. The big ones are fucking disgusting

Top Tier Seafood, great with fettuccine alfredo imo
crab and lobster is so fucking overrated

Urchin roe is probably my favorite thing.
Deep-fried, I don't even know what you call them, egg pouches of freshwater bass are probably second. Raw salmon or tuna belly is up there with scallops though.

Oysters are nice but strangely forgettable. Mussels are good. Most other aquatic life is forgettable; except ray and shark which are goddamned vile if not fresh.

After they thaw wrap them in paper towels to suck the excess water out and then sear in a hot pan.

I never eat scallops but this really bummed me out

Agreed with everyone who says they are top tier seafood. But be warned, they are delicate! Cook for a second too long and they'll turn tough!

Scallops are terrific
Very healthy, and most simply pan fried in butter on a high heat on each side to a nice crust similar to your pic related
the flavour is minerally and quite delicate, and most of the appeal is from the texture; which is like a complexly grained flaky rubber if cooked right
alternatively you can cook them in the shell or sous vide very gently and slice fine
get them very very fresh with the roe attached, and learn the techniques for cooking correctly

OP here i just cooked scallops and orzo for the first time and I really liked em. 2 tbs of butter and a little olive oil on med high heat. I took them off after a couple minutes but i realized i liked them cooked medium well or well done. I didnt care for translucent center. The more i cooked it the sweeter the meat was and it had a very small bite to it. Orzo was ok, didnt like the texture but flzvor was great. cooked with butter, chicken stock, garlic powder, parm, and salt and pepper. unfortunately no photos.

>most of the appeal is from the texture; which is like a complexly grained flaky rubber if cooked right
Sounds delicious

stop posting coon music

I recently just made scallops for the first time and I've been really pumped up about them since. I wanted to just pan sear them, but my family insisted I wrap them in bacon and toss them on the grill. They still came out pretty good. My only issue with them is that they're considered sonething of a delicacy, so they can be a little pricey, even if purchased at half a pound where I am.

kill yourself

>they're considered sonething of a delicacy, so they can be a little pricey,
You are confusing scallops and St Jacques

Well crap. I stopped eating them in the mid-1980s. Seriously. You mean I could have been eating scallops for the last 20 years?!?!?

I don't know you assholes, but do this..

youtube.com/watch?v=WdKDhhAXGvY

Most of the time you ruin food by wrapping it in "other food." Don't let people tell you to do that. Chicken rapped cheese is ok, but most people take it too far.

I bnought frozen scallops once and they smelled off so never bought them again.

I like eating scallops raw.

Just watch out for scallops preserved in phosphates, they leave an aftertaste like soap. Always go for 'dry' scallops.

Go nuts, you deserve it for sticking to your guns. You're like those japs who stayed at war for like 10 extra years.

LOL. I totally am going to. Next trip to Costco I'll get a big bag. :-) Thanks!

Uni is tasty af. Ray is nasty period. Scallops are honestly overrated. They taste fine, but it's not worth paying so fucking much.

Underrated post

Good on you, OP. You inspired me to get scallops this weekend. Glad it was a success for you.

Holy fuck Gordon, calm down