youtube.com/watch?v=7dFFEBnY0Bo
chefknivestogo.com/fujiwara2.html
youtube.com/watch?v=bPFNhqLKsW8
chefknivestogo.com/moritaka8.html)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>sanmai stainless wagyuto
>no machi
>stamping the name of your steel into the blade
that's going to be cringey as fuck when memesters have stopped liking HAP40 knives because Williams-Sonoma started selling them

Wa handled knives should be with hagane from hitachi metals ltd, specifically aogami, shirogami, or AS. Occasionally exceptions may be granted on a case by case basis for such accidents as V2 by takefu special steel co ltd or, obviously, tama hagane made by approved methods.

Anyone attempting to affix a wa handle to a blade of any stainless or PM steel deserves to be struck by lightning

Keep that thing bone dry or it'll turn into rust in minutes.

Is that not stainless steel? Looks like stainless steel. My Japanese knife autism is rather minimal so I have no idea what anyone is talking about.

Don't leave your knife in water or allow it to be wet. Is that hard to conceive?

it is stainless steel. well, semi-stainless anyway. and don't worry no one on Veeky Forums has any idea what they're talking about so you're in good company. let's now talk about how op's knife is folded 40,000 times because japanese steel is low quality, and then maybe my ikea knife and martha stewart pan make me a better cook because nice things are a scam

Only weak manlets need their knives to be sharp.

Case in point:
youtube.com/watch?v=7dFFEBnY0Bo

Question is.. How long do they stay sharp?

video is from 2016. why does he have 2003 emo hair?

inb4 alt-right retard starts shrieking about "current year" and carl the cuck

things change, neckbeards

Redpill me on good knives, right now all I have is a 20ish cm elcheapo from Asda and sharpening it isn't doing the trick anymore.

What are some good brands to start with/properties to look out for?

Like everything else the solution to a broad question that seems complicated is a series of smaller steps that solve specific problems

In your case I'd start with defining "isn't doing the trick anymore"

Unless you just want to drop a lot of money for no reason in which case I recommend Sakai Takayuki Syousin Blue Frost Blue 1 Mizu-Honyaki Kiritsuke Yanagiba

>redpill
No. Fuck off.

Can you even chop anything harder than broccoli without chipping the blade?

Awwww, baby need his milk?

All I read was
>weeaboo weeaboo weeaboo weeaboo weeaboo weeaboo weeaboo

Translation pls

Some weeb is triggered someone used traditional Japanese octogonal wood handle (Wa handle) on a blade that isn't made of metal of his personal approval.

He then goes on to say his personally approved metals are from Hitachi Metals, Ltd. of Minato, Tokyo, Japan, unaware that HAP-40 is also a Hitachi Metals product.

Of course, in Japan, nobody gives two fuck about what type of handle is on what metal blade, and Japanese knifemakers will offer various blades (made of both metals of Japanese or non-Japanese origin) with both western and Wa handles.

This baka doesn't realize that Hitachi metals makes aogami, shirogami, and AS

Also just because some people do something doesn't make it ok. The op's knife is, in fact, Japanese, in case you couldn't figure it out from the moon runes. Wa handles represent a nod to old timey traditional construction. You buy them for stylistic value, they have drawbacks and they are not a knife you should select to rape 50 pounds of onions an hour as a line cook. Maybe you do, and that's your mistake, but you should have a western handle knife for that.

Intentionally choosing a wa handle and combining with an ultra-modern sintered steel is half assing it. Like putting a gated gearbox on a modern high performance race car, or plugging a digital source into a tube amp, it just shows you don't know have a coherent goal and you're just picking characteristics at random to be "unique".

So let us be clear here: what's acceptable on a wa handled knife may include kasumi, honyaki, nashiji, and k-u blades, manually forged, manually heat treated, non-stainless steel.

Just as I strongly disapprove of carbon steel on western handled knives (except actual vintage knives), I disapprove of stainless on wa handles, nogent handles, and anything else old-timey. Pick your preference and go with it. Mixed metaphors are an abomination in the eyes of the lord. Pic related, just because Japanese people do it doesn't make it ok.

i just use a regular knife from the store and it cuts everything pretty easily. do people get expensive knives because they have a hard time cutting their food? i got my knives at target and you can cut all food with them

go back to /pol/ you fucking retard, this is a sensible (ie not fucking right wing nazi bullshit) boARD

>i just use a regular knife from the store
Where else would they come from?
>do people get expensive knives because they have a hard time cutting their food?
All but 2 of my knives were under $100, what's your definition of "expensive"? I got them because they are better at holding an edge, they look nicer, and they are more pleasurable to cut with.

i bet they're the same as like a regular steak knife from target. i think you're getting scammed, sorry.

