Have any of you broken a can opener before or is it just me that's a certain type of special?

Have any of you broken a can opener before or is it just me that's a certain type of special?

I just used a fucking knife to open canned beans

I have a few broken can openers in my second drawer.

Thank God it's not just me, because my family is losing their shit over my stupidity right now

The cheap ones tend to have the teeth on the wheel round off and become worthless. Sometimes they don't work just right with some can types and you end up with the big teeth on the gears not meshing correctly. Adding more pressure to get things working can break them.

Can openers are one of those tools you need several.

Maybe you just had a cheap one but I've had the same can opener in my house for like 18 years and its never failed me. even has a bottle opener on the end

never wash a can opener. water wrecks them.

They break super easy desu. Especially the cheap ones, you'd think it's simple to make them but it's not

Must've been a cheap piece of trash. Buy like a $16 one and you'll never need another one after.

but.. gross

The damn gears are always some shit metal that's the point of faliure so you buy more.

Had one that served faithfully for decades that broke a year ago.
Have gone through two cheapos since.

Only use a Leatherman in this house.. it's all we got, and it works flawless.

Get a gearless style can opener. These things don't break.

Must've been your retard strength, retard.

Everyone in this thread already beat me to it, but tl;dr is you get what you pay for.

Go old school and let your family fuck up the "good" can openers.

I have broken cheap can openers, high end "premium" grad can openers with magnets to hold the can in place and generic can openers, that came in a kitchen tool set.

So what are good can openers?

My mom had a single can opener from 1978 to 2009 and the only reason it got replaced is because someone managed to bend it.

I've had can openers last only a year before shitting out. The most any has lasted for me is 3 years.

P-38...nice!

Honestly, just the old ones. Found a can opener in my basement that must be from the 70s. Thing is bulletproof and cuts cans like butter. Don't know what kind of chineseium they're made of today, but old ones are made of pure, strong, American steel.

i surmise youre a chair killer

I go through these little shits like crazy. I hate it when they fray the labels and get little bits of it in the food.

I know there are shitty ones that won't get a decent grip, but I've never seen one break.

You could try the kind that removes the lid from the side. My parents used to have one of those and it worked pretty smoothly.

Don't you have easy open cans in Murrica?

Treat yourself. Go for the snap lock.

Instead of fucking around with shit can openers you could always just buy a proper all metal one that will never break.

>2017
>Buying cheap shit chink made can openers
>KEK

I've had mine for for years, shit says "Made in West Germany" on it, get on my level, cucks

I've broken loads of can openers that I've purchased at dollar stores but never a decent one. Just spend more than $1 next time you buy one.

I have given up on can openers, no matter how cheap or how expensive they are. I just use the can opening tool on a Swiss Army Knife. It works flawlessly, never breaks or wears out and with a bit of practice it is as quick or quicker than any can opener.

I mean that thing, in case you are wondering

Always used those as a bottle opener.

Never figured out how the fuck you're supposed to open a can with those!

>Made in West Germany

You pierce the can with the pointy bit and the round bit underneath goes on the outside rim

Then you just go around the edge pushing the pointer bit in and using the rounder part as leverage against the can rim

>Made in West Germany
So we're only supposed to buy vintage can openers?
Because this seems to be the consensus of this thread, along with non-mechanical ones.

Still made no sense at all, so i just spent the past 10 minutes looking up how to use the swiss army knife variants on youtube....

How is it even possible that you're an adult but have never seen how a traditional can opener is used?

i got one of those.

>shilling
That word again, Veeky Forums.

rather ironic to hear that shit from a namefag

How is it ironic?
Do you understand irony?
I don't think you do.

A true shill is supposed to say so. Those are the rules.