Do you think it would be beneficial for humanity to switch over to base 60? And also switch to the metric system...

Do you think it would be beneficial for humanity to switch over to base 60? And also switch to the metric system, for those of us who still haven't.

Other urls found in this thread:

duodecimal.net/archives/duodecimal/duodecimal.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Regarding not fractional bases - 3 is optimal.

But it is broke
I personally think base 12 is enough

What number system is this? I've seen it before, all i know its BC.

Base 30 would be a lot better because its 2*3*5 more primes less repetion maximum compactness

I just googled base 60 and used one of the first pictures, so I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure it is Babylonian. I know they used sexagesimal at least, or something similar. Instead of fingers o count 1-10, they used the notches on their fingers of one hand and the 5 fingers on their other hand. 3 notches *4 fingers for 1-12, and then the other hand to multiply, so 12*5 = 60. Really cool system, shame it didn't become the standard.

No. Imagine how many keys you'd need on a calculator. (And don't say "2 keystrokes to enter a digit." Removes any advantage.) Also, having to memorize multiplication tables up to 60*60.
Seriously, ain't gonna happen.

But metrification, definitely YES.

>ha can’t multiply by 2.54 or 5/9 in his head

>having to memorize multiplication tables up to 60*60
imagine the poor kids in school when they find out

I mean we use base 60 for time, but I like my base 2, 8, 10 and 15

Base 64

>memorize multiplication tables
>memorize

Found the brainlet.

>. Imagine how many keys you'd need on a calculator.

You mean like how the Function key works already?

Hexadecimal, unironically
Inb4 "CS fag"

>having to memorize multiplication tables
Who needs multiplication when you can already count to 60?

>base 60
>symbol pattern changes at 10
almonds, etc.

This is just base 10 but it only goes up to 60.

Base 60 would be every number up to 60 having a unique symbol, where 60 would then be written as "10"

This system has 2 symbols which makes it closer to binary, but really its just tarded tally marks.

Whoever calls this base 60 is a breihenlette

Base 10 > Base A

Base 18

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
a b c d e f g h
a-j = the infinite repeating decimal representation of numbers 1-8, like 0.111•••, 0.222•••, 0.333•••, etc.
0.999••• would be written as 1 or 0.c×3, and counting as such works. If c is the repeating equivalent of 3, then we count 3×3 on the repeating line
abc def gh0

Base 8 or 16 seems ideal to me.

What's the symbol for zero?

11, minus the symbols for ten and one...

Zero hadnt been invented yet

How are you supposed to count past 59?

Base e is objectively the optimal choice for radix economy.

Doesn't comfortably fit on your hands though. A good base system should be intuitive enough for kids to count on their fingers, lest you want everybody to be even LESS interested in maths.
Base 12 is pretty ideal for this purpose because you have 12 notches on your four fingers, making it easy to count with your thumb. It also makes more sense in a lot of practical "human" applications, like how things tend to get sold by the dozen and not by 10s.

>lest you want everybody to be even LESS interested in maths
Not him, but I don't think the majority of people being disinterested in mathematics is a bad thing. It's not like pre-industrialization where more laborers are always better, you only need a very small handful of skillful autists to make the important mathematical findings. Better to have a smaller number of such autists with greater degrees of skill required for them to be interested in the first place than to have a large number of non-autist normies who contribute lots of garbage because they were lured in with a dumbed down "fun" version of maths.

>My field of study is a secret club! Anybody not absolutely in love with it should stay away!
You still need to know how to count and shit, basic mathematics and algebra are essential to like 90% of everybody.

Wtf is past 59? why would anyone need to count that high.

I dunno

Teaching finger binary would allow for higher counting and increase dexterity and finger muscle control. Base12 is just meme counting.

If it's actually essential then they'll learn it regardless. That's by definition what essential implies.

One person counts to 59 on both hands and then you get a second person to stand next to them and start counting again, so side-by-side you have 59+n like "59 and 1" for the first number greater than 59.

UNARY, MOTHERFUCKER

Base 12, please. Metric is for dumdums.
duodecimal.net/archives/duodecimal/duodecimal.html

pls no