Yes. I regret my purchases. Nice things are a scam.

>stupid question
>schizophrenic rant about neckbeards and the alt-right boogeyman
Thank you for contributing to this thread.

Rockwell C
or
Rockwell B
or
one of the other less common Rockwell standards like T?

Also don't care given it hard enough to do the job.

And my blade scales 1676 (Rockwell C theoretical, given null past 100 for 0 measure input). Secret is directional dependent Lonsdaleite nano rods.

>And my blade scales 1676 (Rockwell C theoretical, given null past 100 for 0 measure input). Secret is directional dependent Lonsdaleite nano rods.

>pretending that other people know what that means

HURRRR DURRRR IM A PARROT GUYS I CAN FLY

Sure I am working on a PhD in Material science. But honestly this kind of stuff was covered in the undergraduate degree interest meeting.

Although the actual setup for testing and calculating the theoretically expanded values was in Material Properties and Characterization Testing Methods Lab 347, which is still an undergrad course. Which I didn't bother to include in the posts, because they are kind of dull and everyone only cares about the results.

Also I don't own a parrot. They are a pain given how long they live, my area requires you have a legal will to address them. Like I am bother to learn pet inheritance laws to get a bird. I got research to do!

I wish i was autistic enough to go for a PhD

>I have arbitrarily divided materials into traditional and non-traditional, and I hearby use my authority as a Level 90 Weeb to forbid Japanese artisans from using non-traditional metal with Wa handle.

HAP-40 isn't stainless btw, fatty.

12% body fat, try again

And semi stainless is still stainless

>>pretending that other people know what that means
Why would that matter? If someone didn't know what that means they could simply google it.

Do you just give up when you see a word you don't understand or do you fucking look it up and educate yourself?

chefknivestogo.com/fujiwara2.html

A few years ago I was recommended this knife by a lot of you guys. Thoughts now? I'm finally able to purchase a good knife and don't want to fuck up.

Get it from JCK instead

It's a high speed tool steel which can be ran hard for edge retention while still retaining toughness. If you tend to abuse knives (hitting bone, cutting where you shouldn't, etc) it will be for you.
Fucking weebs will be still ree'ng over it but oh well. The knife industry is changing. I have a barlow with titanium handles and m390. Purists will scoff because no nickel silver or brass or 1095.

Just noticed it's SK4

That shit is reactive as fuck, even after a patina. In its favor it's incredibly easy for a beginner to sharpen and get a really good edge, though it doesn't retain the edge as well as higher end carbon steels like aogami and shirogami. If you're preparing a lot of reactive vegetables that will be served raw, you may want to consider something stainless to avoid unsightly grey residue. If the chopped onions are just going in a big pot, or you're mostly cutting meat with it, then it's nothing to worry about

Also

>western handle
>carbon steel

It's cheap so I'll give it a waiver on my autism

I feel like the overwhelming vast majority of Veeky Forums has no idea what the fuck they're talking about when it comes to knives or steel. There is nothing wrong with HAP-40, since the discovery of ironworking knives have been made of carbon steel and for thousands of years they've worked pretty good.

Sperging on about how using a different kind of handle with a knife of a slightly different metal composition is pretty fucking stupid and autistic since it's has absolutely no impact on the utility of the knife in any appreciable way.

I could make a knife out of an old coil spring from a old VW bus, slap some jap runes on it and you fags wouldn't be able to tell the difference with a gun to your head.
Then it would be called stainless steel.

>Then it would be called stainless steel.
You're such a sperg, I bet you're that guy who freaks out over suminagashi being referred to as "damascus"

It's 5% chromium and 5% moly, that's basically stainless proportions of non-corrosive alloying elements

I like how HAP40 is "basically traditional metal" when it suits your agenda but "totally not stainless because it falls short on ISO specifications for chromium content" when you feel like it

>It's 5% chromium and 5% moly, that's basically stainless proportions of non-corrosive alloying elements
But it's still not stainless. Stainless steel has a definition. It's like saying a v6 engine is a v8 because it *almost* as as many cylinders so it's the same thing.
>
I like how HAP40 is "basically traditional metal" when it suits your agenda but "totally not stainless because it falls short on ISO specifications for chromium content" when you feel like it
It's a special carbon steel clad in a stainless steel damascus. I honestly don't give two shits about weeb knives or cooking knives in general beyond "Can it cut shit?" Fuck, I made my own knives out of junk and scrap so I don't even have a dog in this race.

