ITT: Post shit-tier textbooks

ITT: Post shit-tier textbooks

i got you senpai

fuck you

asking for trolling like this faggot here.

yeah, ¬blue cover suxx ass

GURIFIIIIIIIIIIIIIISU

Horribly written

pajeet edition is disgusting too

if unironic then why

there's worse

unironically this. why bother with it when you can read an easy book like stewart then an analysis book like rudin or tao

spivak and tao are on same tier (introductory analysis)
rudin is beyond

the front cover alone is already a good reason to trash it

because it sucks, my dude

stewart is unreadable, it's just practice, I had to rely on the lectures to understand the theory.

trash

I've read the JPS commentary on the Song of Songs and it was quite fun. It was for a neat religious studies class that compared interpretations from Christianity and Judaism and how they competed with one another and took radically different directions over hundreds of years.
Goldstein makes me feel happy. He's the one who pointed out that relativistic hamiltonians only make sense for single particles in a field, which blew my mind like nothing else. Nice problems, too. Jose and Saletan on the other hand, I rather disliked.
I disliked Griffith's "humor" if it could be called that. I like Sakurai better, though I'll need to try Shankar eventually.
My highschool education was perhaps not the strongest, so K&K made me work for it in my first mechanics class in university. I look at it from time to time.

>spivak and tao are on same tier
no

I'll have to agree with this. This book is pure autism.

There's no fucking reason to make a calculus book that hard, the only people that say that this book is great are those who ALREADY KNOW calculus. The objective of a book is to fucking teach, not to melt your brain on a few pages.

Just a regular calculus book will do the work, after that, just go to analysis and you can use good books like Tao's or even Rudin.

Thank you so much I thought I was retarded trying to understand it as an intro to calc

i have the pajeet edition. why is it bad?

How? They have the simplest explanations for concepts I've ever seen.

This is true

You are a jew, aren't you?

General physics courses are complete ass.

Dat ominous cover tho

Why is this shit-tier.

>reading textbooks in the first place

These meme threads about listing all of the best textbooks in the world and saying how bad they are are great for advertising some nice stuff. Also for picking up the images and creating a "best textbooks" graphic. Thanks.

You could probably eliminate 80% of bad math textbooks just by requiring professors to not teach out of things published before 1980.

In what context are you saying it's shit? It's not great for a first learner, but it is the best reference text in EM

Not really.

Quite some years ago (2009 or something) I checked out this book while I was in high school because I had an interest in mathematics and it has quite a decent reputation form what I could tell.

This shit was retardedly hard, and I kept telling myself, "Ha, sure is tough to truly understand how mathematics works" and I trying to force this shit down my throat, finding it difficult to read page by page, and failing my attempts at almost any exercise. I tried to trudge through this book gradually over a few years (into my first year of university), and I felt like I understood fuck all even after spending minutes more than i've probably spent on any other book.

I eventually did a normal mathematics education in university supplemented with some occasional reading of standard analysis, abstract algebra texts. I also grew a lot of interest in theoretical computer science, which my school is very well known for, and have taken such and such courses and solved my problem sets in there.

I'm a grad student and I can read through the basics of most slightly less basic mathematics topics very smoothly now (AG, topology, operator theory, etc), and I can safely say nowhere did this fucking book help. It has complexity with little motivations, and exercises which I can now evaluate easily as relying on silly gimmicks that are irrelevant to the chapter topic, to obtain results which are for the most part, give very little insight on the topic.

I wasted so many hours trying to read this book when I was younger thinking it was some kind of rite of passage and first step towards "real" mathematics and that it would put me above the plebians who studied normal calc.

It tries to bridge a gap between calculus and introductory, but ends up having the worst of both worlds. In particular, it does away with much of the abstraction in real analysis, abstractions which actually make the topic more intuitive and approachable (e.g. balls).

This book is a fukcing meme

This book is fucking garbage. Any alternatives?

The easiest one is Pressley if all you know is calculus. If you know linear algebra, use O'Neill's free one. Both are titled 'Elementary Differential Geometry.' Then you can go on to something more advanced.

Fuck this faggy-ass book. Tons and tons of exposition that ends up making you confused, no solved exercises, and tons of fucking bullshit exercises that range from "plug and play" to "if Bobby and Sally both have a charged Rod then what's the Electric Flux of an apple that falls downwards and impales itself on the Rod the moment when an Electrical Field pops up from the anus of a rotting corpse; Find the molecular density of the corpse's rotten dick, if it still exists".

It's not the book... you're just stupid.

