How long would it take you to die if you fell down a bottomless pit?

How long would it take you to die if you fell down a bottomless pit?

who cares?!?! buy my LINK bags!!!!

>redditor fresh off the boat from /r/cuckvestment
you need to go back

Depends on latitude.

I would die from
>tfw no gf

You mean falling forever until you die without hitting a bottom? It depends on the temperature and what you are wearing. If it is even a bit cold to you, you'll die of exposure. Otherwise, you'll die of dehydration, the length of time which is different for everyone. There's also a slight chance you'd die of a heart attack from fear of the situation.

Good answer, but the well is curved.

>How long would it take you to die
A lot less than it would take you to hit bottom.
Have fun getting mangled in the sidewalls.

In Earth?
Well, the acceleration won't kill you. See pic.
But temperature increases rapidly with depth.
So your life is at risk about 100km or so, I guess. I can't be arsed to find the exact depth at which it would kill you, but gravity is so strong that you would survive just minutes.

Oops, forgot my sources

>t gravity is so strong that you would survive just minutes.
are you dumb? how old are you?

Properly curved so Coriolis force doesn't drag you against a wall, you'd rise to the surface again -- somewhere else -- in about 45 minutes. If you grab onto something before falling back, you could clamber out. The time is the same regardless of the distance between the holes in the surface.

(As is usual in these problems, air resistance has been neglected.)

If that answer doesn't satisfy you, read "Alice in Wonderland" for an actual account of such a fall.

Speed increases so fast that after a few minutes you would be so deep that the temperature will be so high to survive. Gravity is extremely strong, if you could have a rocket traveling at 1g continuously you would reach the moon in less than two hours

But acceleration would decrease as you fell, becoming briefly zero at the mid-point of the trip.

Where did you get the upper-right figure? Doesn't make sense.
The lower-right curve is irrelevant because we at least agree acceleration isn't constant.

That's fine for a rocket.
But being inside a planet means that all the matter at a larger radius has no effect on you. All the pulls cancel out.
I have this on the authority of Isaac Newton himself.

>bottomless pit
>people giving answers based on a bottomed pit

Just very badly phrased on his part.
He means an acceleration of 1g would get you very deep within the Earth every quickly. He's still wrong though because 1-Terminal velocity
2-Said velocity would decrease as you fall deeper.

Yes but it doesn’t decrease fast enough. You be dead before exiting the upper mantle. G actually increases before decreasing, look at the graph and correlate it with temperature

Were are being generous and assuming he was not using the term literally, which would be a scenario which is unrealistic with our physics and so any answer would be meaningless.

You would be dead already by the time it would start decreasing

Proof?

your_moms_vagina.png

air resistance would mean you would eventually give yourself x-velocity unintentionally and slam into the side of the well and die horrifically

>so any answer would be meaningless.

Then why even ask the answer when the question will always be, "when you hit the bottom"? This is the only correct answer, because the OP is a tard.

>"when you hit the bottom"
Except very few people answered that.

Terminal velocity is about 195 km/h in earth's atmosphere, meaning you would die in a matter of minutes. Yes that guy didn't take drag into account, but temperature still increases fast enough that you wouldn't survive even an hour.

Because "double brainlet".

Yeah I know, I meant he was wrong to assume your increase in speed would be comparable to that of a accelerating rocket in a vacuum.
Also the terminal velocity would lower as you drop down. But yeah you should be dead within 10 minutes or something like that.

If the air pressure is too low (significantly above 10,000ft MSL) you suffocate in a matter of minutes. If the air pressure gets too high you will pass out from nitrogen narcosis and die.

If the temperature is too low or too high that might get you, if nothing in the environment of the bottomless pit is dangerous than you die of dehydration or from impacts of hitting the wall.

You can actually control your descent in both vertical speed and tangential direction, skydivers do it all the time. So you could intentionally hit the wall and flailing around randomly will likely cause a wall hit too.

Okay so what if this hypothetical bottomless pit doesn't have walls?

Then it's a black hole with an atmosphere.

I miss any rigid calculations in this thread, Veeky Forums what's wrong with you?

>If the air pressure is too low (significantly above 10,000ft MSL) you suffocate in a matter of minutes
That's an interesting question. The gravity force is zero at the earth's center of mass. What would the air pressure be? Would there be pressure or partial vacuum?

I FUCKED YOU IN HALF
I FUCKED YOU IN HALF
I FUCKED YOU IN HALF
I FUCKED YOU IN HALF

Do you think a person could sleep in freefall? I wonder if you'd be awake until you died of dehydration.

>Do you think a person could sleep in freefall?
I dunno, do people sleep on ISS?

they don't float around while sleeping you autist, they strap themselves down

>You know what that is
No, you.

You'd break your neck on the side-walls before any of the things mentioned above could happen. Nobody falls perfectly straight down

DID YOU JUST ASSUME THE WIDTH OF THE TUNNEL?

Kek. But yes, although it could still be pretty fucking big and have that be the most likely cause of death

Hole in the Earth: you slam into the wall of the pit before you make it all the way through the Earth, dying either instantly or soon after. Time to die: minutes.

Some other universe or some other specific encounter you come up with to avoid deaths that are too timely or because you don't like the outcome: depends on whatever you come up with.

Air pressure will increase all of the way down, with a maximum at the center of the Earth. Somebody (else) should run the numbers to see where the air pressure becomes fatal, assuming normal air, and not a customized trimix.

This also decreases terminal velocity.

What would happen if you somehow found yourself at the very center of the earth? What kind of gravity would you experience?

If it's a bottomless, borderless pit in vacuum on earth with constant temperature it'd take a few minutes to die from force.

this is Veeky Forums not Veeky Forums you twat
sergey is a scam artist

You would experience ~0 gravity because there would be very nearly equal mass all around you.

From force? What? Also, if it is a vacuum you'd survive at most several second past however long you managed to hold your breath.

If I calculate correctly, with the standard dry adiabatic lapse rate (9.8K/km), assuming insulated walls on the pit, the temperature 10km down is about 120 C (fatal, I think), while the pressure is about 4 atmospheres (nitrogen narcosis is becoming noticeable). It's the temperature that gets you.

You can never feel acceleration from falling into a gravity well, I think. Free-falling is the same as no gravity at all.

>Doesn't understand the concept of hypothetical questions

>How long would it take you to die if you sped up past the speed of light?

>but that's impossible so there's no point in thinking about it!!!!
>stop having fun!!!! you have to be thinking about (((useful))) things 100% of the time REEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Would you not be pulled toward the sun a bit? I'm sure the equilibrium point is somewhere close to the center.

>How far would I go if the universe was my hand?

In one sense, a hole entirely through a planet is bottomless. In another sense, the center of the planet is the bottom. In this second sense, there isn't anything to hit -- the hole continues on.

But, even if the pit isn't in a spherical planet, if there is the gravity required to make you fall, either the air pressure increases with depth, or the air will also be falling down the pit. If, somehow, the temperature is maintained at a comfortable level, the pressure will be deadly.