>nice things are a scam
Uhmm try again sweetie

Steel needs to have at least 12 percent chromium alloyed in it to be stainless,but something like 18%Chomium+8%nickle would be more suitable.

>But it's still not stainless. Stainless steel has a definition.
It's powdered high speed tool steel and 10% of it is something other than iron and carbon. It's only "not stainless" on a hair-splitting technicality, it's got all the properties (and then some) of any modern stainless steel from a functional point of view, and it's about as far from white #2 as anyone is going to find in a metal bladed kitchen knife
> It's like saying a v6 engine is a v8
Bad. A better analogy would be if someone stuck a W-8 in an econo box and I said "it's stupid to put a V-8 in an econo box" and you started screeching autistically about how technically a W-8 is not a V-8. You're missing the forest for the trees.
> I honestly don't give two shits about weeb knives
Your anime picture and extreme anger over this topic would suggest otherwise.

> It's only "not stainless" on a hair-splitting technicality, it's got all the properties (and then some) of any modern stainless steel from a functional point of view, and it's about as far from white #2 as anyone is going to find in a metal bladed kitchen knife
There is a definition for what stainless steel actually is. You saying that the definition doesn't matter, doesn't actually make it not true.
>You're missing the forest for the trees.
You're the one who's misunderstanding rather basic metallurgic terms.
>Your anime picture and extreme anger over this topic would suggest otherwise.
I may be a weeb but I don't give a shit about weeb knives. I'm not the one autistically insisting that steels with less than 10.5% chromium are still stainless steel.

>There is a definition for what stainless steel actually is
Sure and a definition for what "damascus steel" is too. I'm sure you've got a tab open on bladeforums where you're screeching autistically about that, the rest of the universe had come to accept a bit of slop in how these terms are applied. We're talking about aesthetic choices here, not ISO certifications
>You're the one who's misunderstanding rather basic metallurgic terms.
The basic terms themselves are given to misunderstanding considering that "stainless" steel that meets the technical definition can still rust. A better term would be "stain resistant" but I don't suppose that bothers you as much, because the important thing is that you can point to a term in a published book of guidelines and that makes you "win" stupid internet debates
>I may be a weeb but I don't give a shit about weeb knives.
And yet, you're still posting

Hair splitting technicality my ass. You might have an argument if it contained 11.9% chromium instead of 12%, but 5% is nowhere fucking close to 12%....especially in the context of alloys where very small % changes can have a huge effect on the properties of the finished product.

>>nice things are a scam
>posts image of a scam

5% chromium and 5% moly = 10%, which is pretty close to 12%

The "must have 12% chromium to be called stainless" is an antiquated guideline from an era when stainless steel was considerably more primitive than it is today. It's like how beef quality is still graded on fat content in the carcass even though some of the shittiest beef has a ton of fat and some of the best beef has relatively low amounts of fat, due to modern farming techniques

nice imperfect loop fucker

Just because the standard may be antiquated doesn't mean it's not still the standard.

I'm not disagreeing about the standard being old. But that's an entirely different argument than whether or not a standard is met.

But again, I was making a point about wa handles and the related aesthetic choices, whether HAP40 technically meets the ISO criteria for "stainless steel" is beside the point. It's an absurdly modern, no-compromise high performance corrosion-resistant steel, with a rat tail tang, glued into a traditionalist buffalo horn and laquered wood handle that wouldn't look out of place in a period samurai film.

The ridiculousness should be self-evident but here we are, splitting hairs over the exact chromium content.

>it's stainless because I say so even though it's not
ok

>Sure and a definition for what "damascus steel" is too
Damascus is a term easy for a layman to understand, it's not a technical term. It's a way of prettying up the phrase "Pattern welded steel of dissimilar alloying contents that form attractive contrasting colors" the word "Damascus" rolls off the tongue slightly easier
> I'm sure you've got a tab open on bladeforums where you're screeching autistically about that
Nope, I blacksmith for fun not to be an autist about it
> the rest of the universe had come to accept a bit of slop in how these terms are applied
Right, like how vegans can eat meat and how Turkeys are a kind of chicken
> A better term would be "stain resistant" but I don't suppose that bothers you as much, because the important thing is that you can point to a term in a published book of guidelines and that makes you "win" stupid internet debates
You mean I correctly label a material and that somehow offends you? Are you upset that brass isn't bronze?
>thing is that you can point to a term in a published book of guidelines and that makes you "win" stupid internet debates
>And yet, you're still posting
Do you even know where you are? Having stupid pointless arguments is the entire point of this stupid fucking website.
>5% chromium and 5% moly = 10%
molybdenum doesn't magically convert into chromium
>which is pretty close to 12%
Yeah and .01% carbon is pretty close to 2% carbon steel

Alright thanks a lot for the info senpai. I didn't read anything about that from my googling and that site is much cheaper.

