A friend of mine and I were just discussing pic related...

A friend of mine and I were just discussing pic related. He contends that this is some insurmountable task and that the 5 a Day goal is unrealistic for westerners to achieve. I disagree. Also, he's about 50kg/110lbs overweight.

Do you find it difficult to eat 5+ servings of fruits/veg daily? If not, what's a typical day's worth of meals for you like. If so, why do you think you find it difficult to eat fruits and veg?

I find it EZPZ.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/IJGIMd3_LfY?t=1m57s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i often eat vegetables for lunch and dinner, and i can down two apples no problem. so that's 4/5

I find the OP study hard to believe. Why would a fat fucker think it's difficult to eat a few carrots, an apple, a banana and some tomatoes and onions within 24 hours? Makes no sense at all.

It's only difficult if you think carbs should be the largest portion of each meal. I blame the food pyramid

>I find it EZPZ.
Same here. A single "serving" is much less than one might think.

This post makes no sense

I had a peach with my oatmeal fresh basil pesto for lunch and spinach gnocchi over squash peppers and mushrooms for dinner last night. It wasn't hard because I am in the habit of planning and cooking meals. Would have been otherwise.

How so? If you fill up on carbs then you won't have much appetite for your fruits and veg.

His reasoning for 5 a Day being unrealistic is that vegetables "aren't a natural part of the western diet," direct fucking quote. My only response to that was basically 'lolwut?'

Also, he thinks green foods are disgusting and won't eat them and doesn't like most fruits because, outside of chocolate, he doesn't really like sweet things very much. He doesn't eat much chocolate, to his credit.

His fatness is attributable almost exclusively to crisps, chips, fried chicken, caf slop (like bacon and eggs) and cheeseburgers. He won't eat a full breakfast because "beans are disgusting" and he dislikes tomato in all forms. He doesn't even eat ketchup or pasta sauce.
He will, however, eat carrots, but I can't imagine anyone, myself included, would want to eat 400g of carrots in one go or even throughout the day to meet the 400-500g minimum of veg that health agencies recommend.

Dumbcunts who think 5 fruit/veg a day is impossible are probably the same people who think the majority of a meal should be a carb. Their average meal is probably something like meat + large amount of carb + maybe 1 small portion of a vegetable or a side salad if they are 'feeling healthy'. Little do they realise that if they made it the other way around so they filled up on veg and had a side of carb that it goes from being hard to "how do you manage less than 5 fruit/veg per day?".

One peach is only half a serving.

Ultimately, without cheating with things like "fruit juice", "tomato sauce", this isn't an easy thing to do - it amounts to making vegetable sides for every meal of the day.

Vegetables should be in every meal, it's other aspects that should be 'sides'

The handful of mirepoix that makes it into a single serving of a sauce doesn't often make up a whole portion. Likewise it's unlikely people fit a whole portion into a sandwich. A normal western diet just doesn't feature that many vegetables.

It probably should, for sure, but we can't pretend that it doesn't take a lot of work to make that sort of change.

>Dumbcunts who think 5 fruit/veg a day is impossible are probably the same people who think the majority of a meal should be a carb
Carbohydrate intake is associated with a healthier lifestyle, lower body weight and a higher intake of fruits and vegetables, so immediately the statement is pretty silly. Somebody eating fat-free carb-heavy meals would be exactly the type of person to consume vegetables at every meal, and use fruits as snacks.

Furthermore, vegetables provide almost no calories, so the idea that people are struggling to eat vegetables due to a lack of expendable calorie is frankly ridiculous.

The base of any meaningful food pyramid has to be food that provides adequate calories - which vegetables do not. Vegetables are typically a tier 2 item in the food pyramid, which means that they should be consumed in large quantities in addition to the major calories source at the base.

Something that doesn't provide calories cannot be the center of a meal in any meaningful sense, nor can something that provides the bulk of the calories be a side.

Sure it can. A portion of potatoes is going to have more calories than a piece of lean meat, but nobody's going to call it "potatoes with a side of chicken"

According to literally every source I just looked into for what counts as a 5 a Day, you're as full of shit as a scat fetishist.
The NHS themselves say that 'two halves of a peach' (IE 1 whole peach) counts as a serving.
Excluding fruit juice and dried foods, one serving of most fruits and veg is between 80-100g raw.
Fruit juice is limited to be only 1 of your 5 as are dried things like raisins. For juice, its 150ml is a portion and for dried fruits, is 30g, I think.

How?
That's two apples, three small oranges, two whole handfuls of berries, three whole sticks of celery.. Portions are bigger than most people think

To be clear, if you drink, say, 450ml of fruit juice in a day, that doesn't count as 3 servings because fruit juice should only make up one of your 5 a Day. It still counts as only one portion.

