Longtime lurker here, I guess. Are there any good books by women besides Jane Eyre and Virginia Woolf...

Longtime lurker here, I guess. Are there any good books by women besides Jane Eyre and Virginia Woolf. All the classics seem to be a "refreshing look at female sexuality" and I could not care less about that shit.

Shakespeare and Homer

Ferrante's Neapolitan Novels
Sigrid Undset
Willa Cather
George Eliot

Yourcenar if you don't mind history.

What would you normally read?

>women besides jane eyre and virginia woolf
>jane eyre
Go away Veeky Forums, you only embarrass yourself.

>Yourcenar
I enjoyed memoirs of hadrian, but it reminded me of Graves, ie sort of pop neo-classicism.

I meant Jane Eyre as an example because it's better than all the other Bronte books.

Shut up and read your Sappho, it's a short read anyway.

flannery o'connor

You could try HD, but I'm not sure you'd like her more if you dislike Woolf or the period.

I quite like Graves (more than Hamilton who gets a lot of love here) so I'm probably not the best source. Maybe you could try Hamilton, if you dislike Graves but want a woman?

I'm honestly a newfag when it comes to actually dedicating time to reading literature, but I'm a big fan of Dostoyevsky and Faulkner. I started Confederacy of Dunces and like it. Other than that I like classic sci fi like Asimov and Wolfe (and a few Dean Koontz books because I'm a normie idiot.)

Oh I forgot about her I've loved everything I've read by her.

>All the classics seem to be a "refreshing look at female sexuality" and I could not care less about that shit.
why not try and read them anyways? why let (what i assume is) someone else's interpretation of a book turn you off of it?

The Bell Jar is great. It can never fall into tipsy topsy vapid female literature due to Plath's profound mental illness.

Ann Radcliffe

HD is an imagist, so it's close to Faulkner in places. Unica Zurn is close to their themes and styles too. Zurn's more depressing in general, HD's more style. Both have sexuality bits in them but they're much closer to Dosto/Faulkner's insertions of sex than the YA novel idea of sex where the editor clearly wanted a chapter on it.

Gilman and Tiptree both wrote a lot of early sci-fi/fantasy stories. A few of the most famous ones are early women v men stories, but they're still interesting beyond the female sexuality thing.

All Greece hates
the still eyes in the white face,
the lustre as of olives
where she stands,
and the white hands.

All Greece reviles
the wan face when she smiles,
hating it deeper still
when it grows wan and white,
remembering past enchantments
and past ills.

Greece sees, unmoved,
God's daughter, born of love,
the beauty of cool feet
and slenderest knees,
could love indeed the maid,
only if she were laid,
white ash amid funereal cypresses.

NIGHTWOOD

It's not just books by women I just don't care for stories about infidelity and marriage issues and all that. They're all stuff I've heard before. I've heard good things about Fear of Flying and that's one I would read if I ever wanted to read something like that.

Cynthia Ozick, Penelope Fitzgerald, M.F.K. Fisher, Nancy Mitford, Marghanita Laski are merely the first five to come to mind.

Anna Kavan, Violette Leduc, Marguerite Duras, Ágota Kristóf, Clarice Lispector, Christa Wolf, Fleur Jaeggy, Mina Loyd, Unica Zurn, Ann Quin,

>Cynthia Ozick
>good, or even decent

lmao

what a qt fox

if ur American, read women published by New DIrections and if you are french, read women published by Gallimard and Fata Morgana

The Bell Jar

Doris lessing

good list
i would add Magda Szabo, Danielle Collobert, Myunk Mi Kim, Theresa Hak Kyung Cha, Claude Cahun, Leonora Carrington, Gertrude Stein, Djuna Barnes

Same user, but who are you to know who Danielle Collobert is /has never encountered anyone else/

no one special
I think I stumbled on her through goodreads
It Then is one of my favorite works of post war poetry

She's a sharp essayist. Fame & Folly and Metaphor and Memory are very good volumes.

Same here (goodreads) looking forward to reading Murder.

It Then and the Notebooks, I loved them both

Isn't the Wuthering Heights okay?

its okay

>pic related
Only thing I've read of Ozeki, it's in my top 5

The Brontes, Sylvia Plath, Mary Shelley, Ayn Rand.

Not ayn rand

Tatyana Tolstaya

Flannery
Marilynne Robinson
Anna Kavan
George Eliot
Gertrude Stein

for short stories, Lorrie Moore and Alice Munro