Whats the best Japanese chef knife/gyuto I can buy on Amazon for less than $300?

For that price, you can get Masamoto VG, which is probably the best mass-produced stainless gyuto.

I don't understand the massive wankfest over steel hardness. Practically speaking, the differences to performance are minute. Anyone this deep into knife performance and construction should also know how to sharpen, so... what's the big issue?

I wonder which one of you assholes can even move a knife properly. Have even one of you created anything with a sharp object?

I chopped up some salami for a cheese and mayonnaise sandwich just last night. How 'bout that, punk?

are you going to answer the question or just be a braindead piece of shit?

youtube.com/watch?v=bPFNhqLKsW8

As autistic as you are, I'm afraid I agree with you. Fixing a Wa handle onto any knife with any steel will inevitably turn the Wa style into a meme, is it isn't already

I like octo grips, and although I put my own on I like having one on stock knives. My gihei hap40 gyuto works a bloody treat and has an off-round we handle. Sukenari make some awesome sharps, especially their ZDP and honyaki stuff.
Stainless is a spectrum, the carbon and alloying content of a steel determines where
HAP40 happens to be somewhere in the middle; will develop a patina readily but will not rust without serious exposure to acids or water
Get a whetstone and a local shop, learn what yr doing. Kanetsune, tojiro, and kohetsu all do pretty nice and decently affordable stuff
Ease, speed, and enjoyment
For a high performance gyuto, try a gihei hap40 or sukenari ones. Something more traditional; moritaka are gr8

>Stainless is a spectrum
Captain autism seems to have died because I don't hear any screeching and it's been 2 hours

He might be doing some "luthiering."

Rockwell hardness rating

I'm really liking how the Moritaka AS Gyuto 240mm (chefknivestogo.com/moritaka8.html) looks. Any thoughts on it?

The issue with something that hard is it's going to chip like a motherfucker with any kind of shock.

I came from /k/ because I like knifes and saw this on popular thread. WTF, you know more about knifes than half /k/. Also that shit is sharp as fuck, I didn't know that kitchen knifes were that sharp. Is food really that difficult to cut properly?

It's not that it's difficult to cut, it's that generally, if you're buying knives like that, you want to be able to make very fine, precise cuts easily. Also if you work in a kitchen you might be cutting stuff for hours at a time, so you want that to be low effort and you don't want to lose your edge too quickly.

Won these as a door prize last Christmas.

Am I weabo?

what the fuck even is this post?

What would you say is the ideal steel hardness? My opinion is 60-62. Hard enough to take an acute angle of ~15-12 degrees, but not so hard that it will chip if you slip and hit something other than your chopping board

Hunting/survival knives are meme fodder, kitchen knives are srs biznis

>Is food really that difficult to cut properly?
Some can be. Cutting soft fish or fruit without distorting the same requires a very sharp knife. So do tasks like removing the skin from fish fillets, slicing tomatoes without mushing them, trimming fat and connective tissue from meat, etc.

Also, a sharp knife lets you work a lot faster in the kitchen than a dull one.

>Also, a sharp knife lets you work a lot faster in the kitchen than a dull one.

This. Try dicing a few chicken breasts with a blunt knife. Not fucking fun - the chicken'd sooner take pity on you and fall apart by itself

I think it's silly to discuss hardness as as a generalization. It depends on the type (purpose) of knife as well as the edge geometry (bevel).

A cleaver, deba, or other knife meant for heavy chopping needs a lower hardness so it doesn't chip when it hits bone.

A special purpose knife, like one for sushi or dedicated vegetable use can have a much harder edge because nobody is going to be chopping with it and thus chipping is no concern at all.

A general purpose chef's knife would be somewhere in the middle. Since it might be used for light chopping it needs a less brittle edge than a sushi knife. But it doesn't need the durability of a full-bore cleaver.

>cktg
no

What's a good babby's first chef knife that can be purchased on Amazon?