If your IQ is above 120 you should consider a career in the sciences else you would be holding humanity back

If your IQ is above 120 you should consider a career in the sciences else you would be holding humanity back.

Other urls found in this thread:

cosmosandhistory.org/index.php/journal/article/viewFile/618/1040
test.mensa.no
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Im a construction worker with 130iq. Feelsgood.

why are u assuming all ppl with high iq are interested in pursuing careers that would further help advance the human race, only a brainlet would want to do such a time-wasting thing.

No thanks

IQ tests are the most American thing of all time, aside from burgers and the flag for every home

All they prove is someone did well on a singular IQ test.

No other country uses them as any basis for intelligence in education systems.

They are redundant and useless.

Basically a dick-measuring contest for kids.

who the fuck takes regular iq tests?

*tips fedora*
holy shit lad, cringe

>a dick-measuring contest for kids.
you already said they were American

This is a fairly dumb thread idea, OP

apply the full range of your faculties next time

>tfw too intelligent for science

What did you think of the OP image?

Veeky Forumstards

fuck all

Why? muh feelios?

Actually that sentiment is too unwarranted now, with the ominous surprises technological progress has for us just around the corner

>tfw 136 iq
>have all these career aspirations
>probably just end up a construction worker like my dad
you are me in the future. how am i doing?

You're talking out of your ass. I'm an American college graduate, and I've never been required to take an IQ test once in 17 years of schooling. IQ tests are not part of the American education system. The only kind of intelligence testing that is done in the public education system is to place advanced kids into higher grade levels and programs with more challenging curriculum, and they aren't IQ tests.

IQ is a reliable predictor of future income levels. That is proven.

>proof
Doesn't exist.

I'm an out-of-work high school English teacher making ends meet working as a grill cook and I have an IQ of roughly 130-140. Now tell me, what exactly am I holding society back from?

I am so smart I can create an autonomous partition within my own brain whenever I like and play twenty questions with it. I always beat it.

But this post proves you're insufferable

Nope.

Educational attainment is more correlated with income than IQ.

Sure, but there is still a correlation

I'm sorry, man. I hope everything works out.

At the age of 5, I took the Kaufman Assessment Battery for Children, scoring 178.
At six, I took the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children, scoring 171.
At nine, I took the Wechsler again, scoring 165.
When I was 19, I took the Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Adults, scoring an IQ of 172.
I've also taken 4 other tests, although in less clinical environments, in total never achieving an IQ below 161, never above 178.
I'm also a fucking idiot.
I'm a two-times university dropout; I'm terrible at arithmetic; I failed freshman calculus twice and also computer science and statistics. Slow reader. Slow learner. Bad memory. Not multilingual. Barely unilingual. Laugh at the most banal toilet humour. Struggle to follow conversations. Struggle to express ideas. I work hard, and I've had all the advantages. I'm just a dummy.
IQ is really great at pinning down two elements of intelligence: pattern recognition and abstract logical reasoning. But there are so many more aspects of intelligence that go unaccounted for in any IQ test. There's short- and long-term memory retention, logical reasoning, reading comprehension, the ability to effectively communicate ideas, observation, inference, skepticism, language acquisition, openness to new ideas; the list of traits which can't be accurately quantified by a single test (especially not in a culture-fair manner) extend very far. This isn't saying that "Oh, IQ tests don't measure if you have good manners or you're good at dancing and those are kind of different forms of intelligence if you ignore the meanings of words." This is saying that the collection of abilities whose behavioural products we collectively term "intelligence" is not fully catalogued, codified, or measured by IQ.
IQ correlates very nicely with income and academic success. Those with high IQs tend to be more likely to earn PhDs and earn high salaries. The same is true if you're over 5'10", have a big dick, or prefer more expensive wines. And pattern recognition and abstract thinking are extremely important skills in certain industries. However, they are never the only skills required, and they are often nearly irrelevant to certain fields.
IQ can also vary wildly based on what you've had to eat for breakfast, how long you slept the night before, how you were raised, whether you're addicted to drugs including alcohol, whether or not you have the sniffles, if you're upset over a personal argument, how satisfied you are with your life lately, and other information irrelevant to your objective intelligence.
Even assuming it were a decent test of intelligence, a high-IQ does not qualify or even necessarily recommend somebody for a career in science. The extremely intelligent and very influential Richard Feynman had an IQ of only 120. Then there's the author of this goofy article, whose IQ is "somewhere between 190 and 210":
cosmosandhistory.org/index.php/journal/article/viewFile/618/1040

you seem very lucid to me but I understand that the social structure isn't set up for outliers but those in the mean. still, it's hard to imagine you would fall very far given the ability to solve abstract problems.

I read somewhere that when you hit a certain IQ, 130 or 140 or something, having higher IQ stops being a big advantage. A 140 IQ guy is about as able as a 160 IQ guy in most cases.

