How important is linear algebra to Computer Science

I'm taking it over the winter and seems like im rushing without properly learning the material.

Will it come again in the future?

>inb4 Computer Science Student

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kjBOesZCoqc&list=PLZHQObOWTQDPD3MizzM2xVFitgF8hE_ab
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I have no idea what path you wish to take, but the concepts you discuss in linear algebra are pretty fundamental to most mathematical sciences and applications. I am not too familiar with the subject, but I assume that most of Machine Learning is founded heavily on LA.
And, of course, any applications where you need to model some physical reality (scientific computing, physics engines etc.). So try to get a good grasp of it, maybe start a project which would force you to really understand what you are doing. Cherish the time you have now to lay your foundation, doing this properly makes it much easier to progress once you get to the really cool stuff.

A huge chunk of graduate level/research Computer science is basically "doing linear algebra" on computers. Its very important

This

Utterly pointless. You should skip any linear algebra classes.

Don't listen to the memesters trying to convince you otherwise.

Can you elaborate? Maybe post some examples of research?

Linear algebra is probably the only advanced piece of math that is used nearly everywhere both in CS and in math. Also it's not hard

LA is insanely useful. Being able to prove shit about it on the spot isn't, but understanding why/how everything works (through doing proofs) will be.

The math is not hard but the steps and concept is difficult to memorize in under 4 weeks. I guess I'll just review it again on my own time using Kahn Academy videos during the spring.

>You should skip any linear algebra classes.
Are you fucking kidding me? Not knowing linear algebra is like being functionally illiterate.

>Linear algebra
>advanced

>tfw they teach advanced math in highschool

I'm a fucking geology major and I need to use tons of linear algebra. It is literally the most underrated math. I wish they had taught me LA before calculus because holy shit is it more useful than calc

>memorize

You could, like, you know, just maybe, bear with me here pal, I think you could actually learn the thing instead of memorizing it. It's absolutely worthless if you don't understand the subject.

And here's the catch. It's really fucking easy and intuitive too.

Check out this playlist.
youtube.com/watch?v=kjBOesZCoqc&list=PLZHQObOWTQDPD3MizzM2xVFitgF8hE_ab

For CS in general unless you're going into a phd probably not. But the thing is that it comes up a lot in most actual practical applications of CS. AI, computer vision, video games, big data, you name it.

Linear algebra is of foundational importance in many fields, due to several essential properties of matrices. An example would be solving the eigenvalue/eigenvector equation, which among other things yields the energy levels of quantum systems as eigenvalues, and the states as eigenvectors (a superposition over some specified basis). I believe graphics card "flops" and are also essentially just small matrix calculations done very quickly. Discrete Fourier transforms, used for instance in imaging applications, use the diagonalization of unitary matrices. So yeah, pretty important.

I used the word advanced to mean above the level of precalculus. Also they don't teach Jordan forms in high-school, only very basics.

it really depends what you want to do. if you just want to design websites in javascript or whatever then probably not. but if you want to do any kind of scientific computing or data analysis it's pretty essential

10000 times this. He has really interesting and intuitive videos, also on other topics. After 4 years of physics, I feel like I'm actually now truly starting to understand lin alg. The way he explained matrix multiplication really changed my entire view of LA.

A firm understanding of linear algebra will give you a sense for data and the ways it can be transformed
t. math major

This

3blue1brown has amazing videos for getting an intuitive understanding of maths

Type theory and algorithm design/analysis heavily use abstract/linear algebra. For example most optimization algorithms require the solution of some linear system.

>muh sheen lerning
Literally kill yourself, popsci faggot

popsci? nice buzzword
how about you remove everything that uses machine learning from your life? spam filters would be a nice place to start

Take a more advanced class in the spring.