Something in the literary department, and just online writing in general, has annoyed me over the years

Something in the literary department, and just online writing in general, has annoyed me over the years.

"Sure."

I really, really hate this word when people are writing these days, whether it's for an article or in a discussion.

"So, this guy shouldn't have had a gun in the first place. Sure, gun regulations are pretty good, but..."

It's like they are taking the non responsible term of "sure" and adding it to their responses as if to shoot down any kind of counter point. It's pretty annoying of a phrase and really makes the person seem a lot more anal than they are not trying to be.

This has to have been an increase lately through this culture of writing and debating responses, as if they are pre emptively shutting down any kind of discourse to what they're saying.

Debates accomplish nothing. You realise this once you become an adult.

It accomplishes nothing if your measurement of accomplishment is wheter or not you convinced the opposing part.

nah

It's either a polite way to dismiss a weak point, or a persuasive delivery system for a straw man.

I think you're overstating the case a bit. Sure, it can be fucking annoying, but you seem to be insisting that positions have no nuance or room for concession.

>Sure, it can be fucking annoying, but

You motherfucker

elaborate pls, sounds like bullshit bruv

How would you measure the accomplishment of a debate?

I fully disagree with this. I've seen many debates occur that have been beneficial to all parties involved.

maybe reading isn't for you

alright millennial faggot

If you are 37 and browsing Veeky Forums you have bigger problems than the word "sure"

lol just tryna get your goat my man, and i succeeded

sure.

By how well you persuaded the audience.

Nobody said that it wasn't beneficial, just that you will always fail if think winning a debate means that your opponent will admit to changing their mind.

more or less this

I usually use sure sarcastically
I dont discuss things with people, people are fucking morons (not that im really all that smart)

>I dont discuss things with people

The first step towards enlightenment. Good for you, user.

have you tried talking to people? or do you study at some chintzy place like st johns?

Yes; debates are like masturbating and other people judge you for it instead of thinking for themselves about the topic.

Sure, I'm a motherfucker. But I think I've made my point.

>or do you study at some chintzy place like st johns?

shots fired

>have you tried talking to people?

Not since March of 2004. The last time I came in contact with another human's skin was 1999.

I am divine.

you can persuade the others involved sometimes, it definitely depends on the stubbornness of their character

I've had strong views on certain subjects and then was proven wrong, and although didn't 100% admit it at the time, I researched it further and changed my opinion on it

because people want to save face (especially if they have huge egos) don't expect for them to admit they are wrong, and don't let a debate get autismal and aggressive

jealous maybe idk anymore