Anyone use a food processor? I'm thinking about getting one so I can prep a bunch of veggies in the weekend

Anyone use a food processor? I'm thinking about getting one so I can prep a bunch of veggies in the weekend.

I have one but I don't us it for "vegetable prep" much. Mostly for hummus or bread dough. Sometimes pesto or something along those lines.

I didn't amass $1500 worth of fine Japanese cooking knives just to throw everything in a plastic bin and hit "blend"

True it might slow down my knife training but I'm a bachelor I don't have time to cook.

bachelors have the most time to cook you fucking retard, you don't have a wife/kids who demand 90% of your free time.

Cut him some slack, he's got his hands full managing 12 open tabs on 4chins

Nope

I slice carrots every day... A fp that has the slicing attachment would be hella useful. do in seconds what takes me 1-2 minutes to do.

>get the slicing attachment out
>clean it afterwards
It doesn't save time if you're only slicing a few carrots.

I have one and I appreciate having it when I need it, but I don't really use it for anything I could reasonably do by hand instead

So mine only came with a slicing blade and a shredder blade. Do you anons ever use any other blades that you would recommend?

What, you mean like chop up a bunch of vegetables over the weekend to use throughout the week? Go ahead if you want bland flavor just to save about 20 seconds of chopping you fucking lazy piece of shit.

Maybe get a mandoline or benriner instead.
Store cut carrots & celery in water so it doesn't dry out.
That's really all you need. And probably all there is.

Dough blade. Any decent food processor will come with one.

true, but slicing carrots also requires focus, and I've also cut myself bad doing it.

This.
The only time I use a food processor is if I need to chop a lot of veggies for immediate use, and only if the quality of the chopping doesn't matter, like for use in a soup that will later be pureed.

For most dishes it's faster to use the knife and cutting board than it is to get out the food pro, set it up, use it, then take it apart, clean, and put away again.

>true, but slicing carrots also requires focus
How does it require any more "focus" than using a food processor?

>>and I've also cut myself bad doing it.
sharpen your knife so it doesn't slip, learn how to properly hold your hand when cutting veggies. Problem solved.

It won't work like that unless you plan on cooking them soon, freezing them, or pickling them. Sliced vegetables go bad quickly. Like another user mentioned, they're useless if you only need a few veggies or hate dicing. Alternatively you could use that reasoning as an excuse to add more veggies to your dishes. I have a two cup one I don't really use much, but it's useful when I need it.

The only problem I ever have slicing carrots is when the fucking piece you just sliced off goes flying across the kitchen for no goddamned reason. How do you avoid this?

fp is faster and safer. done.

stop buying magic carrots

>How do you avoid this?

Use a thinner knife. A thick knife acts like a wedge which can send thicker/stiffer foods like carrots flying. That's why knives for veggie prep have a thin spine. You can also put something on your cutting board, like a dish towel, so if any pieces go flying off then they will hit the towel and say put instead of skittering across the floor somewhere.

>fp is faster
You have awful knife skills, or a dull as fuck knife. (I guess that lack of sharpening also falls under bad knife skills)

I'm nowhere near a pro cook but I can chop or slice the veggies for a nomal meal in less time than it takes to even get the food processor out of the cabinet and install the correct configuration of blades in it, nevermind the time to clean it and put it away.

have you ever cut yourself doing that?

Nope. Last time I cut myself was when I was 11 in boy scouts. Turns out whittling with a dull pocketknife is a bad idea.

If you have a sharp knife and you hold it properly it's virtually impossible to cut yourself in the kitchen. That's because the fingers on your non-cutting hand should never be under or in front of your knife blade.

If you need help with knife technique then I highly recommend La Technique by Jacques Pepin.

>durr sharp knives are safer
Said the guy who doesn't cook.

Real talk: if you're not cutting yourself at least once or twice a year, you aren't cooking much or your knives aren't nearly as sharp as you think. A truly sharp knife will draw blood from the most casual inadvertent contact with the edge. And if you have gone for years and years without a knife making you bleed, you're subsisting on takeout and dino tendies, guaranteed. Don't even try to deny it. This is a fact.