I'm suggesting that people who think that it's difficult are the kind of people that don't think veg should be in every meal. I think westerners are all too happy to eat mounds of potatoes whilst eating maybe a couple broccoli heads and a main of say a chicken breast. Big fat amerilards are at no risk of starving themselves if they ate more veg every meal

Aren't potatoes kind of cheating in this case?

I'll take the NHS at their word over some Veeky Forums fatty. You're probably the guy OP is talking about. 50kg overweight... for shame!

If the potatoes are the main part of the meal, yes, it is going to be potatoes with a side of chicken. It just happens to be the case that obese people and the cultures that create them do not center carbohydrates in their meals, so the concept of centering potatoes in a meal and having only a small portion of meat is foreign to them. The potatoes are also going to have fat added to them, so that a more reasonable description of that type of meal would typically be "concentrated fat with chicken fried in fat in a fat sauce, with a side of potatoes (fried in fat or with fat on top of it) ".

Potatoes don't count as a 5 a Day. Sweet potatoes do, though.

Indeed, a lot of brainwashed people were taught things like "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" and the original food pyramid and daily sugar/calorie guidelines. People need to be educated better on nutrition

He was talking about carbs

>The handful of mirepoix that makes it into a single serving of a sauce doesn't often make up a whole portion
Of course not. But that's besides the point. The point is that you should make vegetables the largest proportion of your meal.

A classic western diet most certainly includes plenty of veggies:
-Breakfast often involves fruit either on its own, in a smoothie, as jam on toast, or added to cereal/yogurt/etc. Also OJ is about as stereotypical western breakfast as you can get.

-A sandwich for lunch could contain veggies. Many people eat a salad for lunch. A piece of fruit on the side is very common as well.

-For dinner (or a fancy lunch if you eat out) you can expect at least one full serving of veggies as a side with the meal. Probably more if the meal doesn't suck. A multi-course meal would contain multiple dishes involving vegetables. (Soup, salad, and one or more sides).

Also, many dishes would be loaded with veggies even if they aren't so obvious. A stew ought to contain more veggies than it does meat. The stock used in that stew will have been cooked on a base of veggies a well.

>>we can't pretend that it doesn't take a lot of work to make that sort of change.
It's easy as hell. Make veggies the majority of the ingredients in the dishes you make. Treat meat as a flavor enhancer rather than the mainstay of the meal. Just about any cuisine worldwide does this already. Asian stir-fries use mostly vegetables. Soul food uses a little bit of ham to flavor a bigass pot of greens or beans. Same concept as red beans and rice, jambalaya, stews, etc. Most of the dish is vegetables, a small amount of meat is used to add flavor.

Potato consumption has been decreasing for decades in every western country, and most of those potatoes are consumed with fat (deep-fried, oil, butter, cream etc.)

So no, westerners actually hate eating normal potatoes and rarely do it.

But yes, people who think it's difficult to consume enough vegetables have unhealthy eating patterns - but this is not surprising or insightful.

Potatoes/pasta/rice/bread taters were just an example. I'm not trying to be insightful, just stating the obvious as to why some people think 5 a day is a chore or impossoble.

I eat around 3 whole fruits a day. Getting vegetables is the harder one, since I'm broke nigga.

Spring greens aren't that expensive though. You can get cheap vegetables from frozen or fresh from farmers markets

Your friend sounds like a retarded manchild to be honest user

You can fit about 1 serving of veg into a sandwich. Pretty easily, too, I think. The meager amount of veg on a standard Maccas burger counts as half a serving, believe it or not, though I'm not suggesting you eat ten Maccas cheeseburgers daily to meet your 5 a Day, of course. However, having one burger at lunch and a handful of raisins in that morning's breakfast cereal would, together, count as a serving. Just four more to go! So have a salad instead of french fries, then. Three more to go. Roast chicken for dinner, then. With peas and carrots. Waddayaknow! Another two servings. Have an apple some time during the day and voila: you've met your five a day. And you're probably well under 2000kcal, too.
Let's see. 450 for breakfast. Assume another 250 for morning coffee with a bit of milk. 350 for the lunchtime burger and another 100 for salad with a bit of dressing. 450 for a bit of chicken with peas and carrots. And, finally, 60 or so for the apple. 1660kcal, unless I've fucked my maths. You could have had a second burger or included a portion of fried with lunch, if ya wanted.
It ain't difficult, really.

who gives a shit? If people are such man children that they can't eat vegetables because "dey taste grossss" let them live with their health complications. There is absolutely no difficulty in eating a balanced diet with lots of green vegetables, if you actually cared enough

youtu.be/IJGIMd3_LfY?t=1m57s

Is this your friend?

So by your friend's logic if you can't meet the goal one should give up entirely. lol no wonder he is fat

I was at a grocery store outside of Nashville, Tn last week and heard a 400lb cashier telling her friend who was a customer in front of me that she needs to stop feeding her toddler fruits and vegetables because they cause stomach problems and diarrhoea