You have experience with it then?

he's right though. the book confuses the fuck out of me. There are cases were they just do things to fuck with the student like say the spring force equals -kx when compressed but when using potential spring energy in the conservation of energy equations the value is always positive when compressed as 1/2kx^2.
Also they just like to randomly add a negative sign to many equations where you have shit like (random number)-(-(-random number)).

Spivak is a meme

fuck off this book is great

Which one is harder, Spivak or Apostol?

This is a terrible Data Structures & Algorithms book. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Really? What makes I so great, oh glorious PHENOTYPE? Because this user here brought up some good examples. I've even noticed typos in it.

This is actually the most helpful book of these all.

The book posted by is actually way better for an introduction to university-level physics, since it is way more straightforward in explaining without sacrificing detail

oh and Serway does have solutions to it's exercises, though separate from the book. You can find them in Lib Genesis

that doesn't mean it doesn't suck ass however

Thanks for the suggestion user.

Yeah I know, I found the Solution Manual for the first volume, but can't find the second one. My deal is that it drones on and on about the theory, complicates things, and doesn't offer any examplary exercises.

It's pretty clear expositionally, I think. Lots of really great examples and motivation for definitions.

lol

They might as well have called it

"Data Structures and Algorithms: The Pajeet Edition"

Are Apostol or Thomas Calculus better?

absolutely shit tier. It does a perfect job of making you not understand simple shit.

>java

This book is retardedly hard for a fucking first class in mechanics and does not cover all the shit you're supposed to learn

Do not even download the pdf of this garbage

I don't get it, I've used both and found them to be almost identical. I did like the amount of examples there were in the allegedly shittier one. What exactly are your issues with it?

I got B+'s in my Physics 1 & 2 classes using this book.

All you really need to do is do the example problems and have an outside source that works out the problems so you can dissect the problems you don't understand.

It sucks that it doesn't come with those solutions but it makes sense because instructors assign the examples as HW problems.

I used chegg to get all the solutions and it helped a lot when I was studying for exams.

everyone who complains about this book came at it sideways.

this book was the textbook for my calculus class in university (already had taken calc 1 in high school) and while challenging has taught me a lot. Don't read this book unless you are being taught by the professor.

Dunno user. I try and do 20-25 exercises per chapter, and that's still not enough. Exams here are pretty demanding. Problem is, even then I manage only a 7/10 and it takes up a lot of time. I'm not saying I'm some super-genius who's getting blocked by the book, but it is making things harder, not easier.

Everything published by Jones&Bartlett is a stealing pile of shit. As is any book that exceeds 4 editions in 40 years.

The book is shit because it says one thing then the following page it contradicts itself or goes through a stroke in an equation likesaid. It's insulting to my intelligence when publishers let shit like this pass through inspections of the book. The only explanation is that they don't give a shit or the people who proofread it are math/physics illiterate to begin with. I can picture some liberal arts major who only dealt with algebra proofreading this shit.

>As is any book that exceeds 4 editions in 40 years.

wew lad

Why the judeophobia?

What's wrong with it? I was going to pick it up because all linear algebra I know is from Linear Algebra Done Wrong which I've heard is less than perfect.

The shittiest of them all, like just use serge lang and oakley instead of this piece of shit.

your noses scare me

Hey user! i'm so glad someone posted this, gelfand's algebra book is horrible!

Thank you kind user, welcome to the club!

You shouldn't take anything in this thread seriously.

Fucking piece of shit, used this horrible shit through mechanics and E&M

our prof also created his assignments using this 20-lb monstrosity.

Is Herstein's Topics in Algebra any good? I grabbed it because it's in the sticky but I never see anyone talking about it.

>six editions in
>still makes a mistake in the electron transport chain shit

Lippincott Illustrated Reviews is much better

THICC

This book is not rigorous enough.

They are, to be honest.

>which I've heard is less than perfect

From where?

I have fallen for the meme so hard. It goes over introductory stuff in the first three chapters in autistically painful detail. Why doesn't it dispense with the car / cdr nonsense after lists are introduced? And so much annoyance comes from using mixtures of append and cons. Just pick one.

Good for first exposure to algebra. Lots of long explanations. You'll outgrow it and switch to Artin or Dummit and Foote eventually.

>wanting rigor in fucking bio texts
holy shit
Veeky Forums has flayed your mind

So it's not just me. Ah fuck it, still got 100 on the final.

Okay then, which physics book do I read as an engineering student? Are there any good calc-based physics books geared towards engineers, or am I stuck with shit like KnK?