128 food technology here

In the sense of sheer isolation from your peers, I'd guess. I could imagine it being as if everyone you knew acted like a nine-year-old and you were supposed to relate to and respect them, if that analogy makes sense.

From what I've heard, not got much to back this up, around 120 is the sweet spot. Able to get ahead while still being able to effectively communicate with people, and without the isolation or potential for mental illness of higher scores.

Honestly, although I don't put too much thought into it usually, as someone with an IQ of 128, this is one of the few places on the internet I feel I can fit in, which is why I started reading. Most of us are far along the bell curve, but there are still a decent number of us. I'd sympathize with someone much further up.

So what you're saying is you can still be smart and also a lazy fuck. Got it.

>Voluntarily submitting yourself into utilitarian slavery to humanity
Absolute brainlet rationale.

150 on the wisc3, live off the interest on my inheritance.

Guys the last time I had one of these tests I was fifteen and the psychologist said I had an overall score of 110 but scored in the 99th percentile is several areas. I read somewhere that IQ changes rapidly during adolescence, is this true or shouldI kms?

The sciences are rather narrow in focus and scope. I suspect that you are making two errors - saying 'science' when you mean 'engineering and manufacturing', and; assuming that more material goods = moral development.

Want to hear funny?
Let me tell you about two people
My next door neighbor, who is 20
>145 IQ, has been enrolled in a lifelong study of highly gifted people since he was 4; parents say things like 'being smart isn't being correct'.
>Homeschooled with a stay at home mom; in top 0.5% of standardized state tests. Taught himself fluent Latin and classical Greek as hobbies before he was 14. Co-author of three non-fiction books before he was 16
>Enrolled in community college at 16; got his AE at 18 and started working immediately
>Is a marine diesel mechanic, makes $22/hr with great benefits and a huge company contrib to his retirement fund. Owns a used car and lives with his parents as he invests his wages. On track to retire with full benefits and pension at age 40 and have his investments besides.
Me, 20
>110 IQ, whole life parents tell me I am super-smart and I have to go to college. Mom and Dad work hard to afford house in best school district; I have to be in sports, student government, etc. because it all looks good to get into college.
>Bust my ass in public school; parents have mandatory study hours every day to make sure I get top grades.Graduate second in my class, get into really good local private uni so I can live at home and save money
>Parents refuse to let me have a job because it would 'distract me from my studies'. They and I all have to take out loans to afford tuition and fees
>I can't hack the math to be in engineering. The look in my mom's eyes when I only got a C hurt so bad.
>Dad made me declare Business and I am going that route
>Trying to get an internship so I have some experience; none pay
>No car, no money, totally dependent with almost $40k in debt with 2 years to go

My neighbor is really nice - he took me out to lunch last week. he told me another company is trying to hire him; his job would be to fly around the world to fix engines on cruise liners, yachts, and stuff. He thinks with 2-3 years there he'll have the experience to start his own company.
I told my dad. he sneered
>"He doesn't even have a degree. he'll work for you someday"
I'm pretty sure that compared to my neighbor I am retarded

Go get it tested again if you're worried.

If you're too cheap/lazy/don't-give-enough-of-a-shit like me, then use this one test.mensa.no . It's "suppossedly" fairly accurate I can't vouch for it, although not superior to an official one.

I would but I graduated with a useless humanities degree already and in my country, you're fresh out of luck unless you want to self-fund a second degree (£30,000~).

Guess I'll stick to marketing.

>test.mensa.no
I remember that test. I got 135 and I'm still useless and hopeless.

Well, its a measure of potential ability, not actual ability. Essentially processing power. You have to use it for something, you won't just get free stuff for being born smart. Lack of confidence probably isn't helping either.

I got 135 too, Brain Buddy.

>tfw 128

you mean below. Science doesn't like inventive and self-driven people

>it's another retarded IQ thread by insecure teenagers
Stop obsessing. Your potential doesn't matter, your achievements do.

Trivially correlation doesn't imply causation. I've had brilliant friends people drop out of college due to lack of discipline and mediocre fellow students achieve great academically through sheer painstaking.

>143iQ
I was considering audio engineering and revolutionizing the field.

Does Veeky Forums approve of my /mu/tant influenced future?

I have a career in the sciences.

I'm not very good at it.

Fuck, I'm actually 133

I took the test at first thinking you were supposed to answer as fast as possible so I rushed some questions

>tfw 136
kek, plebs.

I have no obligation to further humanity. If they can't save themselves, they deserve death and decline.

>sciences

Indeed, the best aid for humanity at this time would be a chemical production.

user I've spent the past fifteen years holding humanity back by simply existing why would I change my ways now.

>fifteen

I'd like to assume some innocence on my part before I turned three.

>eighteen

Oh, and how will your life be then?

Working for my own benefit and living for my own benefit.

There's a reason why finance is full of the smartest people in the room while science is chock full of sjw pseuds.

>IQ over 170
holy... do you have a pateron?