I'm a 23 year old high school drop out, is it too late for me to learn math/science and get a degree?

I'm a 23 year old high school drop out, is it too late for me to learn math/science and get a degree?

Other urls found in this thread:

open.ac.uk/courses/find/applied-mathematics
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No but it will be hard. Your brain will need to be reshaped by learning maths. You will need to study for many hours per day.

You can, and its never too late, unless you're dead. But prepare to sacrifice many hours every day for the next couple years of your life, consistently, without failure. It's a great that you want to want to try, but the hardest bit is putting your head down and putting the work in.

You wont get any profit unless you become a teacher

>"but knowledge is beyond any type of profit"

Nah, you will not discover or invent anything, and bills have to be paid

I'm 23 halfway through 3rd year and I kick myself for not starting sooner. If I was in your position and hadn't started at all I'd probably be going in to a trade, honestly. But, it's definitely not an unreasonable thing to do. If you can afford it and think it will lead to a better career, go for it.

There's a guy in my program who is 31 for instance. He's making it work and starting to do pretty well, but age has definitely made it harder for him. I think starting at 23 isn't nearly as bad, so long as you start at a comfortable level. Do you know what you want to study?

The head of our math department never finished hs, got drafted, then came back and got a PhD from the gi bill. I'm 29 and graduate after the spring. You can do it, if you really want to.

25 year old highschool dropout here, I'm a NEET and am learning things everyday.

It seems like everyone believes that math is only for people for whom math is already easy, or for people who started early and never had an interruption.

The reality in my experience is that math, like any other endeavor, yields itself over to hard work. The desire to succeed, high tolerance for ambiguity and frustration, and the willingness to put in the hours grinding out problems are all that matter. A bit of autism helps.

nope, in second year in a comp sci + physics, one of my best friends in the same program is 26. it's all about work ethic.

Technically it's not too late, you could self study then go get a degree and it's no big deal

But realistically, since you are a highschool dropout, you are pre-selected as a slacker who doesn't care, and the chance of you successfully doing this is slim

Please prove me wrong OP. Please say "fuck that dude who said the chances are slim, I'm going to do it and nobody can tell me not to"

It's never too late. In fact, you're probably in a good position as far as age goes. I wasn't a high school drop out but I didn't do anything and finished in like the bottom 25%.

Hopefully you got all of the partying out of your system and you're motivated. I went back and got my bachelor's, got a much better job and now I'm working on becoming an actuary and I know a few programming languages. I did all of this in about 5 years. Best advice is to move away from your friends (unless they have their shit together) and basically become a reclusive work machine. They'll be there when you're done. It will fucking suck ass trying to adjust initially. Once you get used to it you'll laugh at things that used to stress you out. Definitely worth it. Consistency is the key. Good luck!

Op already dropped out of this thread so what hope could he have to pass now

topkek

OP you're doomed, DOOMED.

Laughinggoldenman.penis

Both Open University in UK, and Athabasca U in Canada have real accredited BSc's in Applied Math, or Statistics w/Pure Math, or general science BScs and there is no pre-reqs, even highschool isn't needed. You have to pay though, I pay $4k a year for Open University.

If you can't pay (you can, get a job), there's University of the People, it's tuition free, an accredited BSc in the US, and they have 3 BSc offerings. You just pay for exams, which are $100 or so. OpenU in UK doesn't have any lectures, they send you course material and assignments but you get really good feedback from the TAs and other benefits. It seems largely designed for Math majors open.ac.uk/courses/find/applied-mathematics

The point of this is you get the coveted entry degree which means you can pay for an MSc like Georgia Tech's CS masters or you can apply to a grad school for PhD track if you had the money.

Work ethic and adequate intelligence are both necessary to get a degree, but of the two, work ethic is far more important.

It will be if you don't stop stalking me.

No. Get your GED, then go to university or community college and then transfer into an university.

Professors like slightly older students as they tend not to skip class/assignments/exams because they want to party or other childish shit and are there to learn.

>Professors like slightly older students as they tend not to skip class/assignments/exams because they want to party or other childish shit and are there to learn.
I have never met a math student who skipped something in order to party

I started when I was 21.
In a way, I preferred it, because when I was 18 I was living with my parents, played video games, and was generally lazy.
Then I spent 3 years working and living on my own, learned how to take care of myself.
I think if I started university at 18, I would have just failed/dropped out.

So yeah, try it. Unless your still living with your parents...

I'm doing a math degree in the UK at 26 and I have failed GCSEs and a levels.

You think you'll just have to struggle to learn math, the reality of it is you have to learn, accept and try to change the fact that all your shortcomings in life are ultimately your own, and while you may have not had role models pushing you to do well when you were younger, your happiness was always your responsibility.

Yes, honestly. You don't see any success stories on people who started "late". Hell, you're even unsure of yourself if you can actually make it, so don't go because it's going to be a waste of time and money.

Nah, go for it. You’ll get out at 27 and start out with a nice career. Life isn’t so linear, so better late than never (and it’s never too late)