Cormac McCarthy - Blood Meridian
Thomas Pynchon - The Crying of Lot 49
Thomas Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow
Thomas Pynchon - Mason & Dixon
Philip Roth - American Pastoral
Philip Roth - Sabbath's Theater
Philip Roth - Zuckerman Bound

why is he wearing those headphones the wrong way

So Harold Bloom is a third year English student?

In his most recent interview he said Clarissa was the best novel he ever read.

>So according to Harold Bloom

Stopped reading.

>Clarissa
>Contemporary

>Clarissa
>1748

>contemporary

Thought it was interesting and no one ever brings it up desu.

Those are his favourite contemporary AMERICAN novels. There are plenty of new writers from other places he likes.

>longest novel in the English language
dude is just simultaneously dickwaving and trying to insulate himself from criticism

that said, i feel like i have to read that shit now

>Clarissa, or, the History of a Young Lady is an epistolary novel by Samuel Richardson, published in 1748. It tells the tragic story of a heroine whose quest for virtue is continually thwarted by her family, and is regarded as the longest novel in the English language (based on estimated word count).
>regarded as the longest novel in the English language (based on estimated word count).

That's the only thing you need to know to understand why he regards it as his favourite novel.

This is the same idiot who claimed to have once been able to read 1000/hour. He's the original "My dad works at Nintendo" one-upping retard.

I haven't read him comment on contemporary fiction beyond his favorites, a few others like Munro, and writers he dislikes like Franzen and Wallace. Does he ever read a lot of current fiction?

Isn't he a meme?

>born into relative poverty
>works hard to get into excellent Ivy English programs
>so astounding at English Literary studies that he immediately gets a position from Yale
>receive the MacArthur Genius Grant
>Yale wants to keep him so badly they make him the chair of a single-seat department (since he couldn't get along with the modern Yale English department)
>write over 40 books while teaching

All just to get called a "meme" by some unknown lard-bucket on an anime imageboard. Fuck you.

>That order
You know Blood Meridian is his #1, stop.

it's just jewish privilege, if a gentile did that it might be impressive

ay yi yi

>muh fuggin jooish mans
>muh fuggin wyt mans
Horseshoe theory is still absurd and false, right?

So he isn't. Thanks for answering man

>No Russians.
>100% MERICAN authors.

Americans are so insecure about their literature. They cannot compete.

There hasnt been a good russian novelist since Bulgakov died

Harold Bloom is a fucking idiot honestly

Speaking of which it's only natural that (((Harold "Stephen King > David Foster Wallace" Bloom))) likes (((Philip Roth))).

If anyone else told me this I would say, 'you need to read more you pleb,' but I know for a fact that Bloom is well read. Maybe he's just a massive pleb.

Ever heard of Nabokov?

>Of American novelists, he declared in 2003 that "there are four living American novelists I know of who are still at work and who deserve our praise".[40] He claimed that "they write the Style of our Age, each has composed canonical works," and he identified them as Thomas Pynchon, Philip Roth, Cormac McCarthy, and Don DeLillo. He named their strongest works as, respectively, Gravity's Rainbow, The Crying of Lot 49 and Mason & Dixon; American Pastoral and Sabbath's Theater; Blood Meridian; and Underworld.

Bloom never said they were his favourite contemporary novelists period. He said they're his favourite contemporary AMERICAN novelists. OP left things out.

Is that jew Philip Roth a really good writer?

it's just alphabetical by author, user

true;
also in How to read and why he adds to that list the aforementioned Zuckerman Bound

t. Bloom

(Who moved to the USA to avoid being associated with the scumhole of 20th century Russia.)

He didn't consider himself an "American" but he sure as shit didn't consider himself a Russian.