Though I adore it and cherish it in a way I don't really understand what rimbaud did for poetry...

Though I adore it and cherish it in a way I don't really understand what rimbaud did for poetry. Who is an analogous contemporary of him?

Did he usurp the classicists? or did he simply breathe into the world a point on which all subsequent poetry would ground their arguments in?

Other urls found in this thread:

mag4.net/Rimbaud/en/DocumentsE1.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

also, i'm drunk, so please forgive my syntax and application of grammar.

Symbolism?
Verlaine, lautréamont, ...

please explain

read graham robbs biography of him

read his "lettre du voyant". Rimbaud himself describes what he tries to accomplish.

What does he say?

thank you both
i'm really in the dark on all this

"Cette langue sera de l’âme pour l’âme, résumant tout, parfums, sons, couleurs, de la pensée accrochant la pensée et tirant. "

and a lot of other thing.

What does this mean in English?

>translations

Ok, congrats on your occult knowledge. You showed me.

jk
mag4.net/Rimbaud/en/DocumentsE1.html
but you shouldn't read him translated.

"This language shall be of the soul for the soul, summarizing all, scents, sounds, colours, thought clinging on thought and pulling."
This is my amateurish translation.

What a guy

Isn't it? Read "Voyelles" for more synesthesia

I've never read any Rimbaud and I was thinking to start with a collection of his prose poems--I've forgotten the title, to my shame. Which edition/translation would you recommend?

m8 Rimbaud was the first meme writer of the history. A bunch of rip-off poems based on gautier, baudelaire and the latin poets. He is know today only because he suddenly STOPPED WRITING AND WENT TO SELLING GUNS IN AFRICA.

He never superpassed the phase when you are a teenage and only write copying the ones you like.

The only worthy-read part of his oeuvre are the satires, esp. the ones he wrote with Verlaine.

>I can't get shit at literary history neither do I understand rimbaud, pls look at me i wrote meme words
(you)

>i'm an anglo who read rimbaud in translation and knows nothing about the history of french poetry
(You)

Si t'as pas même l'excuse d'une mauvaise traduction et que tu l'as authentiquement lu, considère le suicide. Je peux comprendre qu'il déplaise, un peu moins qu'un autiste dégueule connerie sur connerie à son propos.

Rimbaud stepped, I believe, in the relam of surrealism, especially later, with the poems in prose.
Even in the la betau ivre (the drunken ship), there are some motives of surrealism, the vivid description of non-existent places, where the boat had went after the murder of the crew.

But, this the Rimbaud lit never talks about. Lit has a complex, since they're just teens that never amounted to what Rimbaud had, with his 3 yrs of work.

Illuminations. Ashbery has a great translation.

>f-fuck you, rambo was a poetic genius ok? viva la franca etc.