I kinda want to start writing a light novel, but I'm too self-concious that it's very similar to the homage/inspiration

I kinda want to start writing a light novel, but I'm too self-concious that it's very similar to the homage/inspiration.

I know that most things aren't entirely original either, but this is the first time I can actually conceptualize a fictional story from the beginning to end.

What should I do?

Suicide?

all light novels are regurgitated trash, you're A-OK, op

Honestly that's a very attractive option right now.

Keep at it. Like the other user said, LNs are filled to the brim with tropes and cliches, that's part of what makes them easy to read for most people. As long as you aren't copying any names or overly specific concepts, you're fine.

Out of curiosity, what inspired you? I went through a LN stint myself after reading Shakugan no Shana

Re:Monster, Legendary Moonlight Sculptor, I'm A Spider So What?.

Provided that all I've read are translations, I kinda like the way the stories are written. They're almost always in first person and the language used is simple and relatable, as if the characters are talking directly to you in a casual manner.

Thought I could pull it off when I have a story in mind. How'd your LN go?

>What should I do?
Write it. You gotta start somewhere, right? You'll never know the end result if you don't try.

I actually own this series of LNs from back in highschool. No fucking wonder I got (get) not pussy. Should I neck?

Somebody recommend me some light novels that are fun and translated.
I don't care if it isn't lit.
And just write whatever you feel like to OP.
If you try to write something other than what you actually want to write it will be shit.

Man, I've been out of the weeb game for a while, haven't heard of any of those. But that casual tone and straight-forward story is what separates light novel from regular novels. They're easy to pick up and read on the train, or while you're standing in a grocery line, and they're usually pretty fun.

My attempt made it through two 40k word books of utter trash before I decided to go back to writing western style novels again. It was definitely a good learning experience though, it's always good to test out different styles.

the LN translation scene is pretty trash, most of the good stuff have pretty subpar translations desu

Post favorite light novel series and favorite regular author.
>Index
>Pynchon

>The Devil Is a Part Timer!
>George Orwell

I'm a Veeky Forums newbie and only read 2 light novel series which includes the one I listed. Don't hurt me.

Not a bad choice. What is the other?

Mildly off topic, but is the Bakemonogatari translation any good? I want some weebshit on my bookshelf

Haruhi, or NHK if that counts as light novel
Joyce or Ovid.

Oregairu
Tolstoy

Baccano.

Yen press has about as good of translations as you're going to get with light novels, so I'd recommend a few of those for your shelf.
Don't know about bake, because the original is chock full of Japanese language specific jokes, references and puns, so I fear it'd be a ghost of it's native counterpart. But again, it's probably as good as you'll get with a translation, so might as well.

SAO
Kerouac

I've settled with the fact that I'm genetically dispositioned to enjoy eating shit

My nigga, same as you.

I probably wouldn't be into reading if it wasn't for light novels, back when I spent all day on /a/

Gosick.
Kafka

This. You been to /a/ in recent times? I can't remember it being this fucking terrible. When ever I feel like Veeky Forums is trash I just go to /a/ for a few minutes to show myself how well we have it here.

Nisio's works are licensed by Vertical, though. Which is head and shoulders above Jew press in quality

Don't have a favorite author.

Arifureta and dungeon seeker have given me a LN boner though, trying to write one with a western feel at the moment but it just isn't working.
There's something about the condensed language they use which alludes me.

If the thing that has inspired you is good people will appreciate more of it.
Don't try to write something you personally wouldn't read, or you'll burn out.

Light novel is a marketing label. You can only create one by publishing with a Japanese imprint. Otherwise, your story will just be an English YA novel that awkwardly copies anime tropes.

Haha, jokes on you!