The "dull knives are dangerous" meme is a useful teaching aid for young children. It's useful because it gets them to think about how knives work, but beyond that it quickly outlives its usefulness. You minimize (note I didn't say "avoid") cuts, and their severity, by diligence, sobriety, and technique.

The idea that you can cook seriously without *ever* cutting yourself is like pretending you can seriously practice a sport without *ever* injuring yourself.

Thanks, I'll give that a try next time.

i have a small one i use to make sauces with

>A truly sharp knife will draw blood from the most casual inadvertent contact with the edge

I'm well aware. I simply avoid inadvertent contact with the blade. As you said: diligence, and technique.

>>The idea that you can cook seriously without *ever* cutting yourself is like pretending you can seriously practice a sport without *ever* injuring yourself.

I agree. I never stated I wouldn't ever cut myself. I simply answered user's question regarding when the last time was. There's no doubt in my mind that it will happen sometime in the future. The question is only when.

As for the "dull knives are dangerous", I belive that. I have seen it happen to many of my previous roomates and family members.
>person tries to cut round or cylindrical food with dull knife
>knife won't cut so they press harder
>the round food rolls out from under the knife and the knife hits their hand.

I suppose part of that is also technique related--pressing straight down instead of using a slicing motion--but I have witnessed the above on several occasions. Usually with onions. Sometimes with sweet potatoes or carrots.

not 12 but close

They are great when you need to work up a few bushels of veggies quickly or have arthritis. That is their proper use after all.

>sissy thread
turn back before it's too late

[spoiler]too late im already a degenerate, im currently in chastity[/spoiler]

I've never seen a food processor with dough hooks. Food processors are geared for speed, rather than torque: the opposite of what you need for dough.

Now, a bowl mixer? That'll come with dough hooks, and be good for making dough.

A dough blade is not a dough hook, and all food processors I've ever seen come with a dough blade

They're not a substitute for a stand mixer but unless you're making bread every day, they're a reasonable alternative

Bread is an addictive poison at any rate, fine for an occasional treat but you really should not be eating it to satisfy nutritional requirements on an ongoing basis

Blade, not hook.

They are usually plastic and are smaller in diameter than the full-size blade. That helps give them more torque because the radius isn't quite so large.

Of course it's not a substitute for a proper stand mixer for many baking tasks, but there are many doughs you can make well in a food processor. I use mine for choux pastry.

Just google "food processor dough blade". In my experience any decent food processor comes with one. The cheap shit from Walmart may not, but the decent stuff does.

>Bread is an addictive poison at any rate, fine for an occasional treat but you really should not be eating it to satisfy nutritional requirements on an ongoing basis

Wrong, my breakfast was this:

boards.Veeky Forums.org/ck/thread/9380365#p9380385

fuck you 4chins, work damm you

You do you ya little degenerate. I won't pretend to understand your weird fetish, but I have my own weird fetishes so whatever. At least you're not a footfag.

>Tim Hortons thread witnessed
Gotta go

>Bread is an addictive poison at any rate, fine for an occasional treat but you really should not be eating it to satisfy nutritional requirements on an ongoing basis
Bread is great. The problem is, people eat bread in addition to other rich food, like fatty meats, oils, cheeses, nut butters, jams, sauces, etc.
I eat tons of bread, but the rest of my diet is low fat and high in fiber. bread is a rich food and it is the oompf of my diet that gives me the energy I need.

No, sorry, but bread, wheat generally in fact, is really not an optimal source of carbohydrates. Whenever I spend a few days eating bread or pasta instead of rice, I feel like shit. Whereas with rice, I feel great.

Now, there are some ancient cultivars which don't have this problem, but they are rather expensive and do not have the delicious taste of say, 00 flour for instance.

I love wheat, don't get me wrong. But I cannot get more than 5-10% of my total carbs from wheat products or I feel awful.

Now you can shriek at me and say glutenfag, Gwyneth Paltrow, antivax, whatever. I am not against bread, I'm just explaining why most people other than professional bakers have no need for an actual dough hook and stand mixer.

rice plugs me up. I hate it, and it is nutritionally inferior to wheat.