Hey guys, so I was thinking of giving a girl I'm dating a book of poetry...

Hey guys, so I was thinking of giving a girl I'm dating a book of poetry, and I was really considering Petrarch because he's my favorite romantic poet ever, but then I realized that would be incredibly autistic.

He's kinda too archaic for her tastes, and a lot of it is more sad, fatalistic, pining and forever alone-ing than the honeymoon period I would hope we're approaching.

I know a few poets, but most of them are really edgy shit like Ginsberg or Eliot or Joyce. What romance poetry would you recommend I give to a girl who's slightly dyslexic and who's favorite book is Fahrenheit 451? Books are also acceptable.

>inb4 Shakespeare's sonnets

Other urls found in this thread:

poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/browse?contentId=15345
twitter.com/AnonBabble

See if you can find one of Jan LaPerle or Emilia Philips's books on Amazon. Or Matt Hart. Contemporary is definitely the way to go here.

ee cummings. There should be readily available collections of his romantic poetry.

more like e e cumming on her face

Rita Dove, the single greatest poet to ever grace the classrooms of the american high school.

obviously the cantos by e-z POUND

Nice try.

E E Cummings is nice enough. Maybe a bit impersonal, but I could make it work.

With these guys I'll probably be going in blind, but I can definitely try.

A collection of James Joyce's love letters. If she's into literature, and into you, then you're fucking *set* with that.

rainer maria rilke bitch

I like the way you think but she's like a feminist and stuff and this is a bit overkill.

Perhaps once I get a better grasp of her kinks.

What about walt whitman, heard he was pretty good.

my sonnets desu

I love Whitman, but from what I've read his poetry isn't quite the romantic stuff I'm looking for.

It's really an overplayed meme generally used by awful people, but wouldn't writing sonnets for someone else to use be a form of cuckoldry.

my sonnets are for everyone, i'm an artist

Fair enough. I might consider it. So far I'm split between falling back on Shakespeare or going in blind with 's suggestions.

meant
's suggestions.

here's a nice little poem

poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/browse?contentId=15345

Bukowski

Dante's La Vita Nuova

good Christ no. don't do this OP. Bukowski is angry and shallow, without the skill to even make it interesting.

Please don't respond to this thread with pseud opinions

who was it you meant to reply to with this post?

Don't worry, I'm aware, and even if I did like him, I'd hardly give him to my gf.

This looks interesting. Maybe too archaic, but interesting for me at least.

>Petrarch
>E.E. Cummings
>Shakespeare
>Dante
How old are you? Do you really think any girl is going to interested in reading poetry she already read in highschool?

girls love Sir Phillip Sidney Though

I'm the fella that suggested the contemporary poets. Ill just reiterate once more that those are all three really excellent poets and I really think, based on my own experiences of giving poetry to women that I've dated, that these are gonna be your safest bet.

Give her the gift of Rumi

Where did you go to high-school? Certainly not in the US.

I'll admit Cummings is rather high school-ish and basic, and that's dissuading me from including him.

I listed Shakespeare as something I didn't want to fall back on.

Not super familiar with him but I've heard good things about Rumi.

You guy.

The Prophet by Khalil Gibran. not exactly poetry but close enough.

I found this book a while back. Is it good? It's thin and the line spacing is huge, so it's tiny.

it's probably not what most of Veeky Forumsis into but it's very well written - kind of in a KJV style - and says a lot for something so short. mostly a collection of aphorisms on various aspects of life. look up a few quotes and see if you like them, the chapters are short so you could read two or three entirely to get an idea of the general tone and not waste more than ten minutes.

I sometimes wish I had a gf and a social life. However, then I remember that life is a privilege for average men.

sometimes i wish i had gf but then i realize my phone is full of numbers girls gave me but i never text any of them, then i realize i guess i don't really want a gf after all

OP here. I would call myself fairly below average, practically subhuman. However I've found that by simply (ignoring/ overcoming) your depression (your choice), and accepting the neuroses and faults in your partners, you too can find an honestly pretty stellar bf or gf.

Why would I want to become mediocre and get a life? No, I shall not shy away from my destiny and become average.

Why not give her some Shelley?
And the sunlight clasps the earth
And the moonbeams kiss the sea:
What is all this sweet work worth
If thou kiss not me?

>slightly dyslexic
>favorite book is 451
M8, she's better off getting Bukowsi.

Yeah, that's poetry in motion

When in doubt:
The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam

NERUDA, are you stupid?